Player Discussion Zach Bogosian

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
So I think I know what the coaches like about Bogo. There's one thing Bogo does more than any other of our d, namely shoving players while being out of position.
Always a step or two behind the player he's supposed to cover he resorts to a semi-aggressive shove that is mostly harmless but gives the impression that he's engaged in the play and a physical dman.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
NHL Trade Big Board: 27 players who could move before the...

23. Zach Bogosian, Buffalo Sabres – Bogosian has requested a trade and that’s not an easy request to manage considering he has a cap hit of more than $5 million. “Good luck,” said one executive. But another source said a potential deal was still possible, depending on how much the Sabres were willing to take back in salary.

Reactions: Chainshot

mechaworm

Nov 5, 2019
He's really not worth thinking about.

Either he gets swapped for another cap dump, in which case we're more or less in the same position, or he walks.

We're waiting a bad contract out either way. That's the fruit of the Kane trade.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
That Saad idea... can they get the Hawks to retain, because his 2nd year isn't appealing unless it is with some level of retention (say $2 million).
I just finished listening to Friedman’s on the instigators from today and he said that Stan Bowman is only willing to trade Saad if he gets a substantial offer.

Good luck with that Stan! :laugh:

Reactions: Chainshot

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

So Bogo's agent is working the phones, Botts is working the phones, and nothing has happened for a month. What are we waiting for, waive him to the minors and be done with him till his contract expires.

I think Bergevin is one of the worst GMs in the league, but even he recognized that Alzner couldn't play in the league anymore and is on year #2 of playing the vet in the minors.

Comedian Joey Elias gets it:
“Unless he gets younger and faster in the minors, there’s no chance of seeing this guy back with the team.”

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Evaluating the limited trade scenarios for Zach Bogosian (paywall)
Worth a bit over $5 million against the cap and with five points – including a goal against Detroit on Sunday – in 16 games, the question isn’t so much “when” Bogosian will be traded as it is “can he be traded at all?” If Botterill didn’t know what the possibilities were before the 29 year-old defenseman asked out, he’s aware of them by now.
The options don’t look great for Botterill to make a deal and for Bogosian to find happiness elsewhere for the rest of the season, with one team executive telling The Athletic’s Craig Custance “Good luck” when asked about the possibility, but let’s lay them out as they are.

Winnepeg - Matthieu Perreault (4.125 million cap hit), signed through 2021. Sabres take another cap hit on a declining player to make Bogo happy?
New Jersey - Travis Zajac ($5.75 million cap hit) signed through 2021. Devils would want more than Bogo. If you liked well-past-his-prime-going-through-the-motions David Legwand, you'll love Zajac
Cory Schneider - (two more years left at $6 million per season). .852 save percentage in six starts this season.

Chicago Blackhawks
- Brent "the worst contract in the NHL" Seabrook

Mutually agreed termination - the Berglund Solution. Bogo gives up his remaining salary and can sign wherever he wants
Bogosian isn’t traded at all and stays until his contract expires

I vote for mutually agreed termination. I'm concerned that we're going to end up trading Bogo for a cap dump with more years of contract. He has negative trade value.

I wouldn't be opposed to sending him home and letting his deal expire if he doesn't agree to termination.

Reactions: Sabreality

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Legwand was actually a decent player in his time here for the role he was given. That role is not worth a 5.75 hit, but I disagree with the slight given.

There's no reason to extend cap problems to get rid of Bogo. We're better off him leaving for nothing.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Worth a bit over $5 million against the cap and with five points – including a goal against Detroit on Sunday – in 16 games, the question isn’t so much “when” Bogosian will be traded as it is “can he be traded at all?” If Botterill didn’t know what the possibilities were before the 29 year-old defenseman asked out, he’s aware of them by now.
The options don’t look great for Botterill to make a deal and for Bogosian to find happiness elsewhere for the rest of the season, with one team executive telling The Athletic’s Craig Custance “Good luck” when asked about the possibility, but let’s lay them out as they are.

Winnepeg - Matthieu Perreault (4.125 million cap hit), signed through 2021. Sabres take another cap hit on a declining player to make Bogo happy?
New Jersey - Travis Zajac ($5.75 million cap hit) signed through 2021. Devils would want more than Bogo. If you liked well-past-his-prime-going-through-the-motions David Legwand, you'll love Zajac
Cory Schneider - (two more years left at $6 million per season). .852 save percentage in six starts this season.

Chicago Blackhawks

Mutually agreed termination - the Berglund Solution. Bogo gives up his remaining salary and can sign wherever he wants

I vote for mutually agreed termination. I'm concerned that we're going to end up trading Bogo for a cap dump with more years of contract. He has negative trade value.

I wouldn't be opposed to sending him home and letting his deal expire if he doesn't agree to termination.

Zajac would be a great add albeit not the 2c we need by any means at all.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Bogosian has single handedly cost us 3-5 games this year. Watching him play hockey makes me want to gouge my eyes out

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011

Chicago Blackhawks

I'd burn effigies of Botterill outside of the arena if he traded an expiring Bogo contract for an equally terrible player on a longer contract.

I don't know what kind of reality distortion field Bogo is employing on the coaching staff, but a professional needs to be brought in to snap them out of it.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Just tell him that because he is so good, he got selected to the Super All Star Team, which plays in Siberia from January 19 through get bent you clown

Reactions: IlikeEich

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I would try to trade him to Detroit and giveaway a 7th to make room for another forward trade.

exactly, either bench him or pull the trigger and lose a pick, but I worry the ROR experience has Botts so nervous that he won’t trade a guy even as he loses value every game played.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Don't give away assets to get rid of a half season of Bogosian. Just send him to the minors and call it a day

Reactions: sabremike

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I haven't disliked a Sabre on the magnitude I dislike Zach Bogosian's on-ice play in a long time. It was Phil Housley in fact who I last felt this strongly about, for his ego and his timerity and his playoff failures. Bogo should not see the ice ever again as a Buffalo Sabre. I don't care who thinks he's a nice guy or what he does for people away from the rink. Do the work and do it well or go the f*** home. He needs to go home.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Imagine his agent..after the Dallas game, Waddell calls him up and says retain 25% on Bogo and I'll send buffalo the 3rd best 7th, I just wanna scout him one more game before the break. As long as everr checks out we can do the deal Sunday and get him here and acclimated during the break.....

Fast forward to today, Waddells number is now disconnected

Carolina would have been perfect cuz Bogo is a jerk and well, there are a bunch of them down there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad