OT: Yzerman's roster construction

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
I don't know where this thought fits best, so I guess I'll post it here.

IMO there's a tension right now between short and long term goals that frankly isn't working.

On one hand, it seems clear Yzerman doesn't think the roster is ready for a serious run and is building for 3-4 years from now.

On the other, he wants the team to be competitive right now, at least to some extent.

And right now I feel like he's not getting either. Seider/Raymond seem stagnant at the moment and Ed and Berggren are only up because of injuries. The prospects in GR by and large aren't progressing well this year. So for the future, I'd say so far this year isn't a success.

And short term.. well we've all lived through the last month.

The best case scenario is the team is competitive and the young players are leading.

Instead we're 2-8 and our best player is the 35 year old we're likely to turn around for a draft pick in a few months.

Reactions: Austrianwing

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Worst part about this collapse is I didn't think the team/roster was that bad.

It's literally a 10-11 game in season collapse that's ruined their run. 2-8, or something like that. Beyond bad/ridiculous. They just had to be around .500 and they'd still be up near the top of the standings.

I too point to coaching right now over roster construction. It's not like we're pissed he brought Kane/Compher/Lyon in. We're mad with player usage from Seider,Berggren,Edvinsson to the goalies and in game collapses where Wings have multi-goal leads and give them up.

Ultimately, everything falls on Yzerman, and if he can't get a coach, or pick good, or move on timely to get a good one, then idk maybe Yzerman falls on that sword but idk, I believe he'll get another coaching hire before he's given the axe.
I am really starting to believe Lalonde lost the room after the SJ/Ottawa games. The guy has no guts and doesn't know how to react to in-game events. His press conference after the Ottawa game should have been ripped apart by the local media.

I was excited for a non-Blashill coach but this guy is just Blashill wearing an Uncle Fester costume.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I don't know where this thought fits best, so I guess I'll post it here.

IMO there's a tension right now between short and long term goals that frankly isn't working.

On one hand, it seems clear Yzerman doesn't think the roster is ready for a serious run and is building for 3-4 years from now.

On the other, he wants the team to be competitive right now, at least to some extent.

And right now I feel like he's not getting either. Seider/Raymond seem stagnant at the moment and Ed and Berggren are only up because of injuries. The prospects in GR by and large aren't progressing well this year. So for the future, I'd say so far this year isn't a success.

And short term.. well we've all lived through the last month.

The best case scenario is the team is competitive and the young players are leading.

Instead we're 2-8 and our best player is the 35 year old we're likely to turn around for a draft pick in a few months.
When you zoom in on any rebuild, there are going to be ups and downs, the progress isn’t linear. I’d agree we’re at a low right now, given how much isn’t working/developing. Almost feels like we’ve gone backwards. Maybe we have. It’s been frustrating. But Yzerman is smart, I’m confident he’ll course-correct when/where necessary, even if it doesn’t happen as quickly as many would like.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
When you zoom in on any rebuild, there are going to be ups and downs, the progress isn’t linear. I’d agree we’re at a low right now, given how much isn’t working/developing. Almost feels like we’ve gone backwards. Maybe we have. It’s been frustrating. But Yzerman is smart, I’m confident he’ll course-correct when/where necessary, even if it doesn’t happen as quickly as many would like.

It would be one thing if they were playing this way on the back of young talent. But Yzerman invested 27 million dollars in veteran players in FA, plus ADB and Sprong over the last 2 years. And most of those players aren't lottery ticket players who if they suck its okay but if they're good they can be moved for picks at the TDL. They are at the cap, after giving multiple mediocre players long term contracts and still are not looking good at all.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
SY should continue to rebuild this team, made mistakes, ok, learn from that, fix and move on. Id keep Larkin, Raymond, Veleno, Compher, Rasmussen, Fisher, Sprong, Fabry, Walman, Seider, Ghost,Petry and mabey Chiarot. We could get extra 2 first picks for Kane and Cat , get 3-7 rounders for others. This way we are not wasting our future core pieces

Sooner we start selling, better choices we have at the draft

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
I am really starting to believe Lalonde lost the room after the SJ/Ottawa games. The guy has no guts and doesn't know how to react to in-game events. His press conference after the Ottawa game should have been ripped apart by the local media.

I was excited for a non-Blashill coach but this guy is just Blashill wearing an Uncle Fester costume.
What did he say?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

And for as low as it is right now this wings team has a points percentage over .500 for the first time in 8 years. No one is signed to an egregiously high or long deal. And I think the negatives on our kids in lower leagues have been a bit overblown.

December sucked. We should hope for a better January.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
I would have traded away everyone before Larkin got extended and tried rebuilding again.

I never thought the roster was 2-3 players away from being a good team. They are 4-5 players away from being a good team. I respect the fact that Yzerman gave the young players the benefit of the doubt and tried getting them help, but the core just isn't good enough. Unfortunately, now we are looking at 2030 rebuild. Assuming Yzerman burns it down this year.
They are two players away from being a good team: a defenseman and a goalie

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
What did he say?
Said the refs and the league made all the right calls with the Joseph-Larkin-Perron situation and basically "thanked" Joseph for hugging Fischer for a few minutes. No words of support for Larkin or Perron. Basically rolled over and showed his belly to the league.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It didn't look like he was pushing people out.

Last 3 games:

1703805881332.png

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009

And for as low as it is right now this wings team has a points percentage over .500 for the first time in 8 years. No one is signed to an egregiously high or long deal. And I think the negatives on our kids in lower leagues have been a bit overblown.

You guys with your even keeled takes make me sick. Don't you understand this forum is basically an audition to be a rage baiter on sports talk radio?

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown

Wait a second, I can't believe my eyes. Did I just read that someone covering the Wings wrote something that looks like criticism?

:sarcasm:

We’re not in Canada. Also, this isn’t the golden era of Red Wings hockey. Not many local sports writers in America care enough about the sport. Also, the beat writers may be worried about publicly criticizing the team they’re around regularly.

OneMoreTry

Sep 26, 2021
We’re not in Canada. Also, this isn’t the golden era of Red Wings hockey. Not many local sports writers in America care enough about the sport. Also, the beat writers may be worried about publicly criticizing the team they’re around regularly.

I don't know if you know about sports and media in other parts of the world, but it's not only Canada where sports coverage, especially local team coverage, isn't completely submissive. I'm actually wondering, since I became a Wings fan in 2010, what's going on around this team.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
SY should continue to rebuild this team, made mistakes, ok, learn from that, fix and move on. Id keep Larkin, Raymond, Veleno, Compher, Rasmussen, Fisher, Sprong, Fabry, Walman, Seider, Ghost,Petry and mabey Chiarot. We could get extra 2 first picks for Kane and Cat , get 3-7 rounders for others. This way we are not wasting our future core pieces

Sooner we start selling, better choices we have at the draft
Why would you trade a 26-year-old PPG winger?

I also tend to believe Kane plans to mentor the younger players through the rebuild and retire as a Wing.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018

tumblr_mb3fc3w0dI1qa9jn1o11_r1_250.gifv

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Well, locally, also there's just a lot going on sports wise. Lions are NFC north champions, Michigan is in the college playoff, Pistons have the historic losing streak... Now it's not totally unnoticed but everyone is in football mode, Red Wings are basically getting a pass cause of what's going on around them on top of, imo, everything you mentioned.

I'd suggest they're actually being sheltered and coddled a bit from media around here.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
think the team has looked good this year, were a winning team before kane joined. that completely took team off balance. think they have a good enough group of players to make the playoffs just need some synergy on ice.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Why would you trade a 26-year-old PPG winger?

I also tend to believe Kane plans to mentor the younger players through the rebuild and retire as a Wing.
Does Kane want to be a mantor ? Debrincat is super smart and skilled but also probably the slowes

e

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
If this team could commit to managing the puck and paying attention to details (not being puck focused on back checks and d-zone coverage) along with Husso and Lyon being solid this team could turn things around. My problem is I’ve been waiting 10 games for those things and nothing has changed

Reactions: Austrianwing

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Does Kane want to be a mantor ? Debrincat is super smart and skilled but also probably the slowes

e
I don't think Kane is the type of mentor we want. Sure, he has all the skill in the world, but he's a prick. Hopefully he gets traded for a 1st and does his mentoring somewhere else.
Its funny how everyone knew he was a piece of shit for years, but as soon as he comes here and puts up some points he's suddenly this paragon of integrity who wants to give of himself for the betterment of this organization.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
If this team could commit to managing the puck and paying attention to details (not being puck focused on back checks and d-zone coverage) along with Husso and Lyon being solid this team could turn things around. My problem is I’ve been waiting 10 games for those things and nothing has changed
The puck watching on defense is very, very painful to watch and the cause of 85% of their defensive problems.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Top 11 in most goals allowed past four seasons. He’s delusioral with his approach to fixing the defense. It’s pathetic and almost disgraceful that his thought process said to build it like his. I get it, we didn’t know Simon would be healthy to start the year but hey, don’t take on shitty players like holl and petry. You didn’t have to sign them.

Tbh his drafting has been bottom five. No one in the middle rounds looks promising. Soderblom is cute to think about but probably not practical. The last draft picking all those big slow as piss dmen was horrible asset management.
hes 10x better then holland but it’s time to get the f*** moving… stop signing fringe players. Be aggressive. Go out and scout more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad