You Are The GM Fill in the ? _____ needs

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
If we don't have room for all our rookie defensemen now, why would we trade for a veteran?
Provorov and Gudas are top 4, Ghost is top 4 offensively.
Morin, Sanheim and Myers have top 4 potential.
So why give up assets for another defenseman?

Assuming there are no restrictions on flipping said player to another team after the ED, it could be a way to add assets. For example, send Cousins for {dman} prior to the ED - a hockey trade. Protect {dman} then flip him for his true value, which would be the very definition of buying low and selling high. Assuming it would fly, it could be a way to turn a "meh" asset (e.g., Cousins) and an unused protection slot into some decent picks in 2018.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
so it sounds like goalie and scoring our top needs to go along with the young D coming up.

Bishop could be a short term

the right sniper could get G going again.

not sure about raffl was hoping he would have the exploding year but he is always hurt.

on a side note everyone has been hoping for the end of amac on this team. if your hextall would you consider the team that takes him that you pay some of the salary and if so how much would you do it for. what would you be comfortable with

Anything less is better then paying full now.

Amacs hit for a buyout is $1.6M for 6 years, assuming they drop him this summer. I would take on $2.5M for 3 years EASILY to move him out, assuming no other asset goes with. Our cap situation can take it and after the season ends we aren't carrying any retained salary (just Streit now) and Umberger's buyout ends after next season, meaning the effective retention (increased dead cap space) is $2.5M, $1M, $1M.

DecadesofFutility

May 22, 2013
Wilmington, Delaware
I agree with Appleyard, this roster is flawed. It needs some upgrading in order to feild a team capable of consistant trips to playoffs.

Forwards:
A real sniper(s) for LW and RW.
Not sold on Schenn as long term option need better player.
Need another LW for Couturier line if its a scoring line.

I would be interested in both Duchene and Landeskog from Colorado
if prices were reasonable. Upgrades 2C and LW positions from what we have now.

Defense:
Need 2nd pairing D man to pair with Ghost.
A stopgap Dman for year til Hagg / Morin ready for top 4 duties.
Streit backup option if signed to 1 year 2.5 million.
Hagg/Morin and Sanheim can fill out last pairing.

Goalie:
Would try to get Bishop / Bernier / Greiss as starter.
More consistancy in net would help the team overall.

Would try to start building cap room to make trade deadline acquistions.
1) Get rid of MacDonald's contract if possible.
2) Try to move Weise, Read.
3) Trade Cousins and/or Laughton for young LW/RW prospects/rookies.
4) Trade Filppula if I can get Duchene as 2C.

Replace underacheiving assistant coaches for next season.

I would prefer to move Schenn, Cousins, Laughton and replace them with Duchene, Landeskog to upgrade this roster.
Not expecting any big trades to change the roster, even though I favor a shakeup of the forwards and new talent.

2017-2018 Expected Lineup

Weal - Giroux - Simmonds
Konecny - Filppula - Vorachek
Lindblom - Couturier - Schenn
Bellemare - Vecchione - Raffl
Lyubimov, Weise

Provorov --- Gudas
Streit - Gostisbehere
Hagg --- Sanheim
Manning

Bernier / Neuvirth

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Goaltenders!

I thought that Hextall would make that position his top priority when he was appointed as the new GM.
The two goalies currently employed by the Flyers are both back up goalies, at best.
Without an outstanding goalie, the Flyers will continue to be sub-par when competing for the playoffs.

Other than repairing the on-going problems about that position, I think Hextall should fire the assistant coaches, and allow Hak to hire his own, hand-picked (rather than inherited) assistants.

Another friend of mine also pointed out the fact that the Flyers do not have a single "superstar" player on it's current roster. Most of the top teams in the NHL have one or more elite players. The Flyers do not have one. No, Giroux is not an elite player. I know most of the folks here will posts his stats, and shout me down, but he does not cause opposing teams to gear their defence to stop him. He is a good player, and he has been a fan favourite during his career in the Flyers uniform, but he is not on par with Crosby etc.
The last superstar wearing the Flyers uniform was Chris Pronger, and before Pronger, it was Lindros.
The "blue-collar" approach of simple "hard-working" muckers & grinders will continue the tradition for the organisation, but will never elevate it to become Stanley Cup Champion's in the modern world of the NHL.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I thought that Hextall would make that position his top priority when he was appointed as the new GM.
The two goalies currently employed by the Flyers are both back up goalies, at best.
Without an outstanding goalie, the Flyers will continue to be sub-par when competing for the playoffs.

Other than repairing the on-going problems about that position, I think Hextall should fire the assistant coaches, and allow Hak to hire his own, hand-picked (rather than inherited) assistants.

Another friend of mine also pointed out the fact that the Flyers do not have a single "superstar" player on it's current roster. Most of the top teams in the NHL have one or more elite players. The Flyers do not have one. No, Giroux is not an elite player. I know most of the folks here will posts his stats, and shout me down, but he does not cause opposing teams to gear their defence to stop him. He is a good player, and he has been a fan favourite during his career in the Flyers uniform, but he is not on par with Crosby etc.
The last superstar wearing the Flyers uniform was Chris Pronger, and before Pronger, it was Lindros.
The "blue-collar" approach of simple "hard-working" muckers & grinders will continue the tradition for the organisation, but will never elevate it to become Stanley Cup Champion's in the modern world of the NHL.

There is so much ******** in this post, it's hard to know where to even begin.

1. Hextall has drafted Hart, Sandstrom, Tomek and signed Lyon all in the past 2 years.
  2. Mason has a .918 save percentage in 229 starts as a Flyer
  3. Giroux is an elite player on a bad team with no depth, questionable coaching, and hampered by multiple injuries
  4. Giroux has been an MVP finalist twice since Pronger last played a game here. If that isn't playing at an Elite level, what is?

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I am not sure Giroux is going to be that MVP level type player again, but I do think he is still going to be a very good player for years to come. I still think it would be great for him to get a pure goal scorer on his wing. Jake really isnt that and i dont really consider Simmonds a sniper.
Of course we have been asking for a pure goal scorer for this team ever since Carter was traded. Havent found that yet IMO

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
There is so much ******** in this post, it's hard to know where to even begin.

1. Hextall has drafted Hart, Sandstrom, Tomek and signed Lyon all in the past 2 years.
  2. Mason has a .918 save percentage in 229 starts as a Flyer
  3. Giroux is an elite player on a bad team with no depth, questionable coaching, and hampered by multiple injuries
  4. Giroux has been an MVP finalist twice since Pronger last played a game here. If that isn't playing at an Elite level, what is?

I think Mason is a good enough goalie for a Cup contender but i don't think he re-signs here unless there are no other realistic suitors. We are weak at center and Giroux despite all of the above is our best center. Whats a little odd though.... of the top 50 points scorers in the league Giroux has the dead last shooting percentage and the only player in the top 50 where over half his points have come on the PP. The only real question imo about G is can he get his body healthy and stay healthy. I don't know if you guys have ever met him in street clothes but he is a little guy.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Mason has started 153 games with a .917 SV% in the past three seasons. That's not something back up goalies do.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I am not sure Giroux is going to be that MVP level type player again, but I do think he is still going to be a very good player for years to come. I still think it would be great for him to get a pure goal scorer on his wing. Jake really isnt that and i dont really consider Simmonds a sniper.
Of course we have been asking for a pure goal scorer for this team ever since Carter was traded. Havent found that yet IMO

Yeah neither do I, but to suggest the Flyers haven't had an elite player since Pronger is absurd.

Giroux scored more points than any player in the NHL over not 1, but 2 separate 5 year stretches.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
with what we saw from sam yesterday, will it make it easier for hextall to move amac, either via trade eating 50% or buy him out

Nothing will make moving A-Mac easy. He's not here because Hextall just can't bear to part with him. He's here because nobody else wants a bottom pairing, mistake-prone defensemen that isn't good in the ozone or the dzone.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
Ok guys, based off what you seen based on free agency, the draft.

What you do rest of free agency

How do you see our lines being, how would you piece the lines.

How do you see your board looking both with Flyers, or phantoms.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Do we have the best roster? Nope. We have a damn good one though, I believe. We are in a rare position where we don't need to do anything else in Free Agency because they roster spots are full comparatively speaking to what's available, skill-wise.

There will be competition in the bottom 6 as well as a spot or two in the D-corp. We have a good goalie tandem.

If health, goaltending, and coaching go well enough, I'm quite confident this is a playoff team.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Do we have the best roster? Nope. We have a damn good one though, I believe. We are in a rare position where we don't need to do anything else in Free Agency because they roster spots are full comparatively speaking to what's available, skill-wise.

There will be competition in the bottom 6 as well as a spot or two in the D-corp. We have a good goalie tandem.

If health, goaltending, and coaching go well enough, I'm quite confident this is a playoff team.

What do you think the odds are that all three of those go well? Even if those were true I think you need exceptional performance by the rookies to make the playoffs. The tough hurdle that I see is two key goal scorers and 2 starting D at a minimum are rookies. The first 20 or so games on the schedule are pretty tough. If we get off to a slow start, we could be effectively out of it by Thanksgiving. By halfway through the year I could see the team gelling and pretty competitive. Hard to make up ground in such a tough division though.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
I can't remember the last time the flyers had so many rookies/ non established players introduced onto the team. On d you will have at least 2, probably sanheim and Morin. On offense, there will be 4: Patrick, lindblom and non-technical rookies like Laughton and Weal.

I think the rangers and Columbus will be better than the flyers this year. The flyers could make the playoffs but alot will depend on the performance of rookies and non established players.

Still it is exciting to see the team begin to incorporate young talent and that should continue next year with Myers, nak and others.

I hope the flyers will make the playoffs but i look forward to seeing the team begin to be on the upswing.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
I can't remember the last time the flyers had so many rookies/ non established players introduced onto the team. On d you will have at least 2, probably sanheim and Morin. On offense, there will be 4: Patrick, lindblom and non-technical rookies like Laughton and Weal.

I think the rangers and Columbus will be better than the flyers this year. The flyers could make the playoffs but alot will depend on the performance of rookies and non established players.

Still it is exciting to see the team begin to incorporate young talent and that should continue next year with Myers, nak and others.

I hope the flyers will make the playoffs but i look forward to seeing the team begin to be on the upswing.

it all comes down, to how the inexpeirenced learns.

Flyers are reminding me of what the oilers went through a few yrs ago

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Flyers really aren't inexperienced.

The only draft player to make the team will be Patrick, and he's an overage, physically mature junior.
Lindblom has two years experience starting in the SHL.
Hagg (3), Morin (2), Sanheim (1), all have AHL experience.
Laughton has a year in the NHL under his belt as well as 1+ AHL seasons.

So it's not like we're going into this season with a half dozen 18-19 year old rookies. Of the six potential additions, five will be 21 or older.
Provocop, 2nd year going on his 10th season
Ghost, 3rd season
Konency, 2nd season

The rest of the roster is composed of seasoned veterans.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
it all comes down, to how the inexpeirenced learns.

Flyers are reminding me of what the oilers went through a few yrs ago

How are they in any way like the Oilers? They were complete garbage year after year then got lucky and won the McDavid lottery.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Flyers really aren't inexperienced.

The only draft player to make the team will be Patrick, and he's an overage, physically mature junior.
Lindblom has two years experience starting in the SHL.
Hagg (3), Morin (2), Sanheim (1), all have AHL experience.
Laughton has a year in the NHL under his belt as well as 1+ AHL seasons.

So it's not like we're going into this season with a half dozen 18-19 year old rookies. Of the six potential additions, five will be 21 or older.
Provocop, 2nd year going on his 10th season
Ghost, 3rd season
Konency, 2nd season

The rest of the roster is composed of seasoned veterans.

The reality is we have a 20 yr old dmen that's going to be asked to play 22+ minutes. We have Macdonald that is horrible defensively.... We have Gudas who is decent defensively but error prone and Ghost who was a disaster defensively but has been improving + 2 rookies who are likely to make a ton of mistakes + 2 inconsistent goalies. How this team plays defensively will tell the tale. It could be a disaster and we could easily finish bottom 5 in the league or we can somehow surprise and we could have a huge turn around season. Its going to be interesting and will really show how Hexy and Hakstol have been progressing

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
How are they in any way like the Oilers? They were complete garbage year after year then got lucky and won the McDavid lottery.

The oilers were awful for a long time as they aquired young talent when tambolini was in charge. new mgmt runs it, yes they got lucky with macdavid and they are much improved.

Flyers are a bit the same, we to got lucky in the draft with patrick and were hoping our young talent thrives.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
What do you think the odds are that all three of those go well? Even if those were true I think you need exceptional performance by the rookies to make the playoffs. The tough hurdle that I see is two key goal scorers and 2 starting D at a minimum are rookies. The first 20 or so games on the schedule are pretty tough. If we get off to a slow start, we could be effectively out of it by Thanksgiving. By halfway through the year I could see the team gelling and pretty competitive. Hard to make up ground in such a tough division though.

No clue! I'm hoping we get at least 2 of the 3 in our favor. The rookies provide a pretty great unknown factor out of the gate, there's no book on them. That may benefit us for the first 5-10 games. I think Patrick and Lindblom will be strong additions, each potting at least 30-40 points this year. I think we finally have a formidable scoring 4th line that could catch teams off guard. And I really think Giroux and Ghost's injuries hindered them a lot last year, and they could be back to a 50-60pt (Ghost) and 80+pt (Giroux) performance. The growth of Konecny and Provorov shouldn't be understated either.

The unknown dynamic IMO is Voracek. If he can get back up to 75-80 points, that'd be a difference maker...obviously.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I am happy with the moves Hextall has done. I see us looking 3 years down the road. We will have to have a goaltending solution at that point.

I think we will be 8-12 in the standings, fighting for a playoff spot, but ultimately falling short.

Teams in the Playoffs:
Metropolitan:
Washington
Pittsburgh
Columbus
NYR

Adams division:
Montreal
Tampa Bay
Toronto

Up for grabs: Ottawa/NYI/Hurricanes/Boston/Flyers

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
The off-season went as well as I could have possibly hoped. Actually better than I could have possibly hoped considering none of us expected to win the lottery. The continued patience is always frustrating at times, but what Hextall is doing is really the smartest approach possible and he's extremely consistent in his philosophy which I appreciate, especially since it's a smart philosophy. With Hakstol, after having the off-season to calm down, I'm willing to wait and see how next season goes. The roster looks to be better, VV and Bellemare are no longer here, we have a goalie tandem that is better for platooning. If he pulls the same schtick as last year, meaning keeping the likes of Konecny in a reduced role or doing wonky things with the goalie starts, then I'm going to sour on him pretty quickly but we'll see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad