OT: Yzerman's roster construction

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Well, him and his wife just lost a baby for I believe the 2nd time, so that could easily and very understandably bring anyone down. He is a human being, not a cyborg!
well that went dark. Obviously that happened and yes that is something to be sad about. my god. it's fine, this isn't a hill i'd like to die on so carry on

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I think the problem is Draper more than Yzerman. Detroit is putting way too much emphasis on “character” over skill and it could mean Detroit has the best 5 middle 6 centers in the league and lose a lot of close games as they barely miss the playoffs every year.
Character is cheap and it typically shows up in goal prevention. We had abysmal center depth under Holland. We now have marginal center depth. We should know what our center situation looks like in 2-3 years as Kasper and Danielson develop. Are they mid gritty/character types? Or does one of them develop the skill to be a scoring line pivot? Perhaps Yzerman acquires a scoring line center and Kasper and Danileon play the Veleno / Rasmussen role.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I get that the defense is still shaky, but a lot of people here aren't seeing the improvement compared to a season or two ago.
Remember when our defense consisted of players like Stecher, Lindstrom, Oesterle, Biega, Cholowski, etc?
Pepperidge Farm remembers

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Character is cheap and it typically shows up in goal prevention. We had abysmal center depth under Holland. We now have marginal center depth. We should know what our center situation looks like in 2-3 years as Kasper and Danielson develop. Are they mid gritty/character types? Or does one of them develop the skill to be a scoring line pivot? Perhaps Yzerman acquires a scoring line center and Kasper and Danileon play the Veleno / Rasmussen role.
This would be the worst scenario ever lol

Reactions: RedHawkDown

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
The biggest problem with the roster construction is we sure don’t look like a ‘re-building’ team.

The 22 man roster generally has 17 vet players 26 or older.
They also have 3 replacement level JAG type players that are between 23-25 (KK, Joey, Ras).

So basically the roster only has 2 good young staple type players in Raymond and Sieder.

Calling Detroit anything other than a veteran team is a mis characterization.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I
The biggest problem with the roster construction is we sure don’t look like a ‘re-building’ team.

The 22 man roster generally has 17 vet players 26 or older.
They also have 3 replacement level JAG type players that are between 23-25 (KK, Joey, Ras).

So basically the roster only has 2 good young staple type players in Raymond and Sieder.

Calling Detroit anything other than a veteran team is an mis characterization.
DeBrincat just turned 26 a few days ago, lol.

That’s a “good young player” in my book.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I think every GM is the game, heck likely any industry, would start to recieve fair criticism after 5 years at the helm..

I truly do believe SY has done a good job but it is also fair for fans/media to start to ask tough questions and expect better results
Obviously the losing streak is tough to deal with but we're like two weeks removed from being in a divisional playoff seed and getting the biggest free agent to sign with us.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Is the drafting of Cossa holding the team back from making a concrete move at goaltender? If you draft a goalie in the first round, you're pretty much admitting that you plan on him being the goalie of the future. I don't know if drafting Cossa was a mistake, but holding back because if it sure is.

it didn't stop them from using an early 2nd on Augustine

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
I

DeBrincat just turned 26 a few days ago, lol.

That’s a “good young player” in my book.
DeBrincat is a veteran playing in his 7th year of professional hockey. Making a boatload of cash.

He is expected to produce and be good and be a winning player right now.

I don’t consider him a developing player. Him and Larkin are young. But they’re already the vets that make this team go.

The organization needs massive development from players to change its fate.
My main point is that Raymond and Seider are the only guys on the roster who could potentially morph into something drastically different than what they are today/currently.

Most of this roster is what it is at this point. Not to say there aren’t some good NHL pieces….But there are not many ‘developing’ pieces.
Which should be a focus on a rebuilding team.

Last edited:

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
The minute Husso and Lyon are healthy, you waive Reimer. Absolutely no reason to carry 3 goalie anymore with this group.

If the league all passed on Raanta, they will pass on Reimer too, and nobody picking him up.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The minute Husso and Lyon are healthy, you waive Reimer. Absolutely no reason to carry 3 goalie anymore with this group.

If the league all passed on Raanta, they will pass on Reimer too, and nobody picking him up.

Why do you waive Reimer, when Husso has easily been the worst this season and has a worse contract. He would clear waivers easily.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
Is the drafting of Cossa holding the team back from making a concrete move at goaltender? If you draft a goalie in the first round, you're pretty much admitting that you plan on him being the goalie of the future. I don't know if drafting Cossa was a mistake, but holding back because if it sure is.
No, it isn't. The issue is that you have 4-5 truly great goalies and then everyone else and then a few truly terrible goalies and the teams that have those truly great goalies are either paying them double digit millions or they're asking you the sun, moon, stars, and your first-born for them.

I think every GM is the game, heck likely any industry, would start to receive fair criticism after 5 years at the helm..

I truly do believe SY has done a good job but it is also fair for fans/media to start to ask tough questions and expect better results

I would agree with this if the "tough questions" weren't boiling down to 'why did you sign Justin Holl, you know he sucks, right?' or 'Why isn't Jonatan Berggren on the roster?'

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad