Confirmed with Link: Yannick Weber NOT qualified (signs a 1 year deal with Vancouver)

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Beach? Colborne? Nemisz?

Along that type. Colborne, well Leafs might still think he's leap ahead as far as potential is concerned. Nemisz? Why not. Really dissapointed though I didn't want him in his draft year. Beach would be good.

Colby Robak? Kundratek? I mean, we could maybe try and get already NHL'er, still borderline about to be send back. Just like Weber is. Ian Cole....Jonathan Blum? Can we go as much as this?

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
Salary arbitration (the next step available) can only save you 15% off the Q.O. Should Weber reject that, I believe he can sign with anyone, for anything, and if he signs for less than $1.0X million/year the Habs would get no compensation despite still being RFA throughout the process.

Ah didn't know he was going to arbitration. Makes sense now, thanks.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
We've been saying for a while that he had no value.

If he has no trade value it's because he will cost a cap hit of 1 mil, not because he's a bad player. There will be 100 worse NHL players on NHL rosters in October.

Weber will do fine when he goes on a team where his talents fit their needs.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
If Falk can get a player and 6th rounder, then I don't see how Weber couldn't get a 7th

ak90210

Sep 18, 2011
Not that Weber is great or anything but signing Drewiskie to a two year extension (and a Bouillion extension) and not even qualifying Weber is another in a long line of moves by bergeron that make no sense.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Not that Weber is great or anything but signing Drewiskie to a two year extension (and a Bouillion extension) and not even qualifying Weber is another in a long line of moves by bergeron that make no sense.
1. Who's Bergeron?
2. Drewiske > Weber even if I'd rather have none of them
3. Who cares? He's not useful to our team, plain and simple.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
To say that he is not the right fit in our team is OK.

Saying he is horrible or that Drew is better than Weber is not a fair assessment.
If we should wait till 26 for tall d-men, I don't see why we should decide for a player like Weber who has a good hockey sense and has a size problem in our team.
BTW, at 200 lbs, he does have enough to clear the crease with most player, just pair him with a big d-men (Emelin, Tinordi) against biggest teams.
If we did not had Subban nor Markov, we would be more realist with Weber.
But we have two of the top-20 (if not top-10) PMD in the league.
Same was said about Kaberle, whereas he did play well enough but because of buy-out rules he was kept of the ice.

I still remember that Streit was deemed as the worst d-men for years after leaving us.
How about Ribeiro, who was a piece of **** for many years after being traded.
Go back five years and look at the comments about Grabovski. Most said he would never reach 50 points: he did 48, 58 and 51 points plus one season where had a pace of 48 points despite being injured.
Repeating a lie for years does not make it true and eventually, it is tough to argue against players who get repeated multi-year contracts at 5M.

In one game in PO, Tinordi did more errors than Weber did during the whole season.
So in one game, he becomes bad and needs to wait another year before getting ice time?
And we go all around the league, looking for d-men when the answer is only to continue to develop JT in Montreal.

He already spent a season in the press box.
For Weber's sake, we should let him go if we can not ice him.

Let's see in four years and reconvene to compare Weber 2017 with Drewiske 2013.
Let's go back 5 years (after 2006-2007) and compare Streit and Komisarek... and now?

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Weber had similar or better numbers to Subban in junior. He didn't progress as fast but he's been up and down. If he were consistently bad it would be one thing, but he's had some good games and he can put up points. Not a good fit for the habs but possibly a guy they will regret letting go in a few years like Robidas.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Weber had similar or better numbers to Subban in junior. He didn't progress as fast but he's been up and down. If he were consistently bad it would be one thing, but he's had some good games and he can put up points. Not a good fit for the habs but possibly a guy they will regret letting go in a few years like Robidas.

I agree, I hope they can at least get something for him. At worse try and sign him 2 years 1 way 750k then look at moving him later.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Heard from a good source that the issue with Weber is if they give him a QO, he can ask for Arbitration. He barely played last year but his career NHL numbers 5-27-32 in 115 games look pretty good in an arbitration hearing...at least that's the reasoning, but I can't see a huge award...

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
Heard from a good source that the issue with Weber is if they give him a QO, he can ask for Arbitration. He barely played last year but his career NHL numbers 5-27-32 in 115 games look pretty good in an arbitration hearing...at least that's the reasoning, but I can't see a huge award...

Habs can always walk away if the offer is no good, correct? Or was that reneged with the new CBA?

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

I heard someone say (as justification for TB not qualifying Pouliot) that under the new CBA, teams can't walk away from any arbitration award under $3.5m...which Weber's would surely be. So if they don't qualify him, he loses his arbitration rights, and can be signed for cheaper than his QO/arbitration award. As I understand it.

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
I honestly couldn't care less if he's let go.

He's just not a very good or useful NHL player, and not a prospect anymore. For years he's always been outshined by similar but superior defensive prospect, its time to let him go.

Perhaps we could have a 4th rounder for him a year or two ago but ultimately it doesn't really matter now.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I honestly couldn't care less if he's let go.

He's just not a very good or useful NHL player, and not a prospect anymore. For years he's always been outshined by similar but superior defensive prospect, its time to let him go.

Perhaps we could have a 4th rounder for him a year or two ago but ultimately it doesn't really matter now.

He is a useful NHLer, just needs to go to a team that needs his particular skillset. The mix on our defense is already saturated with skilled PMD's. I'll repeat what I keep saying, he'll be a solid #5-6 who'll help a PP on a team that needs his skillset. He's a lot better than MAB who had a decent run in the NHL.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site

Drewiski's contract is at a far lower level than Weber's QO would have to be. It makes perfect sense if you take the time to think about it.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
I heard someone say (as justification for TB not qualifying Pouliot) that under the new CBA, teams can't walk away from any arbitration award under $3.5m...which Weber's would surely be. So if they don't qualify him, he loses his arbitration rights, and can be signed for cheaper than his QO/arbitration award. As I understand it.

That makes sense, too. At the moment he is a $700K to $900K defenseman.

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS 57s
Le Canadien ne fait pas d'offre qualificative à Yannick Weber. Il devient joueur autonome sans compensation. #RDS

___

So Weber is now a free agent.

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
Don't agree with Engels saying he never got a shot here. He definitely did get extended looks and never did enough to stick. He got shafted this year, but that's only because Therrien and the staff clearly didn't believe in him enough to put him in there.

Hope he catches on elsewhere. That mythical shot of his was too often missing in action.

Analyzer*

Yannick "The Blast That Goes PAST" Weber is bidding us all aideu.

Au revoir, Veber

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad