Speculation: Your choice for a new coach

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Babcock is unresponsive to the extension the red wings is offering, according to this article: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/columnist/allen/2014/10/13/mike-babcock-contract-talks/17227059/
Hoping Toronto makes the playoffs, so their coaching dilemma prolongs, hopefully making his probable second choice, Edmonton (Assuming Eakins stays this season regardless of what happens, and gets the toss post season). In Anaheim he took a team that missed the playoffs 4 consecutive years, directly into the playoffs and into the stanley cup final, his first year of tenure. His credentials are second to none, he is the messiah this city needs.

Based on recent comments, Babcock is butting heads with Holland and has become frustrated that he doesn't have more input on the player movement side. He probably would want a Patrick Roy type deal where in addition to being coach he is the VP of Hockey Operations. Put that offer together with whatever money he wants and have Bob Nicholson waiting outside his door the minute he becomes a free agent.

sailorjerry96

Feb 29, 2012
Vancouver, BC
i would rather have Craig Ramsey fill in as interim coach until Babcock's deal is over with the Red Wing's is over. Pry him over here for a 3 year deal and bring up Todd Nelson so Babcock can mentor him.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
An inanimate carbon rod would be an improvement at this point.

o-CARBON-ROD-NUS-facebook-300x285.jpg

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
It doesn't matter who a new coach would be, it simply does not matter. Any sane coach with pedigree would take one look at the clown show above him and would coach in Cherblesky Traktor 2 in the Kamchatka B league instead.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
If we replaced Lowe/MacT with a top qualified name poached from another successful NHL franchise I bet big name coaches would be open to coming here. We have a good talent pool and cleaning house in management will give the appeal that the new guys can come in and have full control over how they do their work.

With LoweT though? Knowing how they are all about stroking their own egos and scapegoating people to keep their jobs safe? We're only going to attract more flavour of the week rookies looking to short cut their way to the big leagues.

The time for Katz to throw money at and poach legitimate people from other organizations was in 2008-2009. Too much has gone on here since then for any credible NHL people to view him as anything other than a joke now. He can still clean the front office out now and try and find up and coming talent out there but he won't be able to get established help in here until he's proven he's serious about turning this team around. That could take years even after he purges this team. This is such a mess.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Based on recent comments, Babcock is butting heads with Holland and has become frustrated that he doesn't have more input on the player movement side. He probably would want a Patrick Roy type deal where in addition to being coach he is the VP of Hockey Operations. Put that offer together with whatever money he wants and have Bob Nicholson waiting outside his door the minute he becomes a free agent.

AND supposedly Babcock isn't interested in a rebuild and wants to be competing for the Cup.

BABCOCK IS NOT COMING TO EDMONTON.

(I capitalized it because people continue to have some fantasy that Babcock would come here.)

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
AND supposedly Babcock isn't interested in a rebuild and wants to be competing for the Cup.

(I capitalized it because people continue to have some fantasy that Babcock would come here.)

You probably should have typed this out 100 times or so just to make your point because a lot of this board bafflingly thinks he is.

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
This organization has become a laughing stock. I can't believe people like Lowe and Eakins get paid big money to run a crappy franchise. I can run a crappy franchise for cheaper and to be perfectly frank I could run it better without a doubt. How do you do worse than 30th, 30th, 30th, 24th, 28th finishes lol. Lets throw in 25th in the gagner year and 20th in the Paajarvi year as well.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
You'd be wise to hire Ulf Samuelsson. Better yet, you guys take Dave Tippett, and Arizona will steal Ulf from the Rangers. You get a top five NHL coach, and we get a cheaper guy with a more open mind. Everybody wins!

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
The time for Katz to throw money at and poach legitimate people from other organizations was in 2008-2009. Too much has gone on here since then for any credible NHL people to view him as anything other than a joke now. He can still clean the front office out now and try and find up and coming talent out there but he won't be able to get established help in here until he's proven he's serious about turning this team around. That could take years even after he purges this team. This is such a mess.

I think a housecleaning would bring back some credibility to the franchise. Anyone Katz is interviewing will want full control over players and personnel moves and Katz had better give it to them. If they get that what more could someone ask for? NHL top management jobs are still highly sought after positions and we definitely have enough assets for a guy to come in and make moves to pretty quickly create any team identity they want, especially if we get another super high pick in 2015.

Jun 9, 2011
Wish we had kept Krueger.
If Eakins goes, Acton and MacT should go. MacT and Eakins have the same philosophy apparently so what good is replacing one with the other?
Just for lol's, what about Torts.:p:
I say keep and promote Ramsey for now, maybe move Rocky to the bench.
The only reason I don't want Nelson moved up is that I am afraid they would put Eakins in OKC and I would prefer to part ways with him. If they have a good plan for OKC then I am fine with Nelson moving up to the Oil.

Anyone else kind of flabbergasted that Eakins hasn't resigned? I mean this must be torture for him. He did have success with the Marlies and is just destroying his own career by hanging on here.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
They all have to go. Lowe and MacT are more the problem than coaching at this point. The entire organization needs a flushing. It's too bad we can't fire the owner because he's an egotistical, meddling joke that perpetuates this stupidity and garbage as well.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Wish we had kept Krueger.
If Eakins goes, Acton and MacT should go. MacT and Eakins have the same philosophy apparently so what good is replacing one with the other?
Just for lol's, what about Torts.:p:
I say keep and promote Ramsey for now, maybe move Rocky to the bench.
The only reason I don't want Nelson moved up is that I am afraid they would put Eakins in OKC and I would prefer to part ways with him. If they have a good plan for OKC then I am fine with Nelson moving up to the Oil.

Anyone else kind of flabbergasted that Eakins hasn't resigned? I mean this must be torture for him. He did have success with the Marlies and is just destroying his own career by hanging on here.
Why the hell would Eakins (or anybody else for that matter) resign when they still have 3 years worth of pay cheques coming? If he gets fired they keep coming, ih he quits they don't.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Who is everyone kidding... Its gonna be Gretzky coach and Messier GM
Unless the two of them can do those jobs from LA and New York it won't be them. They both may see Edmonton as a nice play to visit but neither one of them is interested in living here.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
You'd be wise to hire Ulf Samuelsson. Better yet, you guys take Dave Tippett, and Arizona will steal Ulf from the Rangers. You get a top five NHL coach, and we get a cheaper guy with a more open mind. Everybody wins!

God I'd be so happy with this.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Absolutely should be Nelson. He did a great job coaching our stars during the lockout

Yes.. genius idea. Another coach who hasn't done jack **** in the NHL.

The Oilers need a proven, experienced coach. The players need to be confident playing systems that have actually worked in this league.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

All I said is that the Oilers could make a financially attractive offer that may satisfy some of the things Babcock is looking for in his next deal. Of course, he could refuse and most likely would, but one has to try. That is why the team could investigate multiple options in securing a proven, veteran coach using a variety of financial and other incentives. If such a plan is construed as fantasy then I do not know what one would consider realistic, and I would be welcome to read your plan of action.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad