Player Discussion: Zach Bogosian

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He's like a much smarter Gudas, he's noticeably the slowest defenseman but he doesn't get caught out of position for that to be exposed, he plays the body but doesn't go out of position to lay a hit. Not to mention the amount of bombs he puts on net.

Don't think he was always like this or else he would've been a much more valuable defenseman to his former teams, I think he's a guy who realizes he's on his last leg in the league and just needs to keep it simple.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
Solid 1 game. As has been said, just play a simple game next to Hedman and he did that. Hopefully he keeps it up.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Solid 1 game. As has been said, just play a simple game next to Hedman and he did that. Hopefully he keeps it up.

This. You just have to be in position and let Hedman do his thing. Hedman will be able get back if need be.

1-year contracts, at most

While the Hedman-Rutta pair has shown glimpses of being solid I do think next year our defense might be lacking in the physicality. Serg has a mean streak in him but Hedman and McD aren't usually to physical in terms of throwing the body around like Cernak. I'm not saying we need to just run around hitting everything but putting the fear of god in the forwards along the boards causes turn overs in our favour when the get nervous and hear footsteps approaching. Bogo does a good job as this. Wouldn't mind another cheap 1 year deal, should he keep his good play up.

Is Coburn still locked up next season. We do need a spot for Foote next year as well.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Maybe he can be our 2020 version of Nolan Pratt. I'm not gonna get too far ahead of myself after one game, but that was a very encouraging performance.
Solid comparison, but BOGO is a better skater. I liked Pratt and he was a key part for us to win the cup. Cullimore was another underrated physical player.

Reactions: Hoek

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
This. You just have to be in position and let Hedman do his thing. Hedman will be able get back if need be.

While the Hedman-Rutta pair has shown glimpses of being solid I do think next year our defense might be lacking in the physicality. Serg has a mean streak in him but Hedman and McD aren't usually to physical in terms of throwing the body around like Cernak. I'm not saying we need to just run around hitting everything but putting the fear of god in the forwards along the boards causes turn overs in our favour when the get nervous and hear footsteps approaching. Bogo does a good job as this. Wouldn't mind another cheap 1 year deal, should he keep his good play up.

Is Coburn still locked up next season. We do need a spot for Foote next year as well.
Gudas will be a UFA, as well. I'm not sure where his game has ended up all these years later.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I did not think this guy would be among the most pleasant surprises of this post-season. Honestly, if we get out of this series, and then his game falls apart? Still worth it.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I did not think this guy would be among the most pleasant surprises of this post-season. Honestly, if we get out of this series, and then his game falls apart? Still worth it.

I'm gonna enjoy it for as long as it lasts. The foolish optimist in me says this is a direct result of him actually being healthy for what is probably the first time in 10 years. It's almost hard to believe he's the same person we saw in Buffalo. Night and day. But that's playing for Hedman for ya... he will make anyone amazing

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Bogo has been great, but that confidence he has right now is a direct result of playing with Hedman. Bogo just needs to keep doing what he's doing and he will be on the top line with Hedman all playoffs.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
1-year contracts, at most

Definitely. I'm scared to death of when he gets hurt again. It's inevitable. But I'll take this for as long as it lasts because Bogo right now is basically what we hoped Dotchin would be. The only difference is Bogo isn't an illusion. He's been doing exactly this for 10 years now. The reason Bogo is succeeding so much is because he's partnered with a hockey God-King in Victor Hedman. Suddenly the most boring Lightning defenseman you've seen since Mike Lundin is utterly invaluable because he's good enough to let Hedman completely control the game the way he wants to because Bogo himself isn't going to make any stupid mistakes. He will stay in position, take the body when he has to and touch the puck for the sake of getting it away from our end.

But I'll take that injury risk all day. This is one of the most symbiotic relationships Hedman's ever had because Hedman not only looks better but Bogosian has finally found a partner that plays to his strengths as well

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Bogo has been great, but that confidence he has right now is a direct result of playing with Hedman. Bogo just needs to keep doing what he's doing and he will be on the top line with Hedman all playoffs.

Oh hell yeah brother. Run him out there every second shift at this point. Maybe now via Zach Bogosian of all people the world will realize how good Hedman is. Too bad they won't. The plebs only recognize point totals and don't realize that Hedman's ability to take over a game is on par with the likes of Crosby.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
do yall actually like him? hes so frustrating. he spams shooting the puck for no particular reason and he gets caught out of position in the d zone

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
do yall actually like him? hes so frustrating. he spams shooting the puck for no particular reason and he gets caught out of position in the d zone

Since when is shooting the puck bad? Better than just the lazy throw it into the corner and make the forwards do something. He also hasn't been caught out of position all that much, maybe a play or two a game like every other defender in the league.

On another note Bogosian has made over 43M in his career. He's not that old so he could still be looking for a longer term deal with more money but with his high career earnings he may take a 1M deal to stay here. Playing next to Hedman for another year will boost his value even more and he could still get another deal after that.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Since when is shooting the puck bad? Better than just the lazy throw it into the corner and make the forwards do something. He also hasn't been caught out of position all that much, maybe a play or two a game like every other defender in the league.

On another note Bogosian has made over 43M in his career. He's not that old so he could still be looking for a longer term deal with more money but with his high career earnings he may take a 1M deal to stay here. Playing next to Hedman for another year will boost his value even more and he could still get another deal after that.
id much rather have Rutta next to Heddy

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I would be more irritated with his shots if there were better options for the play but usually there aren't when he does it. And at least he hits the net instead of missing so widely it allows the opponent to rush the other way.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I would be more irritated with his shots if there were better options for the play but usually there aren't when he does it. And at least he hits the net instead of missing so widely it allows the opponent to rush the other way.
shooting it into the goalie's chest ends a possession. cycling it around the boards, with how good our forwards are in the cycle game, continues to hem in the other team and can generate better opportunities.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
hes literally only behind Hedman and Kucherov on the team these playoffs in individual shot attempts/60. why is he shooting that much. why

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
shooting it into the goalie's chest ends a possession. cycling it around the boards, with how good our forwards are in the cycle game, continues to hem in the other team and can generate better opportunities.
A lot of times he does it when nobody is really ready to cycle though. Better to get a faceoff in their end than turn it over.

One of the weaknesses of this team IMO sometimes is we get so obsessed with driving possession we open ourselves up to counters unnecessarily.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

You're dead on. But the CBJ are very aggressive in clogging the passing lanes and hounding the puck carrier. You really don't want to try and pull off more than a handful of passes. They're very cued in on our cycle game and one bad pass is gonna be an odd-man chance the other way. It killed us last year. More simply, you just yell at Bogosian "Don't shoot it into his chest!!"

In a perfect world we utilize our strong cycle game and Bogosian takes a better shot selection that is more inducive to rebound scoring opportunities.

Cprambler5

Jun 21, 2019

I think he shoots the puck high for the forwards to tip. The problem is the timing is off and the forwards aren't getting in front of the net quick enough to tip the puck. Columbus' dzone coverage does a pretty good job boxing out the forwards.

Reactions: VoluntaryDom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad