Your pick for worst team in the league this season?

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
If Bergevin is allowed to continue to make trades then Montreal will be bottom 5 for years. He's been that bad. I'm having a hard time remembering a deal where he hasn't downgraded the talent of the team.

I think he actually made a few good trades in the last few months.

M. Reilly looks like a great value addition to that blueline for a 2019 5th round pick, and I'm quite a fan of the return he got for Pacioretty, especially when we factor what the other "big names" (Hoffman, Skinner, O'Reilly and Karlsson) traded this summer brought back.

Domi for Galchenyuk could go either way, but it was obvious Galchenyuk would not resign and he got a player with more team-controlled years (Domi will be RFA at the end of its current deal, Galchenyuk will be UFA).

I have always been a big fan of Drouin (the guy is pure skill), and I would have made that deal as well at the time of the trade (as would have the vast majority of the HF Boards posters if I recall correctly). I still think it is a bit early to judge the trade (Drouin is still only 23 y old), even if Sergachev had a terrific rookie year.

He got great returns for Eller (2 x 2nd round picks), Weise and Fleichmann.

The big only obvious mistakes were Shaw and Subban trades, and it was clear at the time of the trades as well. There were other bad ones (Ott, Martinsen, Matteau, etc.), but the pieces traded away were not of major value.

The biggest issue with the Habs is their recent past (last 7-8 years or so) inability to draft/develop high-end NHLers. The trades have not been a major factor IMO.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
If Bergevin is allowed to continue to make trades then Montreal will be bottom 5 for years. He's been that bad. I'm having a hard time remembering a deal where he hasn't downgraded the talent of the team.

They are still miles above Ottawa. MTL isn't a playoff team, but they arent last place material with Price in net.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
And that calculated risk looks incredibly dumb rn with them losing two of their 4 best players almost directly after and after they took a good but safe pick like Tkachuk. If they picked one of the super high ypside players it’d be a lot more easy to defend

Not necessarily....They could have the most lottery balls and draw #6. You never know, a bird in hand.....

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Ottawa’s gotta be the worst team in the league by a mile. My dark horse is the Islanders. Their defense is among the worst in the league, they have the Barzal line plus three legitimate fourth lines, and their goaltending should be bad again.

I won’t put the Blackhawks down that low, but they might compete for worst in the West.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Vancouver, easily.
They'll essentially have 70% of their roster as either castoffs, overpaid 4th line vets and rookies.

People forget they were like a 70-74 point team with the ghosts of the Sedins in their lineup. They lost 2/3 of their top scorers from last season :laugh:

It's them or the Sens IMO. Sens finished 30th last season and have lost EK and Hoffman (both probably better players than last years Sedins). Not to mention that Pageau is out for over half the season....

Last edited:

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Sens, Montreal

Vancouver will be competitive if Petterson makes the team

You think so? In my view not a chance. We have zero goaltending, our defense is awful, and we have 3 good players up front and the rest are awful. We have also lost 2 guys that scored 50 plus points last year, and replaced them with Roussel, beagle, and schaller. We are going to be brutal.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I can guarantee the Habs will not be dead last
Much different approach this season and they've finally stopped playing a passive game
I don't think were a playoff team, but we will be a lot more competitive than most think
And finally we are a future to look forward too!!!!

My bet is on Ottawa right now, Duchene will be moved in the next few weeks and I'm sure Stone will probably want out as well

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Ottawa’s gotta be the worst team in the league by a mile. My dark horse is the Islanders. Their defense is among the worst in the league, they have the Barzal line plus three legitimate fourth lines, and their goaltending should be bad again.

I won’t put the Blackhawks down that low, but they might compete for worst in the West.
No chance in hell the Isles finish worst, their top 2 lines alone (And the coaching) are going to make them like the 19th or 20th best team. The sad thing is they could've absolutely been a real contender for a playoff spot with the right moves, instead Lou did almost nothing but make terrible mistakes.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I think Anaheim is gonna be the suckiest sucks that ever sucked.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I think the Habs will surprise some teams. Not nearly as bad as some say or think. The Galchenyuk for Domi trade though is horrible

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
Vancouver easily.
I mean, it has to be right?

With all the other bad teams in the east it's the only possible outcome. They're not even the worst team, but with Detroit, Ottawa, Rangers, montreal etc splitting points with each other Van doesn't have a lot of competition out west, although i'm not as high on the Coyotes as a lot of people.

Feb 24, 2017
I'm picking Vancouver. Without the Sedins they're young blue chip forwards are going to struggle and the others are just garbage. I know a lot of their fans want to tank and get the best chance at Hughes, caution from a Sabres fan, blue chip prospects put into a cycle of losing without much GOOD veteran support get damaged, their development is stunted. All they have to guide the kids is Edler, Tanev and Sutter and both Tanev and Edler most likely don't play full seasons. Their goaltending is crap as well.

Ottawa obviously will give them a run for their money.
Do you think if you tried again you could use there/their/they’re properly? Dig deep in those generational eye sized pigman nostrils.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Ottawa, Detroit, NYR, Vancouver MTL are easily the worst 5. It's tough to pick from them. I'll go with Detroit.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I'm picking Vancouver. Without the Sedins they're young blue chip forwards are going to struggle and the others are just garbage. I know a lot of their fans want to tank and get the best chance at Hughes, caution from a Sabres fan, blue chip prospects put into a cycle of losing without much GOOD veteran support get damaged, their development is stunted. All they have to guide the kids is Edler, Tanev and Sutter and both Tanev and Edler most likely don't play full seasons. Their goaltending is crap as well.

Ottawa obviously will give them a run for their money.

A good choice, to be sure. Vancouver & Montreal will be in the mix for worst overall.

But I'll go with Ottawa.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
I think he actually made a few good trades in the last few months.

M. Reilly looks like a great value addition to that blueline for a 2019 5th round pick, and I'm quite a fan of the return he got for Pacioretty, especially when we factor what the other "big names" (Hoffman, Skinner, O'Reilly and Karlsson) traded this summer brought back.

Domi for Galchenyuk could go either way, but it was obvious Galchenyuk would not resign and he got a player with more team-controlled years (Domi will be RFA at the end of its current deal, Galchenyuk will be UFA).

I have always been a big fan of Drouin (the guy is pure skill), and I would have made that deal as well at the time of the trade (as would have the vast majority of the HF Boards posters if I recall correctly). I still think it is a bit early to judge the trade (Drouin is still only 23 y old), even if Sergachev had a terrific rookie year.

He got great returns for Eller (2 x 2nd round picks), Weise and Fleichmann.

The big only obvious mistakes were Shaw and Subban trades, and it was clear at the time of the trades as well. There were other bad ones (Ott, Martinsen, Matteau, etc.), but the pieces traded away were not of major value.

The biggest issue with the Habs is their recent past (last 7-8 years or so) inability to draft/develop high-end NHLers. The trades have not been a major factor IMO.

I'm not a Canadiens fan so admittedly I do not know every single transaction, but, I thought the Sergachev/Drouin trade was not a good move at the time because I had watched Drouin and while I see talent, I also see that he is missing something from his game that I think would allow him to get to the next level and now I think it is just very bad. Galchenyuk/Domi is also another talent downgrade in my opinion. The higher profile deals all seem to be bad and leave the Habs less talented than they were before. Sometimes those types of deals may be necessary but I do not think that the majority of Bergevin's bad deals were necessary.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Have you seen Vancouver's defense? (And goaltending)

Everybody can answer yes to that-the Canucks' defence is unchanged from that stellar group that dominated play last season.

The goaltending is probably unchanged as well, though there are still three goalies on the roster so it could change.

As for the main question, while there's a decent chance the Canucks will start really badly for the season as a whole I'll go with the Sens. They were bad last year, lost Karlsson and Hoffman and one has to expect morale to be low.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008

Devils fan. The Isles "highest" fourth line may have Josh Bailey, Anders Lee, and Brock Nelson on it. Legitimate grinders all.
Admit it, you are afraid you will slip back and finish behind us.
LOL!

Reactions: SI90

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese