Zach Hyman A.K.A Babcock's Son Appreciation Thread

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Babcock's thought process isn't that hard to understand.

His goal is to spread our talent over the roster instead of stacking talent within the roster. Also he rolls with pairs and a complimentary player to the pairs in regards to forward lines.

Even defence he spreads our best 3 defense out. Reilly gardiner dermott all play different pairs so that at least one is on at all times.

But it is hard to understand apparently, just read the thread ;)

Reactions: DoobieDubas

Jun 27, 2005
From what i see, Babcocks coaching systems needs just 2 skilled forwards on his #1,2 lines ... He gets the extra offence from the D'men pushing forward (Rielly, Gardiner) this allows Babcock to have more depth down the lineup. You need to understand Babcocks coach's systems, structure, etc.

NHL coaching is not as easy as just putting the guys with the best hands on a line and telling them to just win. lol

If you give 30 nhl coaches all the same players do you actually think you will get the same lineup with all the coaches? they all have there own coaching philosophy on how to win.

i also follow Babcocks interviews on the Leafs youtube channel, he is pretty chatty and knows his ****

To simplify things, the problem with this system of Babcock's is that a 4th liner gets 1st liner ice time. That's the problem. At the very least let's see which fourth liner is best suited for this role but we don't get that either. Babcock has been known to play favorites to the detriment of his team. Hyman is a at best a fourth liner and should get about 10 minutes a night.

Last edited:

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
Zach Hyman doesn't get the credit he deserves. He's a good guy, a hard worker and one of the players who tries hardest on this Leafs team. He also doesn't take a lot of shifts off, and is constantly going after the puck.

Sure, he's not the most offensive player, but he's a good person to have on this team and doesn't deserve all the shit he gets.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
To simplify things, the problem with this system of Babcock's is that a 4th liner gets 1st liner ice time. That's the problem. At the very least let's see which fourth liner is best suited for this role but we don't get that either. Babcock has been know to play favorites to the detriment of his team. Hyman is a at best a fourth liner and should get about 10 minutes a night.

Bud,To simplify things, Babcock got to be the best of the best by doing things his way, if he did things your way, I doubt he would be making 8 mil aav coaching the Leafs....

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Zach Hyman doesn't get the credit he deserves. He's a good guy, a hard worker and one of the players who tries hardest on this Leafs team. He also doesn't take a lot of shifts off, and is constantly going after the puck.

Sure, he's not the most offensive player, but he's a good person to have on this team and doesn't deserve all the **** he gets.
he may be a great guy or he may an asshole but what does that have to do with the amount of ice time he should get ?

Jun 27, 2005
Bud, Babcock got to be the best of the best by doing things his way, if he did things your way, I doubt he would be making 8 mil aav coaching the Leafs....

If that's all you've got "bud", then you should probably put me on ignore because you are in way over your head. Good night.

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
he may be a great guy or he may an ******* but what does that have to do with the amount of ice time he should get ?

You failed to talk about the rest of my post, where I said he doesn't take shifts off, is one of the hardest working players out there and always goes after the puck.

I don't always agree with Babcock and often wonder if we'd be better off with a less stubborn coach, but he's right with Hyman. Hyman is a good player.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
If that's all you've got "bud", then you should probably put me on ignore because you are in way over your head. Good night.

I dont put anybody on ignore, go ahead with your whine, its all good ;)

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
It would be interesting to see how many of the dinosaurs would be complaining about a lack of secondary scoring if we had stacked lines.

My guess is most of them. It is an inability to see past the tip of their nose.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
You failed to talk about the rest of my post, where I said he doesn't take shifts off, is one of the hardest working players out there and always goes after the puck.

I don't always agree with Babcock and often wonder if we'd be better off with a less stubborn coach, but he's right with Hyman. Hyman is a good player.
what's Babs right about ?

all i heard for 2 yrs was how irreplaceable Hyman was to Mathews line and then when Mathews produced better without him the fan club just shifted to how important Hyman is to JT/,Marner

Hyman works hard , if he was played on 3rd/4th and getting the 10/12 mins without any extremely skilled players people would see what a worthless stiff he is .

the funny part is that people actually think Hyman has some special skill set and that's why Babs overplays him , unfortunately the fact is Babs just loves unskilled hard working players just like he did in Det with Abdelker/Glendening and a washed up Cleary

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
It would be interesting to see how many of the dinosaurs would be complaining about a lack of secondary scoring if we had stacked lines.

My guess is most of them. It is an inability to see past the tip of their nose.
our 3rd/4th lines haven't scored all season , so what the f*** are babbling about ?

Reactions: frizzer1

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
what's Babs right about ?

all i heard for 2 yrs was how irreplaceable Hyman was to Mathews line and then when Mathews produced better without him the fan club just shifted to how important Hyman is to JT/,Marner

Hyman works hard , if he was played on 3rd/4th and getting the 10/12 mins without any extremely skilled players people would see what a worthless stiff he is .

the funny part is that people actually think Hyman has some special skill set and that's why Babs overplays him , unfortunately the fact is Babs just loves unskilled hard working players just like he did in Det with Abdelker/Glendening and a washed up Cleary

i'm pretty sure babcock has made it clear Hyman is on Tavares or Matthews line to forecheck, create turnovers, distract, etc... He likes his secondary winger on his skilled lines to fill that role and expects offence from a couple of his top 4 d'men (Rielly,Jake).

You should look at the Matthews line as a 5 man unit and the Tavares line as 5 man unit, it will help you understand Babs lines structure or you can be old school and just think there is 1,2,3.4 lines and play old school non systematic hockey. etc

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
our 3rd/4th lines haven't scored all season , so what the **** are babbling about ?

Exactly.
So playing a skilled guy like Johnsson with Lindholm and brown gives them balance?
If he played with tavares/marner how would that ruin the "balance".
It's all babcockian nonsense.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
i'm pretty sure babcock has made it clear Hyman is on Tavares or Matthews line to forecheck, create turnovers, distract, etc...

Turnovers? What turnovers?
Hyman did absolutely nothing in this game.
Everything Marner and tavares did was due to them only.Hyman was not involved in any of it.
If they had a skilled winger with them who knows what they could produce?
But,alas,with this stubborn coach we will never find out.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Exactly.
So playing a skilled guy like Johnsson with Lindholm and brown gives them balance?
If he played with tavares/marner how would that ruin the "balance".
It's all babcockian nonsense.

So if these 3rd.4th line guys suck with sheltered minutes, you think they will play better against 1st and 2nd line players?

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Everything Marner and tavares did was due to them only.Hyman was not involved in any of it.
I am talking over a season + and not cherry picking a game.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
i'm pretty sure babcock has made it clear Hyman is on Tavares or Matthews line to forecheck, create turnovers, distract, etc... He likes his secondary winger on his skilled lines to fill that role and expects offence from a couple of his top 4 d'men (Rielly,Jake).

You should look at the Matthews line as a 5 man unit and the Tavares line as 5 man unit, it will help you understand Babs lines structure or you can be old school and just think there is 1,2,3.4 lines and play old school non systematic hockey. etc
i fully understand how Babs likes to build his lines , i just don't agree with Hyman playing over 21 mins which led the team as well as playing over 2 min more than Tavares ,

you however seem to agree with Babs and believes Hyman should lead the forwards in ice time like he did tonight so i guess we'll just agree to disagree

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
i fully understand how Babs likes to build his lines , i just don't agree with Hyman playing over 21 mins which led the team as well as playing over 2 min more than Tavares ,

you however seem to agree with Babs and believes Hyman should lead the forwards in ice time like he did tonight so i guess we'll just agree to disagree

lmao, sorry, your post amused me ... the part where you say me and babs think Hyman should lead the team in ATOI.

tonight's game below, if you have comon sense, all should be good :)

even strength
  • 19:22 Marner
  • 18:15 Tavares
  • 17:25 Hyman
  • 16:13 Kadri

5-vs-5
  • 18:28 Marner
  • 17:19 Tavares
  • 16:22 Hyman
  • 15:06 Kadri
PP
  • :54 Marner
  • :54 Tavares
  • :55 Hyman
  • :54 Kadri
PK
  • 0:10 Marner
  • 0:01 Tavares
  • 3:04 Hyman
  • 0:00 Kadri

Reactions: White Shadow

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Hyman did nothing? Hahaha
I guess you're only concerned with getting points? Oh wait, check the score sheet :dunno:

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
If Hyman is so unbelievably valuable and the key to generating offense, shouldn't he be with Gauthier? Isn't there enough talent on the Tavares line already and Hyman can add his elite magic skill and truly balance the attack on the 4th line?
Babcock logic doesn't compute.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad