Speculation: Your choice for a new coach

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Who cares. It will fix nothing.

Team needs a full reset. Players, Management, Coaching.

I don't think we need a full reset just yet.. One bold move to bring in a legit top pairing d-man is what this team is going to need regardless of who is coaching and what the makeup of our top 12 is.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I think we should hire another rookie head coach. What could possibly go wrong?

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
The first guy who coached the successful franchise known as the Ducks...

33dfuw8.jpg

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don't think we need a full reset just yet.. One bold move to bring in a legit top pairing d-man is what this team is going to need regardless of who is coaching and what the makeup of our top 12 is.

You know they'll just be relegated to the PB or AHL.

It's inexcusable to sit Petry and have Marincin in the AHL.

Seriously, blow the whole organization sky high. Fire everyone not named Joey Moss. And I mean everyone.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Wait till next summer and sign Babcock. We've seen the immediate results having a competent coach can make with the Eskimos. And the recruiting possibilities would be so much better. He would do a marvelous job with McDavid as well.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Anyone on this forum could do better then the current head coach. You know its sad when you watch the game and see the guys behind the bench in their suits and think, i could do this!

I could stand around looking confused while a massacre is going down on the ice. I could call a timeout and stand there with no input or communication with my players. I could bench my best players, demote some more and dress the ones that try hard, because dognabbit trying is just so swell in a pro league.

If you show up to practice and give a good effort but don't know how to play hockey, you might be an oiler. You know, somebody should start up a thread or a standup routine with, you might be an Oiler if........

Last edited:

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Wait till next summer and sign Babcock. We've seen the immediate results having a competent coach can make with the Eskimos. And the recruiting possibilities would be so much better. He would do a marvelous job with McDavid as well.

This is my vote as well. Detroit seems to be ready to move on from Babcock. Katz should just hand him his chequebook.

DarkSaturn

Sep 10, 2008
I concur. After the improvement we seen under Krueger I was hoping we would get to see another year of him moving the team in the right direction. If that failed, then fine, let him go and pick a coach from what was an very deep list of quality guys.

Can you imagine if this team had Trotz for a coach? You could bet our team defense would no longer look like a ducks dink. Trotz has a way of getting blood from a stone, did it in Nashville for years and no doubt in my mind he would make the Oilers at least appear to be a competent team.

Biggest issue with the Krueger team was they couldn't win a face-off to save their live, but the special teams were money. Face-off issue at least seems to have been addressed to a degree. Imagine premiere league chairman plays pretty decent, doubt he's coming back.

I've been hoping forever that they bring in someone like Nolan or Keenan as interim and then do a proper search in the off-season, but I don't think team management has the stones to right the ship that way. Honestly, the way the patients have been running the assylum around here, they might not even reach to that type of coaching presence.

There are competent coaches out there... no more rookies, no more AHL wundercoaches, no more boys on the bus...

Oct 15, 2008
Forget about Babcock.

Anyone with choices (and he will have many) will not choose this tire fire of a franchise.

Coaching in Edmonton is career suicide.

Our next coach will be.....

A. Todd Nelson

B. Craig Mactavish

C. Some recycled hash already in the org like Ramsey or Bucky

D. Some rookie from the AHL.

E. Some older coach with no other options in the NHL ie Crawford, Keenan.

Take your pick.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Firing Kreuger wasn't even the mistake, it was firing Renney when they did that was the real stupidity. He was actually doing right by the kids, just that the rest of the team was so useless. Keep him around a couple more years and things would have improved and if they didn't at least you wouldn't have been forced to keep Eakins because you've gone through too many coaches.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I hope that you are being facetious... I really do.

"Great coach?"

Good grief, what has this season come to that people are calling for Mactavish's return behind the bench.

Actually, MacTavish has been the last decent coach on this team. People would say that SCF appearance was all on Pronger and Roloson, but the fact remains. Give the roster of that quality to Eakins and the Oilers would probably finish in the lottery territory.

Playa Hejda

Oct 9, 2013
#yeg
Haven't we been through enough already? Some of you want to bring MacT back as coach?
I've had my Oiler fandom tested many times but MacT going back behind the bench might be the tipping point for me. No just NO.

Don't be mistaken, I don't want MacT within 100 miles of the bench, I don't want him as GM, and I don't want him employed by the Oilers. There just seems to be a certain inevitability to him getting back to into coaching once he's forced to fire Eakins. I mean, it's the Oilers, you don't expect them to conduct an exhaustive search to find the best person available, do you?

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Look at Krueger now. I miss that guy. The players loved him.

RNH was in Vancouver in the summer and helped out someone I know with their hockey school. He mentioned that no one likes Eakins and that the players lost respect for him after the water bottle incident.

Feb 9, 2013
Actually, MacTavish has been the last decent coach on this team. People would say that SCF appearance was all on Pronger and Roloson, but the fact remains. Give the roster of that quality to Eakins and the Oilers would probably finish in the lottery territory.

'Our' SCF appearence was all about Pronger... you can't cite the one season MacTavish found success, and disregard the rest.

With Pronger on the blue line, I would guess that even Eakins finds some level of sucess.

MacTavish returning behind the bench would end my time as a fan of the Oil - it would be the proverbial straw.

oilermeister

Mar 27, 2009
Grande Prairie
Bring Krueger back. Never should have fired him. Coached 48 game shortened season and was respectable coaching a bad team against only the tough western conference teams. A full season and he would have been in great shape as head coach. Renney also should never have been fired.
Easy to see when they are immediately hired by strong, strong organizations!!

Gambl0r83*

Babcock is unresponsive to the extension the red wings is offering, according to this article: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/columnist/allen/2014/10/13/mike-babcock-contract-talks/17227059/
Hoping Toronto makes the playoffs, so their coaching dilemma prolongs, hopefully making his probable second choice, Edmonton (Assuming Eakins stays this season regardless of what happens, and gets the toss post season). In Anaheim he took a team that missed the playoffs 4 consecutive years, directly into the playoffs and into the stanley cup final, his first year of tenure. His credentials are second to none, he is the messiah this city needs.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
I'd fire Eakins and hire Ron Wilson. Those Toronto teams he coached were good teams with awful goaltending, he'd be a great fit.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
If we replaced Lowe/MacT with a top qualified name poached from another successful NHL franchise I bet big name coaches would be open to coming here. We have a good talent pool and cleaning house in management will give the appeal that the new guys can come in and have full control over how they do their work.

With LoweT though? Knowing how they are all about stroking their own egos and scapegoating people to keep their jobs safe? We're only going to attract more flavour of the week rookies looking to short cut their way to the big leagues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad