You Are The GM Fill in the ? _____ needs

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
If you are the GM fill in the ? ___ needs

Another season about over. What is your overall impressons of Ron hextall?
Should he continue as GM?
Should Hakstol be fired? does his assistants need to be replaced?

We all know the day hextall took over, he would be paitent, gather assets, develop, and make proper transactions as they presented.

We all knew this would take time, to draft, develop and pick the right time to usher in the youth and get rid of the dead weight.

We all knew his pockets would be tight, until some relief finally happens.

Everything hextall has done, has been without the chance of having money to spend. Will see how he does when he can spend.

So this offseason what players do you want gone? What players are ready to be in NHL from minors next season, please note they will need experience and chemistry which only come from playing, so if we act on the youth full time in NHL it could take a yr and we could be back in the position next season.

Goalie, will we ever find a true #1, the ducks and sharks continue to bread great goalies.

So bottom line you are playing GM - give me what you would do this offseason.

give me your 4 lines for game 1 next season, i know it will be hard not knowing yet based on draft and offseason but a general feel of what you would like to see.

What do you think hextall is thinking of watching the team, he now knows who worth keeping and who is worth not.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I think if you are looking for a 'contending' roster these are the pieces right now that the Flyers are short of:

Another 45+ point top 9 winger.
Another 1st pairing defenseman.
Another #4-5 Dman.
Either Mason at last three years level or a ~.918+ sv% starter.

In off-season I'd have:
Read/Weise claimed in expansion.
Attempt to trade MacDonald retained or buy him out.
Try and get Brodin/Manson/Petrovic/Pysyk/Johns/Orlov on a cut-price deal - as they are likely exposed in expansion. Most likely not Brodin as he would cost a hell of a lot. Thinking ~2nd maybe for Petrovic/Pysyk/Orlov... but less for Johns.
Cousins traded.
Either re-sign Mason or get Darling/Bernier on a ~2 year deal. If not them Miller/Elliott.
Fire Lapperiere for sure... maybe other assistants too.

Line-up for next season for me:

Lindblom -- Giroux -- Simmonds
Konecny -- Couturier -- Voracek
Weal -- Filppula -- Schenn
Raffl -- Laughton -- Vecchione
Weise/Read
Bellemare

Provorov -- Gudas
Gostisbehere -- Brodin/Manson/Petrovic/Pysyk/Johns/Orlov
Morin -- Sanheim
Manning

Mason/Darling/Bernier
Neuvirth

boodangleroo28

Jul 9, 2010
I think we are at the point where we need a 2 for 1 deal. We have too much depth and need higher quality. Some combination of 1 of the bottom six guys and perhaps a prospect. Some team should be lacking depth that would be intrigued by a package of cousins hagg for example.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
I think we are at the point where we need a 2 for 1 deal. We have too much depth and need higher quality. Some combination of 1 of the bottom six guys and perhaps a prospect. Some team should be lacking depth that would be intrigued by a package of cousins hagg for example.

For example who would you trade them for??

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
The whole coaching staff needs to be replaced, hextall is doing a good job (out side of free agency)

hextall hasn't truely ever had money to spend. He will get some this offeseason as of now he will have 12.5 m including owing umberger 1.5m and thats at 73m cap could go up.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/flyers

I think if you are looking for a 'contending' roster these are the pieces right now that the Flyers are short of:

Another #4-5 Dman.

In off-season I'd have:
Try and get Brodin/Manson/Petrovic/Pysyk/Johns/Orlov on a cut-price deal - as they are likely exposed in expansion. Most likely not Brodin as he would cost a hell of a lot. Thinking ~2nd maybe for Petrovic/Pysyk/Orlov... but less for Johns.
Cousins traded.
Either re-sign Mason or get Darling/Bernier on a ~2 year deal. If not them Miller/Elliott.

Weise/Read
Bellemare

Provorov -- Gudas
Morin -- Sanheim
Manning

Mason/Darling/Bernier
Neuvirth

I like it I thought you would have perged bellemare aswell as VDV. Not quite sure on vecchione will use the rest of season to guage how he will fit.

with atleast 12.5 to spend wonder how hextall will use that. haven't really looked at this years FA list. Also thought if hextall really starts to bring up the youth does he hold off atleast to start to allow game experience and chemistry and growth, then again if we do bring some free agents would they provide veteran leadership.

It kinda feels like were about a yr away from having the youth up, real money to spend.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ

For example who would you trade them for??

would you possibly go after a number 1 goalie. every year it seems the ducks, sharks, heck even kings continue to produce great goalies. would like to get some of there coaches here.

my goal would to get a true number 1, a guy who you can play 60+ game you know what you are going to get, would rather have mason be back up, mason has played well but we need a true number 1.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
hextall hasn't truely ever had money to spend. He will get some this offeseason as of now he will have 12.5 m including owing umberger 1.5m and thats at 73m cap could go up.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/flyers

I like it I thought you would have perged bellemare aswell as VDV. Not quite sure on vecchione will use the rest of season to guage how he will fit.

with atleast 12.5 to spend wonder how hextall will use that. haven't really looked at this years FA list. Also thought if hextall really starts to bring up the youth does he hold off atleast to start to allow game experience and chemistry and growth, then again if we do bring some free agents would they provide veteran leadership.

It kinda feels like were about a yr away from having the youth up, real money to spend.

I would - but was trying to be semi-realistic!

UFA is pretty dire this year, no fwds that will not be overpaid - and on D maybe only Brendan Smith fits bill as youngish, wont be too expensive + decent player. ~4 decent goalies who wont cost moon/wont get long term though. (Bernier, Miller, Darling and Elliott... and ofc Mason)

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
I would - but was trying to be semi-realistic!

UFA is pretty dire this year, no fwds that will not be overpaid - and on D maybe only Brendan Smith fits bill as youngish, wont be too expensive + decent player. ~4 decent goalies who wont cost moon/wont get long term though. (Bernier, Miller, Darling and Elliott... and ofc Mason)

this is for everyone to share

of all the young guys to be on this team last year or 2. Your review could they play better if we had better coaches, or better players? if we aren't able to get a whole lot in FA and we have to keep some of the current who would you keep or let go, who could play better if they were on another line

keep
weise
weal

let go
read
vdv
Peb

anyone else im forgetting

boodangleroo28

Jul 9, 2010
would you possibly go after a number 1 goalie. every year it seems the ducks, sharks, heck even kings continue to produce great goalies. would like to get some of there coaches here.

my goal would to get a true number 1, a guy who you can play 60+ game you know what you are going to get, would rather have mason be back up, mason has played well but we need a true number 1.

I wouldn't want to move to much in value for a goalie with some potential options in the summer such as bishop being available, I think he makes a lot of sense at 3 years or less.

Perhaps hagg/cousins could be apart of the deal for one of the defenseman appleyard listed, couldn't agree more the great opportunity to capitalize on one of the teams who can't protect all their defensemen.

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
Keep Hextall, fire Hakstol if next season goes poorly.

Offense: Team produces little 5 on 5. No long term fix in free agency. But for the short run maybe a signing like Vrbata, Vanek or Jagr on low cost deals could help bring back G and Jake's play to elite level if they have a pure sniper to play with.

Defense: they a horrific. No poise with the puck. The only play they know is a chip off the glass. But here there is no LONG TERM fix as Shattenkirk would be too pricey.

However, I was not overly impressed with Morin when I saw him play for Lehigh Valley this year. Sanheim was ok. Never saw Hagg. Keep the course FOR NOW.

Goalie: Go for Bishop. Let Mason walk. We will never get better with him because you really never know what Mason will get in the net for any given game. He is too inconsistent.

*Pray that Vegas picks up Weise/Read/MacDonald and if Laughton is taken, meh.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I wouldn't do much this offseason other than promote kids and give them a shot, then clean out the discards in September. I'd want to eliminate "duplicate" players, Cousins or Weal, MV or Leier. Since none have real trade value, let 'em duke it out and may the best player win.

I might promote all three rookie D-man and give Myers a good look in camp - at some point a D-man will have to be traded, but I'd wait a couple years to determine who to keep and who'd bring the best value (Sanheim or Ghost?, Morin or Hagg?). I have no problem playing 3 rookies b/c other than Myers, we're talking AHL veterans, not 19 year old junior promotions.

I would explore a trade for Giroux or Voracek, Flyers could use a young physical center with good speed and it would take a major piece to obtain one. This would allow Rubtsov and Vorobyov to start their careers as #3/#4 centers and work their way up. I would talk to Simmonds about an extension, to me, he's a core player b/c of his intangibles, brings an edge that G & V lack.

I would only look at short-term contract FAs, MacDonald should be the object lesson for anyone tempted to overpay. Build from within, use FA only to patch to buy time for kids to develop, and trading for the last year(s) of a bad contract is probably more cost effective (i.e. we got paid to take Filppula's contract).

I'd see next year as a bridge year until the kids start arriving at forward, the defensemen arrive in 2017-18, the forwards 2018-19 and 2019-20. Once the roster has been built up, then look for the quantity for quality trade, but not to get into the playoffs, but to contend for a cup.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013

Another #4-5 Dman.

In off-season I'd have:
Cousins traded.

Weise/Read
Bellemare

Provorov -- Gudas
Morin -- Sanheim
Manning

Mason/Darling/Bernier
Neuvirth

What's Manson's trade value?

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
TJ Oshie.
but he is going to get some serious coin from someone. Unless he gets a discount to stay in Washington.

Oshie is a pretty similar player to Schenn and his numbers are super inflated this season. Could get $6-7MM with more term than the Flyers would be interested in

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Oshie is a pretty similar player to Schenn and his numbers are super inflated this season. Could get $6-7MM with more term than the Flyers would be interested in

he is having a career year. but I agree he likely would be out of the Flyers price range. just throwing the name out there. But the Flyers do need offense. so they likely are going to have to pay for it somewhere. Not sure if counting on the kids coming in being enough.

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
he is having a career year. but I agree he likely would be out of the Flyers price range. just throwing the name out there. But the Flyers do need offense. so they likely are going to have to pay for it somewhere. Not sure if counting on the kids coming in being enough.

Maybe Sharp? Could be getting a show-me deal. Hip surgery is a concern

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Flyers will get a big offensive boost from the young defensemen, and Lindblom. Then the next season, the kids should start arriving.

The biggest issue going forward will be goalie, but again, that's best addressed from within the organization, we have enough prospects, it's a matter of identifying and developing the right prospect.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Manson would cost an arm and a leg, I would imagine. Pysyk is the name that piques my interest if he would come reasonably.

Hakstol is coming back whether we like it or not. I would love to see

Provorov - Gudas
Morin - Gostisbehere
Sanheim - Pysyk
MacDonald (or Manning)

Scott Gordon would be immediately canned and I would push hard for Gilles Bouchard or Brent Kisio.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->