You Are The GM Fill in the ? _____ needs

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
There really isn’t any difference between Homer or Lombardi being the President of this team. They’re both outdated in philosophy based on the last time they had GM positions. Both of them quickly nosedived the teams they were in charge of.

Homer wasn’t a good GM but as a president I don’t think he’s like Snider was when it comes to meddling. Ultimately though he’s got people to answer to & when the bottom line starts to get impacted you see moves like the Hextall firing.

They’re not firing Homer & they’re not hiring Hextall & Pryor again.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
There really isn’t any difference between Homer or Lombardi being the President of this team. They’re both outdated in philosophy based on the last time they had GM positions. Both of them quickly nosedived the teams they were in charge of.

Homer wasn’t a good GM but as a president I don’t think he’s like Snider was when it comes to meddling. Ultimately though he’s got people to answer to & when the bottom line starts to get impacted you see moves like the Hextall firing.

They’re not firing Homer & they’re not hiring Hextall & Pryor again.
The only reason I would bring back Hex and Pryor is because of their amateur evaluations and drafting prowess that’s all the Flyers have left these days.

I don’t trust Fletcher alone when it comes to drafting and he doesn’t have a good drafting history but I’m willing to give him a chance this offseason.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
What will be your first move the moment the offseason starts after cup final.

I'm not sure who will be free agents this year who we can get, how much money will have.

What trades should we make?

Gostisbehere needs a fresh start, and I wouldn't be opposed to moving Voracek.

Start there.

Reactions: renberg

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
How about we start with getting rid of the bad players on the team instead of trading some of the best players..

They did.... They got rid of Horseface, Weal and Lehterible.

But yeah they need to move Raffl-Laughton-Hartman to line 4 not line 3.

Reactions: ajw12

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Gostisbehere needs a fresh start, and I wouldn't be opposed to moving Voracek.

Start there.
This is a bad taek, because it is not thought out. Ghost needing a fresh start is folly, because the objective of this conversation is how to improve the Flyers, not the well being of a soon-to-be-departed player. If trading Ghost makes the Flyers better, then so be it. However, no one has been able to offer a reasonable idea of how removing Ghost from the team makes the Flyers better/more competitive moving forward.

The same critique of trading Ghost for ??? applies to Voracek.

If, and this is hyperbole, the Flyers were able to trade Ghost for Seth Jones, and Voracek for Mitch Marner- both straight up, then yes, both players should be traded tomorrow/asap. However, neither of those are realistic because the other teams would never agree to that. Ergo, this response is more noise than substance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To the actual post-

Players-
Obvious moves are kicking the tires of Karlsson and Panarin. I think it's an uphill battle for either, but I'd make sure the Flyers name made it to the press about being interested with credible leaks to the Canadian media (because our beats are garbage.)

Short of getting one of those guys, I next go to Dallas and attempt to pry away either Seguin or Benn in a quantity for quality trade. I'm unsure who I'd give up, a non-advanced-lotto pick is on the table, maybe Farabee, not Frost. (Ideally, it's Ratcliffe, Hoggberg, Sandstrom, maybe Lindblom, and a 2020 2nd/1st, whatever's the minimum it takes. I'd be willing to take back a cap dump for 2 or fewer years.)

Rinse, wash, repeat for guys that are clear second line players at a minimum, i.e. Jason Zucker. Akin to the Vegas model, a lot of 2nd lines can be a winning formula. Something @Captain Dave Poulin alluded to with the '87 team.

In house, bury AMac in the AHL. Tell his agent they can ask around for a trade, that the Flyers would be willing to eat half the contract, but he is not playing on the Flyers in 2019-20.

To whomever is the coach, at the beginning of the season, Hagg is the #7, Morin is the #6. After the 30 game mark, you can figure it out with rotations or whatever is necessary.

Philadelphia Flyers - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
(Gudas, Myers, Lindblom and Patrick are due contracts the following season)
Scott Laughton (RFA) - 3 yrs, $6.1 m
Travis Konecny (RFA) - 6 yrs, $25.5 m ($4.5/per)
Ryan Hartman (RFA) - 2 yrs, $3.75 m
Justin Bailey (RFA) - 2 yrs, $2 m (Phantoms special)
Corbin Knight (UFA) - 1 yr, $1 m (Phantoms special)
Philip Varone (UFA) - 3 yrs, $4.5 m (Phantoms special)
Ivan Provorov (RFA) - 6 yrs, $32 m ($5.3/per)
Travis Sanheim (RFA) - 7 yrs, $36.75 m ($5.25/per)

When it comes to resigning the Flyers' players, I'm at a loss for goalie. I think I throw a contract at the Rangers' Alexandar Georgiev just to be a dick. I have no answer for goalie, would like to see the actual market. I'm not in love with Talbot, his friendship with Hart be damned. Elliott I'd actually bring back on a bargain basement contract, so he doesn't have to move his family kinda reasoning.
I never got around to posting this elsewhere when people were bitching about needing a back-up in case Hart bombs, because of expected workload.
Here are his season WHL totals, playoffs included: 2015-16- 69 gp; 2016-17- 64 gp; 2017-18 63 gp (had mono this year, or would've been more games)
That's right around the number he'd be playing at most as the starter on an NHL squad. A capable backup, and shave about 10 games off those totals for reasonable usage. Vasilevskiy- 51 gp; Dubnyk - 66 gp; Price - 64 gp; Holtby - 58 gp. Just to say, he's right around the norm of having an experience of games played during a junior season, as can be expected from him in an NHL regular season. If he falls apart as the starter, the Flyers are f***ed regardless of their back-up (FELIX SANDSTROM TO THE RESCUE- GOALIE CONTROVERSY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1).

Prospects-
Sign those prospects that are willing, filter into the AHL and ECHL. I make it a goal to be the youngest AHL & NHL combo in the leauge. Sink or swim time. There's an obvious need for veterans, especially at the AHL level. Hextall was correct about starting a winning culture down in Lehigh, but the development for the Flyers always comes first and foremost.

I'd be more assertive toward some of the Sweedish folks (anti-Flahr), the D prospects specifically. I put NAK on the Flyers, he, Hartman, and Raffl are playing for forward spots 11 & 12. I bring up Frost as the #3, and pray. I'm inclined not to get a safety net, because if needed that's Giroux. Psychologically, people react differently when another player is looming (player), or the option for something else is present (coach). I want it to work, through good times and bad. If it is a complete cluster, Giroux moves back to center with a hopefully advantageous workload.

Coaches-
Obligatory, fire everyone (maybe keep Wilson). Aim for Q. If not, target Keefe. McClellan is a fall-back of sorts. I liked Marc Crawford for unexplainable reasons, but he was hired by the Sens. I'm not afraid of the non-conventional. Conventional hires would be Hitchcock, Tippett, Ruff, Hartley, etc. Those guys aren't interesting.
I'd not go so far as a John Madden (coached football and has been retired for so long), or Todd Nelson. My unconventional pick would be Rikard Gronborg. A Swedish trained coach who has been behind the bench for Sweden at the Olympics, IIHF Worlds, WJC, u-18 Worlds.
Since Lavi, he'd be the first guy that appears to have a conscious thought about systems, utilizing talent, and being progressive to attack the current landscape instead of reacting. If nothing else, I want a coach who will attempt to exert their/Flyers' will on a game instead of counterpunching. The past several seasons has been extraordinarily boring as an entertainment product.

Hire the head coach. Maybe Wilson sticks around, maybe he doesn't, whatever, that's tossing a bone to Fletcher. When the NHL staff is completed, have the headcoach part of the search committee to find the new Phantoms coach and ensure the two can work togetehr with a shared philosophy that the AHL will implement the same system as the NHL club, results be damned, the players will know what to do, even if they can't always accomplish it in the AHL (obvious tweaks are obvious.)

