OT: Yzerman's roster construction

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
My only beef with SY, if I truly have one is...if he weren't DRW fan favourite and historical idol SY he would get more fair criticism or skepticism from the fans and media..
nah I would think it would be that it has taken him 5 years and counting to not put the hockeytown stamp back at center ice.

that is the real travesty that no one wants to talk about but ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM it needs to be said and thrown in his face on these zoom calls until it happens.

The other thing is how Petry is anywhere close to Seider in ice time, UNLESS Seider is playing hurt and they just are being quiet about it. Even in off games or not at his best, Seider is still way better than everyone else going over the boards from the d-crew. Even with that, why is Petry playing so much anyhow, as he is out of position a ton.
I don't like petry just as much as the next guy but the petry and chiarot 5v5 goals against compared to seider's is eye-opening (if i read the stats right)

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don't like petry just as much as the next guy but the petry and chiarot 5v5 goals against compared to seider's is eye-opening (if i read the stats right)
People don't appreciate how much better Chiarot is playing this season, and Seider is a bit off compared to last season. Walman has been flat out bad at times this season. Petry is getting ice time because of Chiarot, it looks like he doesn't want to pair Chiarot and Seider up for any extended time. Probably remembers what happened last season, lol.

Ghost makes me cringe more defensively, and Maatta has been bad in the offensive zone with some really strange passes and shot selection.

In the end, they are all NHLers, there are teams with worse defensemen that are allowing significantly fewer goals. Lalonde needs to work on the defensive system as well as the transition. I think the goalie situation will sort itself out, Husso's injury sounds way worse than Lyon's. If Lyon's out for more than a couple of weeks, Stevie needs to find another goalie instead of throwing away the season.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
People don't appreciate how much better Chiarot is playing this season, and Seider is a bit off compared to last season. Walman has been flat out bad at times this season. Petry is getting ice time because of Chiarot, it looks like he doesn't want to pair Chiarot and Seider up for any extended time. Probably remembers what happened last season, lol.

Ghost makes me cringe more defensively, and Maatta has been bad in the offensive zone with some really strange passes and shot selection.

In the end, they are all NHLers, there are teams with worse defensemen that are allowing significantly fewer goals. Lalonde needs to work on the defensive system as well as the transition. I think the goalie situation will sort itself out, Husso's injury sounds way worse than Lyon's. If Lyon's out for more than a couple of weeks, Stevie needs to find another goalie instead of throwing away the season.
I can't like until january, so "like"

Chiarot has been a revelation this year. Keep him out there. I just wish it wasn't petry that was playing so well cuz now I have to stop saying we should waive him. They are both playing positionally sound and it's annoying lmao.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
nah I would think it would be that it has taken him 5 years and counting to not put the hockeytown stamp back at center ice.

that is the real travesty that no one wants to talk about but ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM it needs to be said and thrown in his face on these zoom calls until it happens.

If you notice, Petry and Chiarot are out there with the better offensive players seemingly a lot more than Seider and Walman. Whenever the 4th line is out, it is Seider and Walman more times than not, where as Petry and Chiarot seem to be out there a lot more with Larkin and company a lot more.

Chiarot has been a revelation this year. Keep him out there. I just wish it wasn't petry that was playing so well cuz now I have to stop saying we should waive him. They are both playing positionally sound and it's annoying lmao.

Why can't you like until January?

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
If you notice, Petry and Chiarot are out there with the better offensive players seemingly a lot more than Seider and Walman. Whenever the 4th line is out, it is Seider and Walman more times than not, where as Petry and Chiarot seem to be out there a lot more with Larkin and company a lot more.
true but if larkin and company are out there then most likely the other teams line 1 or 2 is out there as well, so petry/chiarot are playing better and against higher level competition...

prefer not to answer that one in pursuant to my 5th amendment rights

lgrws91

Jun 14, 2023

That is bad coaching straight up. Not the way to develope seider. He should be out there with the top line 80% of the time

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
That is bad coaching straight up. Not the way to develope seider. He should be out there with the top line 80% of the time
don't disagree, but if chiarot and petry are playing against the hardest competition (presumably) and are considered our best pairing when doing so.....

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Why would you presume that?
Because I didn't confirm the above and took it for face value. So, given the top quote is true, that would mean that petry and chiarot are (presumably) out on the ice against tougher competition as other teams would match larkin with their best, most of the time.

Because he's had a lot of bad games in 2 seasons with Detroit.
i thought the " :sarcasm: " would show proof of sarcasm.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Because I didn't confirm the above and took it for face value. So, given the top quote is true, that would mean that petry and chiarot are (presumably) out on the ice against tougher competition as other teams would match larkin with their best, most of the time.

The further up the chart, the tougher the competition.

Only 1 defenseman in the league has a higher QoC than Seider, Savard in MTL, and he only played 9 games so his stats are a bit goofy.

1703204635538.png

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
I think with goalies, he's basically been acquiring younger goalies with potential and hoping they take the reigns until Cossa can be ready (and not being rushed). First it was Ned and he couldnt take off, now its Husso. I dont know if its the goaltending coaches, or the guys he acquires looks better and then end up being more of a backup.

As for the majority of the other signings, id absolutely love to see Edvinsson up, but Yzerman clearly isnt rushing him either and has shown in the past that he isnt afraid to waive someone making decent money when the time is right (like he did with Ericsson and DeKeyser). In fact most of the contracts the free agents have gotten arent long term deals and basically end when prospects like Danielson/Kasper/Wallinder/etc should be knocking on the door.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I think with goalies, he's basically been acquiring younger goalies with potential and hoping they take the reigns until Cossa can be ready (and not being rushed). First it was Ned and he couldnt take off, now its Husso. I dont know if its the goaltending coaches, or the guys he acquires looks better and then end up being more of a backup.

As for the majority of the other signings, id absolutely love to see Edvinsson up, but Yzerman clearly isnt rushing him either and has shown in the past that he isnt afraid to waive someone making decent money when the time is right (like he did with Ericsson and DeKeyser). In fact most of the contracts the free agents have gotten arent long term deals and basically end when prospects like Danielson/Kasper/Wallinder/etc should be knocking on the door.

Ned and Husso aren't what you would call young. Steve definitely took chances on other teams "castoffs" at low cost of acquisition, which I don't blame him for trying, it just hasn't worked yet.

The whole goalie thing is also a league wide thing, as the entire league has about 5-6 goalies that can be counted on each season, with the rest either average, bad, or all over the map. Not sure what we can do other then just try someone else and hope one sticks, as 26-27 teams have goalie issues depending on the season.

Reactions: LeighDx59

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Has anyone else noticed that the past week or so (since his hit or maybe right before?) all of his press conferences are just a real downer lol. Yeah we lost but he looks like he is doing a woe is me situation and I'm hating it.
Safe to say he’s probably going though some things personally and he is a human being at the end of the day.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Has anyone else noticed that the past week or so (since his hit or maybe right before?) all of his press conferences are just a real downer lol. Yeah we lost but he looks like he is doing a woe is me situation and I'm hating it.

and for the idiotic crowd that thinks I would feel the same way if i was 1-7 or whatever we are at right now, then duh I would be, but I am not the captain who is supposed to be the stable force in emotions that is supposed to also lift guys up instead of being sad with them. Analogy? Dick Winters after being surrounded, blockaded, in the middle of german winter, and german artillary/flares going off every night and still going around and uplifting people because one bad actor in morale ruins the entire morale of the squad.

bam ww2 reference!

Well, him and his wife just lost a baby for I believe the 2nd time, so that could easily and very understandably bring anyone down. He is a human being, not a cyborg!

Baszie

Apr 29, 2021

1703213321568.png

Reactions: Run the Jewels

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
My only beef with SY, if I truly have one is...if he weren't DRW fan favourite and historical idol SY he would get more fair criticism or skepticism from the fans and media..
On the other end of the coin; if he wasn't hyped up as the savior of the team and miracle worker there would be far less pressure to turn the worst team in the league around so quickly without literally any lottery luck, and far less desire from critics to question him.

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
Is the drafting of Cossa holding the team back from making a concrete move at goaltender? If you draft a goalie in the first round, you're pretty much admitting that you plan on him being the goalie of the future. I don't know if drafting Cossa was a mistake, but holding back because if it sure is.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I think the problem is Draper more than Yzerman. Detroit is putting way too much emphasis on “character” over skill and it could mean Detroit has the best 5 middle 6 centers in the league and lose a lot of close games as they barely miss the playoffs every year.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
On the other end of the coin; if he wasn't hyped up as the savior of the team and miracle worker there would be far less pressure to turn the worst team in the league around so quickly without literally any lottery luck, and far less desire from critics to question him.

I think every GM is the game, heck likely any industry, would start to recieve fair criticism after 5 years at the helm..

I truly do believe SY has done a good job but it is also fair for fans/media to start to ask tough questions and expect better results

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
If you remember in the 90's we had great success with Russian players. I'm very surprised Steve, having played with so many great Russian players doesn't draft,sign and trade for more of them?
Also he pays a premium for 2-way players with low offensive numbers I don't get deals like Copp,Compher ( is playing great but I still have questions about the term)
Then signings like Chiarot, Holl ( for 3 years wtf?) I just don't get the logic in some of the moves and non-moves.

For the most part, he is building through the draft. The core to this point: Larkin, Mo, and Ray are all home grown. Most of his trades have been low stakes and many have turned out just fine (Walman, Ned, Fabbri) while others didn't work out (Vrana).

Free agency has been more of the same: low stakes moves with some really working out (Perron, Gostibehere) and others being marginal at best (Petry, Holl, Chiarot). Goaltending is the perfect example of low stakes signings with one currently looking good (Lyon) while the others are trending pretty badly.

This is the epitome of making small moves. You get lucky with some, you lose out with others, while many are more or less what you expect. I think he will continue down this path until we can fill out more of our core with draft picks. We can envision a blue line in a few years that is Mo, Walman, Ed, Wallinder and Sandin Pelikka. That is the core that defines this team, but we are a few years away from that coming to fruition.

With the goaltender position we have no idea what will happen. We have two quality prospects, but there's nothing at this point to suggest Cossa is going to be a good NHL'er. Goalies take time, but we hope that either Cossa gets it together or Augustine makes a move and gets signed to a pro contract after next season.

Forward is where I can see us making a splash in free agency or via a trade. I don't see us developing a legit 100 point center or scoring forward through our farm system. So if we can acquire that guy via trade or free agency that is where you splash the cash. I am not suggesting you absolutely must have that sort of player to win the Cup - which is great because they are rarely available and are very expensive - but that would be the type of player where I can see Yzerman making a blockbuster move. If/when he does that you know we are fully in Cup chase mode.

So long story short, the core roster isn't there yet. Yzerman wants to see how his draft picks develop and once he has a better handle on where there are holes in the roster he will probably address that need via trade or free agency.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad