You Are The GM Fill in the ? _____ needs

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I think if you are looking for a 'contending' roster these are the pieces right now that the Flyers are short of:

Another 45+ point top 9 winger.
Another 1st pairing defenseman.
Another #4-5 Dman.
Either Mason at last three years level or a ~.918+ sv% starter.

In off-season I'd have:
Read/Weise claimed in expansion.
Attempt to trade MacDonald retained or buy him out.
Try and get Brodin/Manson/Petrovic/Pysyk/Johns/Orlov on a cut-price deal - as they are likely exposed in expansion. Most likely not Brodin as he would cost a hell of a lot. Thinking ~2nd maybe for Petrovic/Pysyk/Orlov... but less for Johns.
Cousins traded.
Either re-sign Mason or get Darling/Bernier on a ~2 year deal. If not them Miller/Elliott.
Fire Lapperiere for sure... maybe other assistants too.

Line-up for next season for me:

Lindblom -- Giroux -- Simmonds
Konecny -- Couturier -- Voracek
Weal -- Filppula -- Schenn
Raffl -- Laughton -- Vecchione
Weise/Read
Bellemare

Provorov -- Gudas
Gostisbehere -- Brodin/Manson/Petrovic/Pysyk/Johns/Orlov
Morin -- Sanheim
Manning

Mason/Darling/Bernier
Neuvirth

I could see Cousins going in a deal for one of those expansion-exposed defensemen.

Something around Cousins and Petrovic maybe?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If we don't have room for all our rookie defensemen now, why would we trade for a veteran?
Provorov and Gudas are top 4, Ghost is top 4 offensively.
Morin, Sanheim and Myers have top 4 potential.
So why give up assets for another defenseman?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
If we don't have room for all our rookie defensemen now, why would we trade for a veteran?

Because they have a free spot on defense for expansion - which very few teams have.

If you can get a Dman who is solid for far lower value than usual why not? There are a lot of good young Dmen who will be exposed. Players can be flipped in future, and the future cannot be predicted. I doubt more than 2 D prospects make the team this year anyway.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ

Because they have a free spot on defense for expansion - which very few teams have.

If you can get a Dman who is solid for far lower value than usual why not? There are a lot of good young Dmen who will be exposed. Players can be flipped in future, and the future cannot be predicted. I doubt more than 2 D prospects make the team this year anyway.

so it sounds like goalie and scoring our top needs to go along with the young D coming up.

Bishop could be a short term

the right sniper could get G going again.

not sure about raffl was hoping he would have the exploding year but he is always hurt.

on a side note everyone has been hoping for the end of amac on this team. if your hextall would you consider the team that takes him that you pay some of the salary and if so how much would you do it for. what would you be comfortable with

Anything less is better then paying full now.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011

I would trade Morin for Pulock. Islanders can't protect him and Morin is exempt. Pulock is a much better dman.

Provorv -Gudas
Ghost - Pulock
Sanheim -Myers

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Overall Hextall has done a good job, including some excellent moves. I agree with his philosophy in building a winner. There are some red flags with respect to contracts, pro scouting/player evaluation and of course Hakstol.

This year was a rebuilding year. Next year is as well. It really should be about player development. I would have preferred to see at least one young d brought up after the deadline to get their feet wet.

It is one thing to say players have to earn it and that no player was hurt by being left in the minors too long, but it is another to have a cluster of mediocre players on contracts and a coach that loves "reliable" vets. Laughton and Leier need another extended look before being risked going through waivers.

If I was GM:

1- Fire Hakstol. Hire someone like Dineen.
2- ED slot on D is an asset. Look to acquire a d at a discount if possible.
3- Teams that are stuck knowing they will lose a better forward might look to acquire one of Read/Raffl/Weise that isn't taken by Vegas. Trade for a pick.
4- Trade PEB. If 3 teams really had interest he should have been traded at the deadline. Let Vecchione and Laughton fight it out for 4C.
5- Get rid of AMac with salary retained.
6- Attempt to trade Neuvirth. Stolarz or Lyon as backup wouldn't be worse than what Neuvirth was this year.
7- Sign Mason to a two year deal. He likely bounces back and is serviceable during the rebuilding phase.
8- Keep Weal.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
so it sounds like goalie and scoring our top needs to go along with the young D coming up.

Bishop could be a short term

the right sniper could get G going again.

not sure about raffl was hoping he would have the exploding year but he is always hurt.

on a side note everyone has been hoping for the end of amac on this team. if your hextall would you consider the team that takes him that you pay some of the salary and if so how much would you do it for. what would you be comfortable with

Anything less is better then paying full now.

Not likely. He'll get 4-5 years this summer for too much money.

I would like to trade Neuvirth for a pick. Sign Mason. Have Stolarz back him up.
Fire the assistant coaches, bring in new ones. Hakstol will stay for at least the next season I feel.
Promote Morin and Sanheim.
Lose Read/Weise in expansion draft.
Sign Lindblom.

Lindblom - Giroux - Simmonds
Konecny/Schenn - Couturier - Voracek
Weal - Filppula - Schenn/Konecny
Laughton/Bellemare - Vecchione/Laughton - Bellemare/Vecchione

Provorov - Gudas
Morin - Gostisbehere
Hagg - MacDonald

Mason
Stolarz

Something like that

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
The assistants on the coaching staff would go. I'd like to see one assistant with head coaching experience in the NHL brought on board, one coach who has had success in major junior and one coach who has had success as an assistant with other franchises.

Hope that one of Read, Raffl or Weise gets picked up in the expansion draft (preferably Read, but more than likely Raffl).

Lock up Jordan Weal to a 2 year prove it contract as well. 2 years/$2.5 million. 1.1 the first season, 1.4 the second.

Buy out Andrew McDonald or eat some salary in a move. He's got three years left, so eat 45% of the contract. Even if it means future considerations, a spot has opened up on the defense.

Promote Hagg, Morin, and Sanheim to the defense. Is it too much youth? Maybe. But get an experienced assistant who can handle young defenders and it shouldn't be something that blows up.

Obviously getting Oskar Lindblom under contract is a must, but so too is Mikhail Vorobyov.

At the draft, the hope is that one of Glass, Petterrsson or Negas is available when the Flyers pick. If they aren't, move down in the draft, grab a guy like Nick Suzuki and add more picks.

Finally, in free agency, there are only a few players I'd like to see them target. I'd like to see Jonathan Bernier signed to a 1 year/$3 million deal. A prove it deal and see how he responds with Dillabough as the goaltending coach (there's history there as well with Hextall, Dillabough and Bernier). Second, get Gostisbehere signed to a bridge contract. A two year deal for $4.7 million - 2.2 million the first year, 2.5 for the second. Finally, a legitimate veteran defenseman to help Gudas with mentoring the young guys. I'd love a guy like Karl Alzner or Shattenkirk, but that's too much money and years. A guy like Trevor Daley wouldn't be a bad target to bring on board to help with the younger defenseman.

Finally, last move. I know it's not a popular one, but at some point, Wayne Simmonds is either going to be extended or traded. As it stands, with Simmonds, Schenn and Voracek, there's nearly $18 million tied up on the right wing. That's too much money for one position. Three things: either move Voracek, move Schenn or move Simmonds. If you look at the three, who would bring the most in return? I think if it became known that Simmonds was available, you could start a bidding war and really land a treasure chest for him. At a minimum, it starts with a blue chip prospect (defense or forward), a young roster player (right wing preferably) and finally multiple draft picks (there needs to be at least a 1st in the package). I'm sure teams like Montreal, Boston, San Jose, Anaheim, etc...would all be interested.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I would trade Morin for Pulock. Islanders can't protect him and Morin is exempt. Pulock is a much better dman.

Provorv -Gudas
Ghost - Pulock
Sanheim -Myers

Pulock is redundant within our group of defensemen. Morin is unique to it.

No way would I trade Morin for Pulock. Watching Morin punish our forwards in Islanders games for the next 7-10 years would be a kick in the balls.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The assistants on the coaching staff would go. I'd like to see one assistant with head coaching experience in the NHL brought on board, one coach who has had success in major junior and one coach who has had success as an assistant with other franchises.

Hope that one of Read, Raffl or Weise gets picked up in the expansion draft (preferably Read, but more than likely Raffl).

Lock up Jordan Weal to a 2 year prove it contract as well. 2 years/$2.5 million. 1.1 the first season, 1.4 the second.

Buy out Andrew McDonald or eat some salary in a move. He's got three years left, so eat 45% of the contract. Even if it means future considerations, a spot has opened up on the defense.

Promote Hagg, Morin, and Sanheim to the defense. Is it too much youth? Maybe. But get an experienced assistant who can handle young defenders and it shouldn't be something that blows up.

Obviously getting Oskar Lindblom under contract is a must, but so too is Mikhail Vorobyov.

At the draft, the hope is that one of Glass, Petterrsson or Negas is available when the Flyers pick. If they aren't, move down in the draft, grab a guy like Nick Suzuki and add more picks.

Finally, in free agency, there are only a few players I'd like to see them target. I'd like to see Jonathan Bernier signed to a 1 year/$3 million deal. A prove it deal and see how he responds with Dillabough as the goaltending coach (there's history there as well with Hextall, Dillabough and Bernier). Second, get Gostisbehere signed to a bridge contract. A two year deal for $4.7 million - 2.2 million the first year, 2.5 for the second. Finally, a legitimate veteran defenseman to help Gudas with mentoring the young guys. I'd love a guy like Karl Alzner or Shattenkirk, but that's too much money and years. A guy like Trevor Daley wouldn't be a bad target to bring on board to help with the younger defenseman.

Finally, last move. I know it's not a popular one, but at some point, Wayne Simmonds is either going to be extended or traded. As it stands, with Simmonds, Schenn and Voracek, there's nearly $18 million tied up on the right wing. That's too much money for one position. Three things: either move Voracek, move Schenn or move Simmonds. If you look at the three, who would bring the most in return? I think if it became known that Simmonds was available, you could start a bidding war and really land a treasure chest for him. At a minimum, it starts with a blue chip prospect (defense or forward), a young roster player (right wing preferably) and finally multiple draft picks (there needs to be at least a 1st in the package). I'm sure teams like Montreal, Boston, San Jose, Anaheim, etc...would all be interested.

That Ghost bridge deal wouldnt get it done. Would probably need to be at least $3 million per.

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ
*Repeal and replace assistant coaching staff...Keep Hakstoll (at least 1 more season)

*Read - Raffl - Weise...1 taken in ED...1 traded

*Sign Ghost 5 yrs 4.9 per

*Sigh Weal 2 yrs 1.1 per

*Sign Mason or some other stop gap goalie for 2 yrs.

*Trade Andrew McDonald…50% retained.

*Bring in Morin and Sanheim.

*Bring in Oskar Lindblom.

*Take advantage of ED and trade for a good Dman and use last protect on him.

*Draft Best Forward Available.

Come in next year like this…

Lindblom - Giroux - Voracek
Konecny- Couturier - Schenn
Weal - Filppula - Simmonds
Bellemare - Vecchione - Laughton (some combo of these 3)
*Leier, Weise extra fwds.

Provorov - Gudas
Morin - Gostisbehere
Sanheim - New Dman

Mason / stop gap
Neuvirth - traded by next yr TDL.
Stolarz

With better Fwds and better D that should help the Goalies bounce back to form.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

No way would I trade Morin for Pulock. Watching Morin punish our forwards in Islanders games for the next 7-10 years would be a kick in the balls.

I have used the analogy that our young D prospects in Provy, Ghost, Myers and Sanheim are the fingers, with Morin being the thumb that allows you to make a fist and punch the opponent in the mouth. Without the thumb, the fist will lack power.

Morin just fits the other guys so well to CONTRAST their play style. We have no one like him in our prospect pool. He will be that pain in the ass to play against every night. And having he, and Provy on 2 of the PK units and ES units should serve us very well. Throw in Gudas, and we become a physical bunch to match the skill of Ghost, Sanheim, etc....

Next year should be a bigger glimpse into a very bright future for our young D.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC

Couldn't agree more. We could really use someone to relieve Simmonds from always having to stick up for everyone. I can wait to see Morin absolutely pummel some of the bigger dbags out there like Chimera or Prout.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Couldn't agree more. We could really use someone to relieve Simmonds from always having to stick up for everyone. I can wait to see Morin absolutely pummel some of the bigger dbags out there like Chimera or Prout.

I want to see him and Wilson go at it.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
A lot of Pulock's value comes on the PP. The Flyers already have Gostisbehere & Provorov with the big club. Sanheim & Myers aren't far behind. The NHL is seemingly going away with using 4 defensemen on the PP so who knows if all four will see time there at once. So I'm not really seeing the need for someone like Pulock who's not on those guys level.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC

This obviously depends on the details to see if it is worth it. If I'm the GM my primary focus would be finding a center to build the team around. I would pull a pens move and bribe whoever I needed to and get the first pick of the draft. We have enough G, D and w prospect depth and quality coming up in the pipeline. C is a huge future question mark. Who knows what is really going on with G hopefully its only getting healthy. Couts is really it. Rubstov has skills but had issues in the K and can't stay healthy playing against boys. I would trade V + for a top young c and move TK to rw.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Yeah that is another factor..Morin will be a deterrent and a protector on top of being a shutdown dman, anchor for a puck-mover, and mainstay on the PK.

I can't imagine how loud it will be in the Wells when Morin first murders someone in a fight.

:yo:

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
I think Morin will definitely be a fan favorite. Will also help the PK clearing the crease which is something they struggle mightily to do

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
For those who get to watch the prospects, Do Myers or Sanhiem on D or any of the bigger wingers we drafted willing to drop the gloves ala Morin or Simmonds?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
For those who get to watch the prospects, Do Myers or Sanhiem on D or any of the bigger wingers we drafted willing to drop the gloves ala Morin or Simmonds?

Not really, a lot of lower leagues have put in even more strict rules against fighting than the NHL has. Essentially thinning the herd on that front.

pinedak

Dec 4, 2014
hextall hasn't truely ever had money to spend. He will get some this offeseason as of now he will have 12.5 m including owing umberger 1.5m and thats at 73m cap could go up.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/flyers

I like it I thought you would have purged bellemare as well as VDV. Not quite sure on Vecchione will use the rest of season to gauge how he will fit.

with at least 12.5 to spend wonder how hextall will use that. haven't really looked at this years FA list. Also thought if hextall really starts to bring up the youth does he hold off at least to start to allow game experience and chemistry and growth, then again if we do bring some free agents would they provide veteran leadership.

It kinda feels like were about a yr away from having the youth up, real money to spend.

I think Appleyard is spot on here for what would be ideal and slightly possible. Obviously more line up changes will be needed over time but that would be an excellent start. It might be worth spending on Brodin if you are getting a tender on the cheap. Helps to force out Amac sooner.

So far as Vecchione goes its not as if the Flyers haven't been watching him for quite some time and at his age they should be reasonably certain in his skills and translational value. Not worth signing a guy who doesn't fit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad