BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
dNVGENB.gif

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Crawford or Boucher would be coaches I wouldn't mind giving a shot. Todd Nelson I'd be ambivalent about - better than Eakins probably, but yet another rookie...

But please god no Bylsma. Please.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Crawford has a knack for getting the most offense out of his top players.
Many offensive players have career years under him.

I have no idea who I want. Nearly everyone mentioned would be an upgrade.

Not really sure why we let Renney walk. The team was noticeably progressing under his watch. I get the feeling we might be flirting with a playoff spot if he were still here.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Was just coming in to say Boucher.
Best unemployed coach out there right now imo.

Another guy who may want a head coaching gig: Doug Houda of the Bruins. Don't know if he does or not but he was mentioned briefly in the Pens coaching search very early on but he was never interviewed.

I see everyone else i can think of has been mentioned.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I imagine if Eakins does get fired they'll just promote Ramsay to interim head coach for the rest of the season. That would probably be the smart thing to do instead of rushing a hire.

So the Oilers will probably rush the hire with someone they'll regret this time next season.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I imagine if Eakins does get fired they'll just promote Ramsay to interim head coach for the rest of the season. That would probably be the smart thing to do instead of rushing a hire.

So the Oilers will probably rush the hire with someone they'll regret this time next season.

It's Bucky. He's been earmarked for that position since his retirement.
Although Messier is another realistic possibility.

You guys know how this organization runs.

Playa Hejda

Oct 9, 2013
#yeg
Yes, yes he would have. I was super bummed we didn't even attempt to hire him.

Here's the problem, the Oilers didn't attempt to hire anyone. The didn't interview another candidate for GM, assistant GM, President, or Coach. How many assistant coaches did they interview this summer? Anyone know? I don't but I have a guess.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Crawford and Renny were probably pretty close to getting the Pens gig as well. Both we're interviewed.

I agree that they may just interim Ramsay or let Eakins ride it out cuz McJesus and a shot at Babcock.

ETA:
I'm just spitballing here. I do hope you guys can turn it around cuz i like alot of your players.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Is this a thread about who our dream coach would be or is it about who the realistic candidates are? To me there are only four names on the realistic list.

1)Craig Ramsey - probably the front runner considering his experience but he is in his sixties now and would he want to take on the responsibility of being in charge of this team?

2)Todd Nelson - probably the best choice on the list but that means yet another rookie.

3)Craig Mactavish - don't think he wants to coach anymore but probably should be forced to after spending close to the cap on an awful hockey team.

4)Kelly Buchberger - he's still employed by the organization for some reason and I think the original plan for him was going to be to eventually replace Mactavish way back when before things went south. Obviously it's a longshot but nothing would surprise me with this team anymore. If the first three won't take the job he might be the only one left.

I left Messier off the list because he turned down the job when it was a much sexier proposition. Can't see him remotely interested now when it looks like there's going to be some work involved in it.

Nobody else is going anywhere near this team while our current management group is in place. This team is a mess and it isn't going to be fixed until the front office is purged. There is no denying this anymore. If there's a coaching change it's one of these four.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Here's the problem, the Oilers didn't attempt to hire anyone. The didn't interview another candidate for GM, assistant GM, President, or Coach. How many assistant coaches did they interview this summer? Anyone know? I don't but I have a guess.

True enough. Due diligence isn't really a thing here in Oil Country.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Wasn't it Eakins' idea to get another assistant coach and the only person he talked to was Ramsay?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Ramsay and throw money at the most qualified guy that becomes available this summer. And Toronto media hype doesn't count as qualification.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
I seriously miss Ralph Krueger. It was a mistake to dismiss him so quickly. He had good results on special teams as assistant, and did well as a rookie coach in comparison.

If this team nose dives for the next 17 games this becomes realistic if MacT wants to keep his job, I would give Dan Bylsma or Crawford a short contract or give Nelson a chance as a assistant or coach. Acton would need to go with Dallas imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad