Player Discussion Zach Bogosian

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
This is not the sort of player a team should assign to its farm club. He wants out of the organization. Let his agent find a landing place somewhere else, but keep him out of the Amerks room and keep him from taking up minutes to future important players like Borgen. Hell, they're so stocked with D and short on non-exempt forwards down there, Fitz isn't even developing at D. So no... he does not go to Rochester.

I don't think he would agree to that because he feels he still has more left to prove. Moulson was a different scenario, he was never going to get another contract.

We know Botts would never do anything to upset the player he's trading...I'm sure we'll end up eating money to get a 3rd rounder in 2021 from a contender, or something like that.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
It's understandable to be enraged by this, but it's probably the best unexpected news Botts has received since Berglund's departure.

Dahlin, Berglund, Bogo. Botts must have a stash of horseshoes somewhere.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Agreed on both accounts. He might be delusional but some people acting like he's selfish or a prima donna.
Do I think he owes the sabres anything? No. Do I think he's being a Prima donna? Lets go to the definition:

a very temperamental person with an inflated view of their own talent or importance.

There's a lot we don't know. The only benefit of the doubt I can give him is if he is in philosophical objection to 9 defense man on the squad and someone needs to go. If he somehow thinks he is not in the same depth pool as scandella or miller, or deserves time over the kids that are getting developed like Joker or Dahlin, then he is not thinking clearly.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
It’s not like they protected him during the expansion draft either

Demanding the trade now seems odd.

Is he really improving his contract hopes in ufa by demanding a trade, taking some shine off his locker room reputation? He certainly isn't going to get a big deal based on his hockey.

It strikes me that he would carry more value this summer, being a good soldier on a team scraping for the playoffs, than he is throwing a tantrum over a scratch coming back from injury.

Reactions: SabresSharks

mechaworm

Nov 5, 2019
It’s not like they protected him during the expansion draft either

Good point. That was Botterill's first big thing as GM. He held onto Beaulieu over Bogo.

After all the smoke around Risto over the summer, I'll still believe it when the move happens. Clearly Botterill isn't about to be swayed by a cranky player. We could be here in February when finally a trade lines up and it's for Colin Miller and all of a sudden Bogo's safely in the rotation again. Or we could wait the whole damn season out after Bogo realizes that his value is lower if he's pouting his way out of the lineup.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
It appears the only person who doesn't know that Zach Bogosian sucks at hockey is Zach Bogosian.

Reactions: HaNotsri

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007

Is he really improving his contract hopes in ufa by demanding a trade, taking some shine off his locker room reputation? He certainly isn't going to get a big deal based on his hockey.

It strikes me that he would carry more value this summer, being a good soldier on a team scraping for the playoffs, than he is throwing a tantrum over a scratch coming back from injury.
I expected him to be traded at the deadline. Teams still in the race are always looking for veteran d-man depth. (Don't laugh. Bogo qualifies.)

You'd think him and his agent would be thinking likewise. Someone please explain the 4d chess we're missing here.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
It's a situation where the rate of improvement of the right side of the defense was faster than Bogo's recovery from hip surgeries. Botterill's roster surgery is like the leaves changing colors. You don't notice it while it's happening. In the past the Sabres would use players like Taylor Fedun, Matt Tennyson, and Casey Nelson while they waited for Zach to get healthy. There was never any doubt he'd be in the lineup when he came back.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
My issue with this matter is that it was made public. I found Bogosian's statement cowardly and inadequate. I don't have any problem with a player requesting a trade, but if it goes public they owe the fans an explanation. Confirm or deny it and if confirmed explain how it became public. There could be an innocent explanation or the player may have sanctioned a leak by a sleazy agent. As far as I'm concerned Bogosian should be fired into the sun.

Last edited:

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm

I love rk taking control and calling bogo and anyone else out that believes they're special and their play can suffer and the team must endure..
Since an emotional and not to bright bogo earned an article by clickbait harrington he isn't going anywhere right away..
If reporters earn their own playing time Harrington should be covering the high schools with his lame attempts to further his worthless career by stirring up easy controversy especially with a guy that probably busted his ars to get healthy and is realizing he may not be good enough to play in this group.
We should all write publically its time for Harrington to go and we'll let a real leader calmly decide what to do to get the best out of Zach as he clearly stated.. Maybe Zach helps the team get a forward.. If he can earn a bottom pair role we could use hus physical precense but I will have to wait and see what Ralph will do..
Gotta love Ralph..sending notice to all.

Last edited:

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Tried to post after practice Krueger interview that is a must see...its at sabres.com ... I'm sold on rk completely..wow ..awesome.

Thanks Zach for forcing. Ralph to define his philosophy specifically for you and anyone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dingo44

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
I'd be fine if we paid out the remaining 40 games of his contract for him to go fishing so long as he was away from the team

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
The way I see it, the organization held up thier end of the bargain. He's made millions and Buffalo carried a big cap hit when he hasn't played much hockey. Now when his contract is almost up, he announces that he wants to be traded. That's kind of a slap in the face to the organization that's been carrying his butt for years.

Now is he that great of a defensemen? No. But I also think if Buffalo happens to make the playoffs, this is a guy you might want on the ice when your playing a team like the Bruins and they start taking liberties on your star players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad