Zach Hyman A.K.A Babcock's Son Appreciation Thread

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
But on the Marleau-Matthews-Kapanen unit, Kapanen was replacing Nylander's skill role.. Marleau would compare to Hyman but obviously he doesn't bring the same crash and bang hustle.
There's no role in the top 6 that requires you to not produce offensively. Kapanen plays a very similar role to Hyman, but is far superior offensively.

Kappy is playing Nylander's side, but the whole line's roles have changed. He plays a style that utilizes his speed on the forecheck, much like Marleau, not like Nylander. He's just a player who has the skill to capitalize on the opportunities his linemates provide him, while being able to produce his own chances too. Hyman can't do those things, unfortunately.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Hahaha
I don't think you should be speaking on my behalf
just trying to be of service

but as you said , there's no way to know if JT/MM would be anywhere near as effective without the Hyman , sure they've been extremely productive their entire lives apart but since we have no sample size of them being productive together without Hyman feeding them tap ins there's no way in gods green earth we should take the chance of trying a different winger since the world may just explode if we did

Reactions: saltming

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
just trying to be of service

but as you said , there's no way to know if JT/MM would be anywhere near as effective without the Hyman , sure they've been extremely productive their entire lives apart but since we have no sample size of them being productive together without Hyman feeding them tap ins there's no way in gods green earth we should take the chance of trying a different winger since the world may just explode if we did
If you say so

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
If you say so
just channeling my inner Saltming

of course i'd have to turn around and spin all of this once JT/MM prove they don't need 10 thumbs to produce but until that time i'll just continue to argue how almost irreplaceable Hyman is

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
There's no role in the top 6 that requires you to not produce offensively. Kapanen plays a very similar role to Hyman, but is far superior offensively.

Kappy is playing Nylander's side, but the whole line's roles have changed. He plays a style that utilizes his speed on the forecheck, much like Marleau, not like Nylander. He's just a player who has the skill to capitalize on the opportunities his linemates provide him, while being able to produce his own chances too. Hyman can't do those things, unfortunately.

Agreed, however everything you said is not a knock on hyman but more of a positive on kappy.

Hyman is IMO one of the best in the league at what he does and will be paid accordingly to that, which is valueable to us when we have a bunch of high paid stars.

Id have hyman in my bottom 6 every day of the week.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
No those are the facts
tenor.gif

Reactions: stickty111

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
just channeling my inner Saltming

of course i'd have to turn around and spin all of this once JT/MM prove they don't need 10 thumbs to produce but until that time i'll just continue to argue how almost irreplaceable Hyman is
Classic projection.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
People need to lay off this guy. I was one of his biggest detractors in his rookie year with Matthews and Nylander but he's actually looked great with Marner and Tavares this year. He tracks pucks down in the corners to help the other two set up the cycle game down low and dominate possession. Plus, having a guy who's less of an offensive catalyst lets us spread our offence rather evenly across three lines (once everyone's back in the lineup).

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
no you said Tkachuk was the only player in the NHL that could replace Hyman and we had no one that could replace Hyman on AM's line

two ****ing years of having to listen to you say no one on the roster could replace Hyman on AM's wing and now your reduced to spinning crap try to dig yourself out , that's actually very sad
Look at Kappy.

It's a f***ing miracle what happens when we actually give other players a shot with our stars. He's doing a hell of a lot better than one complete fluke goal in 14 games.

I don't understand this fanbase's incessant need to rubber-stamp every lineup move Babcock makes.

Reactions: hotpaws

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
People don't like it because he doesn't actually compliment them. His mediocre stats are a result of his star linemates, not the other way around.

Look at Kasperi Kapanen. He has taken a spot in the top 6 and has been very productive with his time. He is a skilled player and does everything Hyman did and more. He struggled offensively in the bottom 6, but has enough skill to take advantage of playing with good linemates. Kappy's putting up numbers Hyman has never been able to while playing the same role.

That's why Hyman is so frustrating to watch. You see guys with actual offensive talent flourish playing with these stars, while Hyman continues to be mediocre at best.

When you're talking stats, some fans couldn't find where to locate hits, blocked shots, giveaways, takeaways, on nhl.com with a direct link to the site either. Some fans haven't see players
score 80 goals with someone like Sergio Momesso on the other wing. Mark Osborne had a career .57 points per game... and a lot of this was through the high scoring `80's. Didn't stop Leeman from getting 50 goals, in fact he was a catalyst for that offense. Sometimes when you set the table, you include a fork, knife, and a spoon. Stating that three knifes would cut better doesn't necessarily bring you success.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Look at Kappy.

It's a ****ing miracle what happens when we actually give other players a shot with our stars. He's doing a hell of a lot better than one complete fluke goal in 14 games.

I don't understand this fan base's incessant need to rubber-stamp every lineup move Babcock makes
the worst part is even after AM produced better without Hyman they just ignored it and shifted to how important Hyman is to JT/MM

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Yeah except he averages 2nd most icetime on team last year for forwards. If he was playing bottom 6 minutes without one of the most prolific scorers in the league last year he would be in the bottom 50. 34 and 29 inflated his numbers period
Facts say your wrong. Look at the 20 games that Mathews was out last year and you will see that Nylanders numbers dropped while Hyman production stayed the same.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
the worst part is even after AM produced better without Hyman they just ignored it and shifted to how important Hyman is to JT/MM
That's all without Nylander too. Hyman being off of his line actually helped that much and it's not like Marleau and Kappy are world-beaters.

It's gotten to the point where Hyman can literally do no wrong. If he's a warm body on the ice, he's important to our superstar players.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013

And if Hyman were replaced on Tavares' line and the line exploded.......crickets..........then on to the next line where Hyman is absolutely essential........so no matter where Hyman is placed he will be one of league's best.......

Subway Schenn

Jun 24, 2018
London, UK
I don't care if perhaps he's a 3rd line talent. That kind of heart playing with Auston will never be a bad thing. In time his spot will be taken by more talented players as he moves down the lineup but I have done a complete 360 on my opinion about him. I'm a fan and happy to have him.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
That's all without Nylander too. Hyman being off of his line actually helped that much and it's not like Marleau and Kappy are world-beaters.

It's gotten to the point where Hyman can literally do no wrong. If he's a warm body on the ice, he's important to our superstar players.

With Hyman off Matthews' line there was no one to mess up play after play and so Matthews got more opportunities and BAM.....goals and more goals...

Reactions: ToMaLe

Knightnight

Mar 18, 2014
Facts say your wrong. Look at the 20 games that Mathews was out last year and you will see that Nylanders numbers dropped while Hyman production stayed the same.

Good response to half the argument. I said if he played bottom six. He still played top minutes without Matthews and Willy got releagted to the 3rd line during most of that time. I will look for a break down during 34s injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->