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
The needs are simple: #1 D; #2 C; more speed.
I agree with the need for a veteran RHD. I'm ok with Coots, Patrick and Frost as the top three centers. Frost adds speed and fills a need.
The RHD is the greatest need. We'll have to see what the market will be as the summer rolls around. The POs often expose needs for teams that they thought that they didn't have that the Flyers might be able to take advantage of.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
I agree with the need for a veteran RHD. I'm ok with Coots, Patrick and Frost as the top three centers. Frost adds speed and fills a need.
The RHD is the greatest need. We'll have to see what the market will be as the summer rolls around. The POs often expose needs for teams that they thought that they didn't have that the Flyers might be able to take advantage of.
They need to find a sniper. This team needs a pure threat to score a goal any time it hits their stick.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
We do have a bad news/good news situation.

Bad news: ticket prices are going up for next year
Good news: ticket prices are going up for next year - with Homer still pulling the strings even he knows that you can't charge more and have this boring brand. Makes me slightly relieved as I believe a new coach is imminent....hopefully a really good one, not an AHL/NHL in-betweener like the ones we've had the past decade (with the exception of Lavy)

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Patrick: 30 point scorer; 1 goal in his last 20 games. Frost: Who knows. He could easily be just an inconsistent, 30 point 20 year old like Patrick. Look around at the center position of the top teams in the East. Patrick & Frost aren’t going to cut it next season as your middle 6 centers unless you’re willing to throw another season away. The East is far too strong, & it’s going to take big improvement down the middle to have any chance of playing with the top teams.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Patrick: 30 point scorer; 1 goal in his last 20 games. Frost: Who knows. He could easily be just an inconsistent, 30 point 20 year old like Patrick. Look around at the center position of the top teams in the East. Patrick & Frost aren’t going to cut it next season as your middle 6 centers unless you’re willing to throw another season away. The East is far too strong, & it’s going to take big improvement down the middle to have any chance of playing with the top teams.
The Flyers are fine at center. Couturier has established himself as a true number 1 center at this point. Giroux could easily end up back at center depending on who the next coach is. Patrick and Frost need opportunities to play in key roles and get better. Between those four there is a very good 1-2-3 punch to be put together with Laughton centering the fourth line.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
The Flyers are fine at center. Couturier has established himself as a true number 1 center at this point. Giroux could easily end up back at center depending on who the next coach is. Patrick and Frost need opportunities to play in key roles and get better. Between those four there is a very good 1-2-3 punch to be put together with Laughton centering the fourth line.
That’s fine if you’re ok with not being a true contender in the East next season.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
HF really should of built that wall before the HB invasion got out of hand. :wg:
There needs to be some kind of vetting process. Most of them are good, but there's a few bad apples in the bunch.

What we REALLY need to avoid is any kind of migration from Reddit... that place is a f***ing hell hole of stupidity.

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Couturier
Giroux
Patrick
Laughton
I'd only use that as a backup if Frost looks bad, which there's no reason to expect he will. Otherwise, merely putting together Giroux-Couturier-TK is enough of a dominant line to tolerate any youthful ups and downs from the middle 6.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
You're mistaken. Coots has never had a 40 goal season. He is an elite #3c, possible low-end #2c. These are facts. Everything else you've written is incorrect by transitive property default mode.

2019-20 Center depth
Frost/Giroux
Patrick/Coots
Coots/Patrick
Laughton/Raffl

Edit: #ObviousHeelTurn

Last edited:

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Couturier
Giroux
Patrick
Laughton
You’re really reducing G’s effectiveness playing him at C instead of Coot’s wing.

If you’re playing G at 2C, then you’re still going to need to add a very good LW in the offseason, & unless you can get Panarin, which is very unlikely, you might as well go C so G can play W.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
We can definitely compete next year without adding a C or a top 4 defenseman.
For sure.

If Hart plays the way we know he can and we get a coach who isn't an idiot, they can do real damage. They team has a ton of talent, lots of youth, great vets...

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
You're mistaken. Coots has never had a 40 goal season. He is an elite #3c, possible low-end #2c. These are facts. Everything else you've written is incorrect by transitive property default mode.
You are being sarcastic, right? Two 30+ goal/70+ point seasons with Selke level play indicates otherwise if you aren't.

Reactions: Ruck Over

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad