Player Discussion: Zach Bogosian

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Yes? Can you point to me at any point in his career Bogosian was a #2 defenseman?

What did we tell MTL fans about Drouin or a ducks fans about Sustr? Or are we just a dumb bitter fanbase too?

Im not expecting him to be a # 2 D. Im expecting him to get a look because we could need him if our guys get hurt.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If he's better than Schenn we can use him in games that are expected to get out of hand. I don't think signing him changed our regular top-6 at all. Rutta showed enough to have secured his role with the team. Coburn, Schenn, and Bogosian are just spare parts.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Bogo:
1 Game
-2 rating
-2 testes
Also for a guy with a "mean" reputation he played passively as shit when it came to actual defense. Good aggression isn't facewashes after the whistle - it's taking away time and space and making people think twice about going to certain areas.

Schenn isn't a better player, but he at least seems to have internalized that element of the game. All I saw was Bogosian giving up ice like he was pouring drinks at a pool party.

Reactions: Chainshot

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Also for a guy with a "mean" reputation he played passively as shit when it came to actual defense. Good aggression isn't facewashes after the whistle - it's taking away time and space and making people think twice about going to certain areas.

Schenn isn't a better player, but he at least seems to have internalized that element of the game. All I saw was Bogosian giving up ice like he was pouring drinks at a pool party.
Well the "mean" reputation is all the after the whistle stuff. Thats all it has ever been.

I'm going to give him a pass right this moment as it was his first game on short notice and I think one practice for him. I don't have the bar very high and I expect him to be a bit better (actually, quite a bit better, just control your f***ing gap) but we'll see as time goes on. I guess for 300k it isn't a bad deal but i'd have rather given the time to Gaunce, take a peek at Foote, etc.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I'm going to give him a pass right this moment as it was his first game on short notice and I think one practice for him. I don't have the bar very high and I expect him to be a bit better (actually, quite a bit better, just control your f***ing gap) but we'll see as time goes on. I guess for 300k it isn't a bad deal but i'd have rather given the time to Gaunce, take a peek at Foote, etc.

This was all I was trying to say. We gotta give him a little bit more time than 1 game to see if he "gets it" as a low pairing D on this team. Maybe he thrives in that role. Im not going to bet on it but we did pay him 300k to see. Id rather give Gaunce or Foote a chance too but I doubt that decision to do that will come right after his first game.

Reactions: Still All In

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
It is a matter of time especially if Coop keeps running him out there with Coburn. That pairing is going to give up 3 goals in a game and both will be crucified along with Coop.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Well the "mean" reputation is all the after the whistle stuff. Thats all it has ever been.

Gap control and defensive decision making have never been his forte. His hip issues have robbed him of any recovery or closing speed he once had.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Gap control and defensive decision making have never been his forte. His hip issues have robbed him of any recovery or closing speed he once had.
Yeah, i'm familiar. If he could play a bit more conservative he could actually be okay, but him jumping into plays just isn't working.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Schenn is a much better player. Always has been. There's not a single thing Bogosian does better than Schenn. Not in hockey anyway.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
76C5A74E-E5BB-46C2-8412-36D2ABCE1842.png
8FC0B6C8-7782-42A9-B11B-D607F7C37466.png

Sample size obviously make this completely meaningless but I don’t think Schenn has had a single 3 game stretch this good in his career.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Solid bottom 5/6/7 defenseman who has a heavy shot and is physical. His skating is slow compared to what it used to be. He has a lot to prove similar to the Shatterkirk signing. He is playing to win now and win for his future. He is similar signing to Schenn depth and bottom 6 pairing guy.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Solid bottom 5/6/7 defenseman who has a heavy shot and is physical. His skating is slow compared to what it used to be. He has a lot to prove similar to the Shatterkirk signing. He is playing to win now and win for his future. He is similar signing to Schenn depth and bottom 6 pairing guy.
Yeah this is bullshit. He's not actually physical (where it matters). His heavy shot is only a threat to Point's nuts. He's not a 5/6/7 Dman, he's a 7/8/9 Dman. He should not be getting regular ice time on a pro roster.

Reactions: JoVel

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
View attachment 329275 View attachment 329277

Sample size obviously make this completely meaningless but I don’t think Schenn has had a single 3 game stretch this good in his career.
Guy who has been sheltered has numbers that reflect he is sheltered.

Also get more f***ing educated on advanced stats instead of posting a chart and thinking that is the same as analysis.

Reactions: JoVel

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
So shocked you're carrying water for one of the stupider moves this stupid franchise has done over the past year. Totally did not see that coming.

How is signing a depth defender, when we have injuries on defense, a stupid move? A stupid move would've been paying a 2nd for a Scandella or Dillon.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
How is signing a depth defender, when we have injuries on defense, a stupid move? A stupid move would've been paying a 2nd for a Scandella or Dillon.

Well if we are banged up in the back end in the playoffs again I know people will wish we spent the assets on another D but that would be like people now upset that we didnt go for top 6 F with Stamkos out. If we are indeed going to be healthy on D when the playoffs start then yea another D acquisition in that mold wouldnt have made sense.

I wanted us to pick up someone in case that did happen. Dont know if Bogo is that guy but at least we didn't have to give up an asset for him. I think I remember Pittsburgh and some other contenders vying for him. I think we signed him in case we need him and so other contenders would need to pay for a D like him. He may not be very good but experienced D like him usually arent available for free.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
If only we had a young RHS defender in Syracuse to test in NHL action.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Can someone start the Bogosian Countdown Clock, please?! Go ahead and set it to 2, maybe 3 more games and then that should put an end to all this kvetching.

The man was brought in to keep each of Hedman, Shattenkirk, and Sergachev from adding about 6-7 minutes TOI per game and an NHL "games-played" veteran. Certainly not NHL Playoffs veteran. WTF is everybody expecting? Him to have 3-4 pts already? That somebody throw his ass over the seawall at Amalie and baptize him in Garrison Channel? If they did, that he'd all of sudden re emerge finally as that "highly-touted" 3rd overall pick? He's like a tool rental from Sunbelt rentals, Lowes, or Home Depot for half a day. Its beat up, isn't new and as originally advertised, scratched and dented to Hell but it did its job. Best thing is, I can return it.

It didn't cost the Org an asset. Just $323K. No additional picks. No other reserve list player or prospect. The other "better" options would have. I would gather the only reason they brought him in versus Cal Foote is because he already has NHL experience. I advocated that it was perhaps time to see where Cal's at regarding his development. But I get the move. I am not a Bogosian fan by any means but I get why.

God forbid they stood pat on the 24th, up the minutes of the top 3 guys and something happened to Hedman, Shattenkirk (albeit not to the disappointment of some around here), or Sergachev. Then what? All the arm-flailing and bitching "Why didn't they trade our 2021 1st for Dillon" or more higher-priced assets for a depth move.

This was our depth move. The cheapest depth move. For 4-6 games, at the most. Just countdown the games and minutes when McD is back and our Saviour from the Czech Republic returns.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->