OT: Yzerman's roster construction

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
No, it isn't. The issue is that you have 4-5 truly great goalies and then everyone else and then a few truly terrible goalies and the teams that have those truly great goalies are either paying them double digit millions or they're asking you the sun, moon, stars, and your first-born for them.

I would agree with this if the "tough questions" weren't boiling down to 'why did you sign Justin Holl, you know he sucks, right?' or 'Why isn't Jonatan Berggren on the roster?'
Of course...if questions were worded like that they would be condescending.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Is this because they don't want players to get dealt during the holidays?
More than likely.
"Merry Christmas - we're sending you to Detroit for futures"...
1703449557737.png

• Haha
Reactions: Steve Yzerlland

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I would have traded away everyone before Larkin got extended and tried rebuilding again.

I never thought the roster was 2-3 players away from being a good team. They are 4-5 players away from being a good team. I respect the fact that Yzerman gave the young players the benefit of the doubt and tried getting them help, but the core just isn't good enough. Unfortunately, now we are looking at 2030 rebuild. Assuming Yzerman burns it down this year.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I would have traded away everyone before Larkin got extended and tried rebuilding again.

I never thought the roster was 2-3 players away from being a good team. They are 4-5 players away from being a good team. I respect the fact that Yzerman gave the young players the benefit of the doubt and tried getting them help, but the core just isn't good enough. Unfortunately, now we are looking at 2030 rebuild. Assuming Yzerman burns it down this year.
Agreed We have a bunch of untradeable pieces now.

Reactions: flychairman

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Hopefully when the roster freeze lifts SY shows his cards and announces a trade to improve our goaltending
The goaltending is a feature, not a bug, hence why Husso and his guaranteed 4 goals against per game kept getting trotted out while Lyon was warming the bench with a sub-2 GAA and ended up playing so inconsistently he injured himself on a routine play.

Never went with the hot hand, which is like hockey 101.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
After 35 games last year:

16-12-7 39 pts

After 35 games this year:

16-15-4 36 pts.

No further commentary is needed.
Didn't they have a muffin schedule last season at this point tho? I remember starting to play real good teams and getting slaughtered. While this season we have played a pretty balanced schedule.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Didn't they have a muffin schedule last season at this point tho? I remember starting to play real good teams and getting slaughtered. While this season we have played a pretty balanced schedule.

10 days in 17 days quite far from "balanced" schedule.

This Sweden trip with too many off-days prettu much killed the december schedule.

But as for now, I could think there's some problem with coaching. Defensive play at own end is getting worse and worse. Usually it tightens and will get better as season goes on. Also it's partially goaltending issue, but defence should sync with helping the goaltender, it goes both ways. Either area isn't working.

And think it's not the personnel, good players like Seider won't turn bad, when they develop like he did on 2 earlier seasons towards the end. It has something to do with coaching. They will need a total reset, change at least an assistant and bring in some "lidström" there.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
This is SYs team..heck it's his entire franchise..

If the NHL on ice product is weak.. it's on him to address whether that's via a trade, a call up or a firing..

If the AHL on ice product is weak or players not developing...its on him to address...

He's a big boy...something just isnt right..

Another bottom 9 finish is not acceptable at this point

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
10 days in 17 days quite far from "balanced" schedule.

This Sweden trip with too many off-days prettu much killed the december schedule.

But as for now, I could think there's some problem with coaching. Defensive play at own end is getting worse and worse. Usually it tightens and will get better as season goes on. Also it's partially goaltending issue, but defence should sync with helping the goaltender, it goes both ways. Either area isn't working.

And think it's not the personnel, good players like Seider won't turn bad, when they develop like he did on 2 earlier seasons towards the end. It has something to do with coaching. They will need a total reset, change at least an assistant and bring in some "lidström" there.
the excuses have to stop my man

the team is simply not good enough, and the hot streak we saw early on wasn't the real depiction of what this team is. Now I do agree a bit, that we are not as bad as we've been in December, but we aren't a playoff team, that ship has long sailed.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Worst part about this collapse is I didn't think the team/roster was that bad.

It's literally a 10-11 game in season collapse that's ruined their run. 2-8, or something like that. Beyond bad/ridiculous. They just had to be around .500 and they'd still be up near the top of the standings.

I too point to coaching right now over roster construction. It's not like we're pissed he brought Kane/Compher/Lyon in. We're mad with player usage from Seider,Berggren,Edvinsson to the goalies and in game collapses where Wings have multi-goal leads and give them up.

Ultimately, everything falls on Yzerman, and if he can't get a coach, or pick good, or move on timely to get a good one, then idk maybe Yzerman falls on that sword but idk, I believe he'll get another coaching hire before he's given the axe.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad