Post-Game Talk: Yaaaaawn

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Usually the biggest mismatch are towards the end of the pre-season when you get the crossover of teams that have set their rosters and the teams that are giving their fringe players one more game/resting their stars đź‘Ť

or you have the home stars vs the away scrubs like last night or Florida vs Carolina tonight
For sure. Really just need to look at lineups as who knows what teams think at times. Betting on pre-season without knowing lineups is a massive risk.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
For sure. Really just need to look at lineups as who knows what teams think at times. Betting on pre-season without knowing lineups is a massive risk.

Twitter is a must for sure. Usually can find them on game day as teams feel the need post them to be transparent with the fans buying the tickets to the games.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Only Patsy I could think off was Patsy Cline. Man there was lots of talented musicians that lost their lives in plane crashes. I’m only touching a few here i bet
Patsy Cline
Buddy Holly
Ritchie Valens
Big Bobber
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Randy Rhodes
Lynyrd Skynyrd members

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Only Patsy I could think off was Patsy Cline. Man there was lots of talented musicians that lost their lives in plane crashes. I’m only touching a few here i bet
Patsy Cline
Buddy Holly
Ritchie Valens
Big Bobber
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Randy Rhodes
Lynyrd Skynyrd members
Ya that’s a sad list. Some very good music artists. Also,
Sitting on the Dock of the Bay - Otis Redding
Bad bad Leroy Brown - Jim Croce

Stands to reason. Musicians fly for their job so perhaps are/were more at risk than the average person.

Sports teams too (Sask Riders going to all star game in 1956, Marshall football team, Payne Stewart, Kobe, , but even with them, most of the tragic stories are in the 60s and 70s when commercial air travel was less regulated and maybe had less safety protocols.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Patsy Cline
Buddy Holly
Ritchie Valens
Big Bobber
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Randy Rhodes
Lynyrd Skynyrd members
Reba McEntire lost her band to a plane crash too in the 80s or early 90s. She was supposed to be on it but didn't take the chartered flight for some reason. Holly, Valens and Bopper were all together in the crash that killed them.

Reactions: brentashton

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

Stands to reason. Musicians fly for their job so perhaps are/were more at risk than the average person.

Sports teams too (Sask Riders going to all star game in 1956, Marshall football team, Payne Stewart, Kobe, , but even with them, most of the tragic stories are in the 60s and 70s when commercial air travel was less regulated and maybe had less safety protocols.
Reba McEntire lost her band to a plane crash too in the 80s or early 90s. She was supposed to be on it but didn't take the chartered flight for some reason. Holly, Valens and Bopper were all together in the crash that killed them.
And my all time Country hero was lucky that day, Waylon Jennings . When u look at some of the planes they flew back then, they would never be allowed today.
@brentashton mentioned a few as well, Otis Redding and Jim Croce. Those guys were unbelievable. I listen to lots of Motown music from that era. Otis Redding was da man . I’m a huge Rolling Stones fan and they were heavily influenced by black music. Motown musicians were unreal.

I was unaware of the Reba band members crash

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

US boxing team in 1980 in Poland was a bad one
Rugby plane crash in the Andes

Reactions: brentashton

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
US boxing team in 1980 in Poland was a bad one
Rugby plane crash in the Andes

If you want a good read and aren’t afraid to be jolted about how the crash survivors survived - cannibalism, very graphic, read this book. It’s jarring.

Alive: The Story of the Andes Survivors, Piers Paul Read.​

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Defence is still my biggest worry. Defence was a problem last year and I don’t think we are at all improved from last year.
Nurse needs to step it up huge and Bouchard needs to take another step. That and we got to hope Ceci of last year isn’t a fluke.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
And my all time Country hero was lucky that day, Waylon Jennings . When u look at some of the planes they flew back then, they would never be allowed today.
@brentashton mentioned a few as well, Otis Redding and Jim Croce. Those guys were unbelievable. I listen to lots of Motown music from that era. Otis Redding was da man . I’m a huge Rolling Stones fan and they were heavily influenced by black music. Motown musicians were unreal.

I was unaware of the Reba band members crash
John Denver is another one.
If you want a good read and aren’t afraid to be jolted about how the crash survivors survived - cannibalism, very graphic, read this book. It’s jarring.

And @yukoner88 The movie bearing the same name as the book is really good too.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

I’m debating on watching the Dahmer show on Netflix. If I can handle that, I’ll ready the book your mentioning

Wasn't the Andes one of the ones where the survivors resorted to cannibalism to stay alive?

Yep, Brent beat me to the punch lol
1664501214320.jpeg

Reactions: Ritchie Valens

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
John Denver is another one.

And @yukoner88 The movie bearing the same name as the book is really good too.
I didn’t put John Denver because he was flying that plane I believe that day. Same as Sonny Bono as well?
Regardless, Denver was a great musician and songwriter
Hey @brentashton , can u imagine John Denver and Jim Croce teaming up for a song if they were alive. Be a dandy I bet

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I’m debating on watching the Dahmer show on Netflix. If I can handle that, I’ll ready the book your mentioning
I watched the first episode and am hesitant to continue, but most because I found the plot to be plodding. I will probably jump into the second episode next week because I am hearing it’s a good series. The premise to this series is absolutely gross for sure. The Andes book was easier to read than maybe the dahmer backstory, because it’s a story of human survival, versus being a psycho criminal. Although for Dahmers victims I guess it too is a story of survival and sadly for many, not.

I didn’t put John Denver because he was flying that plane I believe that day. Same as Sonny Bono as well?
Regardless, Denver was a great musician and songwriter
Hey @brentashton , can u imagine John Denver and Jim Croce teaming up for a song if they were alive. Be a dandy I bet
I freakin love Jim Croce’s music. Ya him and John would be a good duo.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

View attachment 589727

One show I love on tv is "Mayday" (also known as "Air Crash Investigation) but I don't know if they've ever done an episode based on the rugby team crash.

Don't forget Lokomotiv on this list as well...lots of former NHL players (and good ones too) died in that horrendous crash. Pavel Demitra was one. This crash was an episode of Mayday.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I watched the first episode and am hesitant to continue, but most because I found the plot to be plodding. I will probably jump into the second episode next week because I am hearing it’s a good series. The premise to this series is absolutely gross for sure. The Andes book was easier to read than maybe the dahmer backstory, because it’s a story of human survival, versus being a psycho criminal. Although for Dahmers victims I guess it too is a story of survival and sadly for many, not.

Buddy of mine sent this to me last night (FB screen grab) and my response in green.

Screenshot_20220929-193447.png

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
One show I love on tv is "Mayday" (also known as "Air Crash Investigation) but I don't know if they've ever done an episode based on the rugby team crash.

Don't forget Lokomotiv on this list as well...lots of former NHL players (and good ones too) died in that horrendous crash. Pavel Demitra was one. This crash was an episode of Mayday.
I fly a lot and I also watch Mayday. My wife thinks I’m chancing fate.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Exactly, Andes survivors ate because they had to . I’m sure if a mountain goat was around , they would have grabbed that. They were at a high altitude. With Dahmer, he did it because he wanted to, a complete psycho

I seen a dandy documentary last year about Serial Killers in the 70’ and 80’s. They did a special each night
Ted Bundy
Gary Ridgway
Wayne Gacy
BTK
Jeffry Dahmer

I was blown away. They had interviews with these wackos in jail after the gig was up. Ridgway was more concerned with most kills
They all had something in common, they could hide in plain sight and not bring attention to themselves. Change personality at drop of dime

Look at that nut Russell Williams in military . Killed a woman, took pictures with bra and panties on and was off to a Canadian Military plane with Peter MacKay , defence minister, not even an hr after killing her

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

Lotomotiv is eerie similar to the plane crashes in the plane crashes in the 60’s. Terrible planes and pilots

Throw in James Taylor and Ozzy in the back ground

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Lotomotiv is eerie similar to the plane crashes in the plane crashes in the 60’s. Terrible planes and pilots

Throw in James Taylor and Ozzy in the back ground
I just went to James Taylor in Edmonton back in May. Wonderful singer songwriter. I’m trying to catch up,on musical acts that are putting on the 18th green that I’ve seen or want to see one more time before they head to the clubhouse the final time.

i leave for Arizona in 2 weeks and have tickets so far for:
-Hall and Oates in Laughlin Nevada (seen them in the 1980s)
-Gordon Lightfoot (seen him in 1976, the first or second act to play the new Northlands Coliseum
-ZZ Top, never seen them before and won’t be the same without Dusty Hill, but I’m guessing they will still play some great blues.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Hey @brentashton , @Ritchie Valens git a funny story for ya cause i threw in Ozzy

Years ago, at least 20 years I figure, Dr Hook played at a beer garden in my home town. They had the band catered for in the hockey dressing rooms. My uncle was bouncing it and had to go in dressing room to get Dr Hook. He was completely wasted. He didn’t even know what province he was in let alone town. My uncle had to take him to the stage. When he got up on stage and started, he never missed a note and sounded awesome. Something like Ozzy. I guess they gotta take the edge off

I just went to James Taylor in Edmonton back in May. Wonderful singer songwriter. I’m trying to catch up,on musical acts that are putting on the 18th green that I’ve seen or want to see one more time before they head to the clubhouse the final time.

i leave for Arizona in 2 weeks and have tickets so far for:
-Hall and Oates in Laughlin Nevada (seen them in the 1980s)
-Gordon Lightfoot (seen him in 1976, the first or second act to play the new Northlands Coliseum
-ZZ Top, never seen them before and won’t be the same without Dusty Hill, but I’m guessing they will still play some great blues.
Seen ZZ Top at Shediac Rock Fest in 99. They were absolutely awesome. We were right beside stage in a private area with free food, free booze for Moosehead. We pulled off a scam to pull that one off. I’ll get ya that story in a bit. Funny as fuk

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Hey @brentashton , @Ritchie Valens git a funny story for ya cause i threw in Ozzy

Years ago, at least 20 years I figure, Dr Hook played at a beer garden in my home town. They had the band catered for in the hockey dressing rooms. My uncle was bouncing it and had to go in dressing room to get Dr Hook. He was completely wasted. He didn’t even know what province he was in let alone town. My uncle had to take him to the stage. When he got up on stage and started, he never missed a note and sounded awesome. Something like Ozzy. I guess they gotta take the edge off

Seen ZZ Top at Shediac Rock Fest in 99. They were absolutely awesome. We were right beside stage in a private area with free food, free booze for Moosehead. We pulled off a scam to pull that one off. I’ll get ya that story in a bit. Funny as fuk
1970s rock. Gotta love it!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad