Player Discussion: Zach Bogosian

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
hes literally only behind Hedman and Kucherov on the team these playoffs in individual shot attempts/60. why is he shooting that much. why

I can answer that.

We've literally spent out last 2 playoff series (CBJ and WSH) attacking with 3 forwards against 5 players and a goalie committed to not letting us get a single scoring chance. It resulted in too many "one and done" possessions. The defense would just stand there terrified that puck would ever come to them and was only there so they could backtrack against the rush that was due to come their way. Carlson and Orlov on the other hand were so involved that they combined for more shots than our entire defense outside of Hedman. Any time they shot it created a chance down low.

It's what Bogosian is trying to do. He's just not good at it. But I'll forgive him for it because for the duration of the Jon Cooper era, our defense has seldom taken 5 on 5 shots from the blue line the way Bogosian does. Only Hedman and Sergachev really do it.

Reactions: VoluntaryDom

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Bogo has been great, and the shots are exactly what they're after; movement in the lanes for tip drills just isn't fully there. I would prefer them to work more down low, though, and break up that structure that CBJ adheres to so well.

They haven't been able to figure out how to open up the lanes, and subsequently jam them with our forwards just yet, and not sure they will (or after today, may not need to, but we'll see).

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I will have to eat a little crow about BoGo he has been really effective. I would like to see his hard shot from the blueline a little more often it creates rebounds and our net guys could feast on that now. There is one thing that is driving me nuts still with him and Shattenkirk, those damn stretch passes especially when the bottom 9 are on the ice. Point and Kuch can handle those without losing pocession of the puck the rest struggle especially Palat who lost the puck they sent to him three time last game.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
hes literally only behind Hedman and Kucherov on the team these playoffs in individual shot attempts/60. why is he shooting that much. why
Not just him, but the dmen in general have led the team in shots. Bolts have for much of the series, fallen into Columbus' trap where they gave us that shot from the blueline while building a wall around Korpisalo - thus the heavy amount of dmen shots.

1. Kucherov - 24 shots
2. Hedman - 23 shots
3. Point - 23 shots
4. McDonagh - 20 shots
5. Bogosian - 20 shots
6. Sergachev - 18 shots

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
Bogo is playing well. Maybe I would like to see lil bit more aggression from him. Hopefully we can resign him somehow for future)

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Bogo is playing well. Maybe I would like to see lil bit more aggression from him. Hopefully we can resign him somehow for future)
Maybe take another cheap 1 year. I def don't wanna sign him anymore than a 2 year at this point.

We need a spot open for Foote next year.

aessi

Jan 1, 2015
shooting it into the goalie's chest ends a possession. cycling it around the boards, with how good our forwards are in the cycle game, continues to hem in the other team and can generate better opportunities.

Lmao this is how we lost to Columbus last year.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I feel like Foote hasn't given us much reason for optimism.

I'm in the same boat. Foote literally only brings draft pedigree. Why would we save a roster spot for him when we have the inside track on a future partner for Hedman and for cheap? Even if he came back, Bogosian is going to be cheap. So too would Shattenkirk.

Earn it the hard way Cal. Everyone else has to

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Ehhh he wasn't all that amazing for the Jets either. He's a little bit like a defensive counterpart to Taylor Hall in that here you've got a player taken high (3rd overall for Bogo) and spend your whole career stuck on shit teams almost never making the playoffs. Only difference is Hall has lived up to his potential at times. Bogo is 30 and this might be the first time in his career he's looked good.

Or we can just blame the greatness of Victor Hedman again. Personally this is the route I'm taking and would gladly have Bogo back another year if I knew this is what we'd get.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I think it can’t be stated enough that while Bogo looked solid and played really well so far that Hedman just makes anyone look great. Dotchin, Rutta and now Bogo - just looking over the last two years.

He just covers so much ice and space and his presence on the ice alone forces teams to play differently against us and in consequence his partners benefit a lot from that. They have a bit more time and space, can afford to take more risks etc.

We are truly lucky to have arguably the best and most complete defenseman in the league on the team allowing us to spread our wealth over all three pairings (McD, Serg...) instead of rolling 1-2 good pairs and have a shit 3rd pairing logging 5-8mins a night.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think it can’t be stated enough that while Bogo looked solid and played really well so far that Hedman just makes anyone look great. Dotchin, Rutta and now Bogo - just looking over the last two years.

He just covers so much ice and space and his presence on the ice alone forces teams to play differently against us and in consequence his partners benefit a lot from that. They have a bit more time and space, can afford to take more risks etc.

We are truly lucky to have arguably the best and most complete defenseman in the league on the team allowing us to spread our wealth over all three pairings (McD, Serg...) instead of rolling 1-2 good pairs and have a shit 3rd pairing logging 5-8mins a night.

Hedman's pairing always seems to thrive when his partner really REALLY knows his role and doesn't venture outside it.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think Tampa's speed really helps backing up Bogosian. I think it's pretty clear he's the slowest defenseman on the back end, this is probably a big weakness on bad defensive teams like the Sabers and Thrashers/Jets but he hasn't been exposed because Hedman covers a ton of ice quickly and the forwards back him up.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Ehhh he wasn't all that amazing for the Jets either. He's a little bit like a defensive counterpart to Taylor Hall in that here you've got a player taken high (3rd overall for Bogo) and spend your whole career stuck on shit teams almost never making the playoffs. Only difference is Hall has lived up to his potential at times. Bogo is 30 and this might be the first time in his career he's looked good.

Or we can just blame the greatness of Victor Hedman again. Personally this is the route I'm taking and would gladly have Bogo back another year if I knew this is what we'd get.
I think that argument goes for just about everyone with Hedman, he can carry just about anyone. I never found him to be a terrible defender, but was often stuck with unstable coaching and rosters and that just doesn't often bode well for young defenders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad