Post-Game Talk: Yaaaaawn

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
What is your objective to come on an Oiler fan site and state this? Besides the obvious (and so piss poor) troll job?

I assume you are donating your winnings to the SaddleDump Roof Rehabilitation Fund.

lol I've been a member of HfOil for 18 years and have a postcount of like 15k exclusively on the Oilers board. Do you really not recognise my username? We've engaged in several of the same topics since youve been here:rolleyes:

Was just pointing out how big of a mismatch it was before the game even started. It's preseason, loosen up a bit. Jesus Christ

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
How did Demers look, was at work
-4. Was horrible.

Holloway had a rough game as well at -3. Nobody except McLeod and Nemo were good tonight. Its a disturbing look particularly from the vets like Foegele, If this is all Benson has got just ship him to Bakersfield now. Was a bad outing for him.

Nobody doing themselves any favors that are on the bubble, in this game.

Ryan Murray was bad in this game and somehow was EV. He was tentative and giving pucks away.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Just a reminder how lucky we are to have McDrai.
I mean, any team is going to struggle to score when you don't have your entire top 6 and 2 best defensemen. lol. Best yes, obviously the offense revolves around McDavid and Drai and we are lucky to have them.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
-4. Was horrible.

Holloway had a rough game as well at -3. Nobody except McLeod and Nemo were good tonight. Its a disturbing look particularly from the vets like Foegele, If this is all Benson has got just ship him to Bakersfield now. Was a bad outing for him.

Nobody doing themselves any favors that are on the bubble, in this game.

Ryan Murray was bad in this game and somehow was EV. He was tentative and giving pucks away.
+/- for Holloway? You serious? The dude forchecked a handful of plays w/ body position to create prime chances

No wonder you drool over JP and his abandonment to forcheck proper cycles

Citing Holloways +/- is plain stupid

What if, just what if, in on a handful of those cut offs he defaulted to McD or Drai and they made incredible plays like JP gets all the f******* time

Terrible take

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
+/- for Holloway? You serious? The dude forchecked a handful of plays w/ body position to create prime chances

No wonder you drool over JP and his abandonment to forcheck proper cycles

Citing Holloways +/- is plain stupid

What if, just what if, in on a handful of those cut offs he defaulted to McD or Drai and they made incredible plays like JP gets all the f******* time

Terrible take
Bringing up +\- in a game where like 4 nhl players played against a lineup full of them is just silly in general.

Last edited:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
That poster is a board regular. No reason to think he’s a Flames fan at all. I think he’s just happy he won some money. I would be too after watching that dismal snore fest.
Perhaps. I think it’s poor form to gloat about betting against a team on their fan board and winning. Regular season, preseason or otherwise.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Bringing up +\- in a game where like 4 nhl players played against a lineup full of them is just silly in general.
Woulld be silly if I was using the stat to dump on the player. It was a mere mention, after mentioning Demers was -4.

That said I'm a purist. The first rule when encountering an outmatched situation in hockey is to get pucks deep and stay between puck and goal as much as possible. Play for a low score game instead of being on wrong side of puck multiple times. its a learning experience but all players have to learn this if they want to be outscorers, and especially if they are playing uphill against stronger competition or stronger lines.

The Oilers in 97 and 98 beat relative goliaths by attempting to keep scorelines low. its what underdogs do, or should do. In the case of last nights game we were the underdog. Frankly I would have been fine with the players on ice trying to play for a low GA game. But its no big deal. I could see people looking at it the other way and just wanting some entertainment but I don't think that even offensively the team established much at all. Really it was just turning pucks over and overplaying puck and drags and stuff. Most of the team.

As mentioned the few players that simplified and played north south like McLeod or Malone had better games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dieseloil

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Perhaps. I think it’s poor form to gloat about betting against a team on their fan board and winning. Regular season, preseason or otherwise.
Chalk this one up to generational. Would be considered in our sports upbringing not to bet against your team for any reason. You just don't do it. I don't know where that became what was learned but a similar sentiment doesn't seem to exist with younger generations who have been raised differently to believe you bet on anything. I mean we live in an age where Wallstreet often bets on losses. I tend to think that in that realm too short betting should be frowned on. Its a terrible practice that harms other investors, harms companies, and introduces stunts instead of investing on sound company bottom lines. it introduces crap table to the market. Don't bet against success, or for failure. To me its just unhelpful.

This is not in relation to the other poster. No harm no foul. Especially in an exhibition game the poster simply bet against the club. I wouldn't do it, but others would.

Reactions: oilers'72

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
This will be opening night D pairings:

Nurse/Ceci
Murray/Bouchard
Kulak/Barrie
Niemelainen

Reactions: Aerchon

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Meh I should have bet money. It was an AHL team against an NHL one. AKA easy money.

It’s silly to think the Oilers would win today.
I can't believe they even have pre-season games for betting. Even if you know the lineup you really don't know how much the good players are actually going to play.

Going to have to take a look myself and see if there are any other dumb odds going forward.

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
My friend from Calgary didn’t stop trash texting me until 2:00 am last night. He said the Red Mile was on fire and thousands of people were parading…

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Pickard seems like a good signing as 1C

Solid depth for goaltending, when's the last time we had this? 2006?

I'm reading some good progression on the players, some maybe more advanced than projected.

They held their own but they lacked a bit of offensive finish.

Some may need more development time, but that's okay, everyone develops at a different pace.
Nothing wrong being late bloomers.
Finally figured out what you meant. Initially thought you wanted him playing first line centre...

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
lol I've been a member of HfOil for 18 years and have a postcount of like 15k exclusively on the Oilers board. Do you really not recognise my username? We've engaged in several of the same topics since youve been here:rolleyes:

Was just pointing out how big of a mismatch it was before the game even started. It's preseason, loosen up a bit. Jesus Christ
I’m only upset because I didn’t even think of betting on this game.

Woulda been easy money

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
I couldn't resist going onto the CP forums and had some serious lol's

I just hope if we lose a BOA in the future I am able to wipe it from my memory that fast.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I’m guessing we see some cuts soon. Hopefully quite a bit. 5 more preseason games and we should look at getting more guys in the lineup.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
the following players in the line-up last night that will take a regular shift in the NHL in the regular season:
Tyson Barrie
Ryan McLeod
Warren Foegele (iffy but I'm putting him here)

once again, the rest of the line-up were rookies, bubble players and career AHLers

the line-up lack established skill and it's really hard to judge a game when it was so mis-matched...another completely useless game

I thought Holloway was really quiet against NHLers but again, hard to judge
Foegele was disappointing
goalie are meh
Mcleod was a speed demon but overwhelmed
Petrov had some looks

Virtanen and Demers should be cut today....it's over for them

next year, shave the pre-season down to 6 games max

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
the following players in the line-up last night that will take a regular shift in the NHL in the regular season:
Tyson Barrie
Ryan McLeod
Warren Foegele (iffy but I'm putting him here)

once again, the rest of the line-up were rookies, bubble players and career AHLers

the line-up lack established skill and it's really hard to judge a game when it was so mis-matched...another completely useless game

I thought Holloway was really quiet against NHLers but again, hard to judge
Foegele was disappointing
goalie are meh
Mcleod was a speed demon but overwhelmed
Petrov had some looks

Virtanen and Demers should be cut today....it's over for them

next year, shave the pre-season down to 6 games max
I thought goaltending was our only bright spot. (And McLeod)

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Skinner is 94.3% and Pickard 96.3% so far in the pre-season... goaltending has been solid and a definite positive and we haven't even seen Campbell yet.

The defensive structure has been pretty good in these games too. Considering we are playing our B/C guys. I just dont see us giving up much in terns of grade A chances. The goalies have been good but the defense in general has been pretty solid as well.

Its been boring hockey though. Hopefully the defensive structure stays in place once we start playing our offensive players.

I am pretty comfortable with Skinner as a backup. Pickard has shown that hes serviceable if there is an injury. Hopefully Campbell plays well and doesnt have too many injuries.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I couldn't resist going onto the CP forums and had some serious lol's

I just hope if we lose a BOA in the future I am able to wipe it from my memory that fast.

They are a group that is almost unique with respect to psychological theory.

They still aren't past the denial stage and at this point I don't think they ever will be. They truly live in a different reality than everyone else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad