You guys taking any applications for new fans..?

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I had to respond here. First of all, WELCOME! The wagon has lots of room.

As a lifelong (now 48 yo) Leaf fan now living in Ottawa since 1989 - your post hit home to me. I have endured quite a bit of Leafs hate living here. Heard all the 67 jokes and Leafs Suck more times than I can count. I just smiled and said the Sens are a good team. I'll cheer them on as long as they're not playing the Leafs. Kill 'em with kindness, you know? Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Sure there are lots of Leaf fans here in Ottawa but you still think twice sometimes about pulling on that jersey and heading out to a sports bar to watch the game. What drunk idiot is going to try to pick a fight or heckle you?

Anyway, enough of that. Good on you for wanting hockey to be enjoyable again. And it will be. You're in for a season to remember.

Best wishes to your Mom. My Mom is a recent Ovarian Cancer survivor. It puts life in perspective. Live life every day like it's your last because it just might be.

Oh and my girlfriend who was a die-hard Sens fan told me today that she's now cheering for the Leafs. She was watching with me the past 3 years and I could see it growing so it wasn't a total surprise but $%$# you Sens I converted ONE!!!

Cheers bro. Good to have you.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I would tell you to ride it out with the Senators, as all teams have valleys and what not.

But yeah I don't blame you, that owner is f***ed.

Welcome!

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
The only real leaf fans are the ones who stayed with them through the Ballard, JFJ, Burke, Nonis, eras.

I don't want the ones who jump on board because their team sucks. I didn't abandon the Leafs and cheer for Ottawa in the late 2000's

Go join the Jets bandwagon

Reactions: Saint Blue

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
I mean I'll never be rooting against the Sens, so I can relate to you. But yeah on Tuesday night after work, I'm going to probably seek out the Leafs game instead of the Sens game.

And this will be the case until Melnyk and his lap dogs are purged from the team entirely.

As a lifelong Leafs fan who has never seen my club in the Finals but learned to love the game first through Sittler, Salming and Palmateer and enjoyed and loathed the ups and downs (often in one season and in instances from one season to the next), I say welcome.

Here's to your future happiness as a Leafs fan and...to a future that, additionally, never roots against your newly adopted club.

Reactions: LeaffaninQuebec

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I had to respond here. First of all, WELCOME! The wagon has lots of room.

As a lifelong (now 48 yo) Leaf fan now living in Ottawa since 1989 - your post hit home to me. I have endured quite a bit of Leafs hate living here. Heard all the 67 jokes and Leafs Suck more times than I can count. I just smiled and said the Sens are a good team. I'll cheer them on as long as they're not playing the Leafs. Kill 'em with kindness, you know? Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Sure there are lots of Leaf fans here in Ottawa but you still think twice sometimes about pulling on that jersey and heading out to a sports bar to watch the game. What drunk idiot is going to try to pick a fight or heckle you?

Anyway, enough of that. Good on you for wanting hockey to be enjoyable again. And it will be. You're in for a season to remember.

Best wishes to your Mom. My Mom is a recent Ovarian Cancer survivor. It puts life in perspective. Live life every day like it's your last because it just might be.

Oh and my girlfriend who was a die-hard Sens fan told me today that she's now cheering for the Leafs. She was watching with me the past 3 years and I could see it growing so it wasn't a total surprise but $%$# you Sens I converted ONE!!!

Cheers bro. Good to have you.

Thanks for the kind words man, really appreciate it. And yeah we can totally relate on the "being in enemy territoy" topic.

It will be a huge adjustment looking all around and seeing friendly faces lol.

One of the things I'm looking most forward to is the total non stop coverage of the team on sportsnet and TSN. Something I used to completely resent will become something I'm grateful for.

Reactions: Marshy

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I see a negative post above, and I honestly get it. I'm a turn cloak.

But the one thing I'll say in my defense right now, is that the hopelessness of the Sens right now is greater than it's ever been for the leafs (not counting the Ballard years, which I cant comment on).

The feeling of being hopelessly broke, and financially incapable of competing in the league is something you guys never had to deal with. Paying your stars their worth is always an option at your disposal.

At this point the Sens are a glorified farm team for the real teams in the league.

I can deal with bad management and flamboyant owners who meddle. But I'm not getting attached to any more players on a team that has no intention or the ability to retain them after they've developed into stars.

The saddest part is that it doesn't have to be that way. The salary cap works as intended for the small market teams, if their not owned by Eugene Melnyk that is.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
I'll welcome you now but if you turn your back on the team..ever, once you're out your out. Till then..welcome

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Welcome aboard. We may have disagreements an debates, BUT at the end of the day we're all fans and we are family!

ce1Co11.gif

Reactions: Samsquanch

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
The only real leaf fans are the ones who stayed with them through the Ballard, JFJ, Burke, Nonis, eras.

I don't want the ones who jump on board because their team sucks. I didn't abandon the Leafs and cheer for Ottawa in the late 2000's

Go join the Jets bandwagon
Now now. God created the Leafs and they are meant to be shared with everyone. Someone should set up a fan recruitment thread on the main board to invite others to abandon their folly of cheering for a different team. When the party starts after the cup I don't want to feel guilty that anyone was left behind

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Not trying to be an asshole, but if it demeans you to become a Leaf fan, maybe it's not for you.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I would tell you to ride it out with the Senators, as all teams have valleys and what not.

But yeah I don't blame you, that owner is ****ed.

Welcome!

I think I got through the garbage years of the Leafs because the first half decade I was still pretty much a fanboy kid. If the franchise went back to it's old braindead shit now I'm not sure I'd have the patience to sit around and watch it. I'd probably need a break too.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Once you turn black, you can nev.....nvm you know what I mean

Welcome homie. Just remember, there are a lot of leaf haters out there. You gotta be ready for battle every day if you on HF

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I started as a blues fan, oilers, and leafs. Thanks to Cujo and stayed with Toronto since 1998. Whatever happens just enjoy watching the games. Can not say ever cared for the Senators but same time never hated. Been Boston for me for awhile now on my number 1 dislike list. Enjoy watching the games as leafs are very exciting team.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Don't know why some posters are being so unwelcoming. Sports are supposed to be fun. It isn't up to someone else to decide which team another person should cheer for. Stop with the righteous holier than thou posts. If the leafs can help ease someone's pain in real life who the f*** are you to say that this person shouldn't be a leaf fan? I'm glad most of my fellow leaf fans are welcoming though!

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Don't know why some posters are being so unwelcoming. Sports are supposed to be fun. It isn't up to someone else to decide which team another person should cheer for. Stop with the righteous holier than thou posts. If the leafs can help ease someone's pain in real life who the **** are you to say that this person shouldn't be a leaf fan? I'm glad most of my fellow leaf fans are welcoming though!

I'm in agreement.

Don't forget what our team looked like a few years ago.

The OP is the first Ottawa fan to join their rightful team. I doubt he will be the last.

Melnyk Ottawa looks almost Ballard Leafs bad. I'm legitimately starting to think that Bettman is going to step in and have him removed.

I don't think it behooves us to act like jackasses towards these people.

Reactions: BleedsBlueSNRefugee

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I'm in agreement.

Don't forget what our team looked like a few years ago.

The OP is the first Ottawa fan to join their rightful team. I doubt he will be the last.

Melnyk Ottawa looks almost Ballard Leafs bad. I'm legitimately starting to think that Bettman is going to step in and have him removed.

I don't think it behooves us to act like jackasses towards these people.

Especially when he says he's having tough issues right now and just needs some happy.
this isn't about what you'd do if the Leafs were poo.
this is about us accepting someone who just needs a happy and part of that happy is watching a good team and good management and ownership. that's the least we can do.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
I know the cancer story all too well myself, my friend. Your situation is very similar to mine right now. My heart goes out to you.

At the end of the day, this is just hockey. It’s a nice escape. Its a game. There are no rules to fandom, it really shouldn’t be taken that seriously.

Just do whatever it takes to stay strong for your mom. You didn’t even have to ask. PM me if you feel like you ever need any support!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad