Post-Game Talk: Yaaaaawn

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
If we're to read anything into the lines, it would seem that Holloway is the odd man out for now and based on Holland's "Holloway is top 9 or bust" comments (which I agree with), I'm having a hard time seeing him on the team until one of the top 9 forwards are moved although I'm sure they could move Foegele to the 4th line I suppose.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
They put it all on Markstrom, yet they havent really turned on him it seems. They just act like it was a fluke. Well and a Tanev injury I guess.

I dont necessarily disagree but I do think its short sighted from them. Markstrom didnt really give them a chance to win that series. But the Oilers have a history of lighting him up. Calgary is pretty much always going to have to go through Edmonton if they want to do anything. Edmonton is in his head at this point.

The other thing is ... I dont think Smith was very good in the Calgary series either. And the Oilers still won 4-1. If Campbell is any kind of an upgrade on Smith (which I hope is the case), I just think the gap is even that much bigger.

Calgary's "star" players are just never going to outplay Edmonton's star players. Its not really a fault of Calgary, McDavid and Draisaitl are awesome and they proved it in that series.
You don't necessarily disagree with Flames fans calling the series win a fluke? I'm assuming that's a misunderstanding on my part because that would be crazy. For a Tanev being injured, I'll raise them a severely injured Nurse being a liability and a one legged Drai so they can take their excuses and throw them right into the Saddledump with the rest of the trash.

Edit: Maybe you were talking about the Oilers lighting up Markstrom being a fluke. Just more garbage excuses in any case.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
They put it all on Markstrom, yet they havent really turned on him it seems. They just act like it was a fluke. Well and a Tanev injury I guess.

I dont necessarily disagree but I do think its short sighted from them. Markstrom didnt really give them a chance to win that series. But the Oilers have a history of lighting him up. Calgary is pretty much always going to have to go through Edmonton if they want to do anything. Edmonton is in his head at this point.

The other thing is ... I dont think Smith was very good in the Calgary series either. And the Oilers still won 4-1. If Campbell is any kind of an upgrade on Smith (which I hope is the case), I just think the gap is even that much bigger.

Calgary's "star" players are just never going to outplay Edmonton's star players. Its not really a fault of Calgary, McDavid and Draisaitl are awesome and they proved it in that series.
Markstrom is the sole reason that team was in first place. Imagine blaming the best player on your club who couldn't even save their bacon. Not even Sutter really believed in that club. I can't really say why he's still doing it.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
You don't necessarily disagree with Flames fans calling the series win a fluke? I'm assuming that's a misunderstanding on my part because that would be crazy. For a Tanev being injured, I'll raise them a severely injured Nurse being a liability and a one legged Drai so they can take their excuses and throw them right into the Saddledump with the rest of the trash.

No, thats not what I meant. I dont think Edmonton winning was a fluke.

I just meant that Markstrom was terrible in that series. There are very few teams that would of won with that kind of goaltending (thats the part I partially agree with). I think Calgary fans think that Markstroms performance was bad luck (a fluke where he had a bad week). But fact of the matter is, Edmonton has been scoring on will against Markstrom for awhile now. They know how to exploit him and in his head. Its not like Calgary changed their goaltender this offseason. Not sure why they are confident that the next Markstrom faces us, that things will go better for them. I just think Flames fans/media are delusional about their chances.

Also last year the media/cbc acted like Gaudreau/Tkachuk was near McDavid/Draisaitl's ability. Gaudreau for hart. In the playoffs McDavid and Draisaitl proved that their "stars" are no where near our stars (even on one leg). Its just the facts. But once again they think their players are better than they are. And now that Gaudreau/Tkachuk (after being praised) have left Town, they act like they are a better team now.

I just have no idea why that fan base/media feels so confident in their team coming into this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: WaitingForUser

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
No, thats not what I meant. I dont think Edmonton winning was a fluke.

I just meant that Markstrom was terrible in that series. There are very few teams that would of won with that kind of goaltending (thats the part I partially agree with). I think Calgary fans think that Markstroms performance was bad luck (he had a bad week). But fact of the matter is, Edmonton has been scoring on will against Markstrom for awhile now. They know how to exploit him and in his head. Its not like Calgary changed their goaltender this offseason. Not sure why they are confident that the next Markstrom faces us, that things will go better for them. I just think Flames fans/media are delusional about their chances.

Also last year the media/cbc acted like Gaudreau/Tkachuk was near McDavid/Draisaitl's ability. In the playoffs McDavid and Draisaitl proved that their "stars" are no where near our stars. Its just the facts. But once again they think their players are better than they are. But now that Gaudreau/Tkachuk have left Town, they act like they are a better team now.

I just have no idea why that fan base/media feels so confident in their team coming into this season.
I mean, Mike Smith was horrible too after a strong close to the regular season so I don't really buy their goaltending excuse.

They're the most delusional fanbase in the league, even moreso than Leafs fans. They're acting like the playoffs last season never happened with how much boasting they're doing this offseason about "Edmonton sucks, we're awesome".

I've said this on the mains. It's little brother syndrome always putting up a hissy fit because they always play second fiddle to big brother. Even during the Decade of Darkness, they did squat in the playoffs. Their arrogance is coming from nothing and while I do admit that a portion of the Oilers fanbase comes off arrogant, at least it comes from the team actually accomplishing something in the last 3 decades even if it was just beating the Flames in one playoff series.

Reactions: FlameChampion

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Had to chuckle at Lombourdias going wild over Huberdeau's relatively routine neutral zone pass last night as well.

Kind of funny the dichotomy between Oiler media and Flame media. Oiler media is often highly critical of the players (never management, but that's another story) and the conversation is usually nuanced and detailed. In Calgary the media just pimps the team to no end and their dumb fans just nod and follow along.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I mean, Mike Smith was horrible too after a strong close to the regular season so I don't really buy their goaltending excuse.

They're the most delusional fanbase in the league, even moreso than Leafs fans. They're acting like the playoffs last season never happened with how much boasting they're doing this offseason about "Edmonton sucks, we're awesome".

I've said this on the mains. It's little brother syndrome always putting up a hissy fit because they always play second fiddle to big brother. Even during the Decade of Darkness, they did squat in the playoffs. Their arrogance is coming from nothing and while I do admit that a portion of the Oilers fanbase comes off arrogant, at least it comes from the team actually accomplishing something in the last 3 decades even if it was just beating the Flames in one playoff series.

Flame fans always walk around with the bravado of a perennial contender and take joy in pointing out that the Oilers haven't won anything. Yet when you ask for a list of Flame accomplishments simply not picking 1st overall at any point is literally all they can come up with.

The Oilers are their measuring stick and nothing else matters. It's why they get so perplexed when you simply ask them what on earth Flames fans have to possibly hang their hat on because looking at their team beyond the context of "LOL we never had a 1st overall pick!" is something they just never do.

The Flames could finish 10th for 5 straight years, but all would be ok in Flame land as long as the Oilers were in 11th.

Reactions: oilers'72

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Until either team wins a cup I think everyone should put their dicks away. This Flames vs Oilers escalation since last season has gotten completely out of control. To be honest I'm finding people on both sides to have become insufferable.
To each their own.

Personally, I'm thinking if you can't shit on your rival when you beat them in a best of 7 when can you do it?

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
To each their own.

Personally, I'm thinking if you can't shit on your rival when you beat them in a best of 7 when can you do it?
I'm not saying don't talk smack. But it's a new season. Last year is over. It doesn't mean anything anymore.

I just think it's overboard these days. Every thread whether it be here or the mains, is just people shit talking entire fanbases and insulting each other like they were a part of the actual games being played. It's ridiculous. People getting so triggered at the mere mention of the Flames. People unable to talk about rival teams and players without throwing shit around or talking them down because "our guys are better".

Maybe it was always like this and I just didn't notice. But this offseason has really made it hard for me to enjoy the forums, and I really like talking hockey here.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm not saying don't talk smack. But it's a new season. Last year is over. It doesn't mean anything anymore.

I just think it's overboard these days. Every thread whether it be here or the mains, is just people shit talking entire fanbases and insulting each other like they were a part of the actual games being played. It's ridiculous. People getting so triggered at the mere mention of the Flames. People unable to talk about rival teams and players without throwing shit around or talking them down because "our guys are better".

Maybe it was always like this and I just didn't notice. But this offseason has really made it hard for me to enjoy the forums, and I really like talking hockey here.
People are not getting "triggered" by the Flames we can't stop laughing at them. I like more triggered like that in my life. More laughter, less stress.

Most of the posts last night were lampooning the flames telecast, turd polishing, and zany unlicensed entertainment. Its just in fun in anycase. Hard to imagine somebody being triggered, or by it..

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

That's what happens with rivals. I don't see any harm in a fanbase shit talking the fanbase of the team that just lost to theirs in the playoffs and further, making fun of that fanbase for being delusional enough to shit talk the fanbase of the team that just beat theirs in the playoffs.
I think that laughing at little brother is warranted and I'd expect the same from them had their team (gulp) beaten the Oilers in the playoffs.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
People are not getting "triggered" by the Flames we can't stop laughing at them. I like more triggered like that in my life. More laughter, less stress.

Most of the posts last night were lampooning the flames telecast, turd polishing, and zany unlicensed entertainment. Its just in fun in anycase. Hard to imagine somebody being triggered, or by it..
There's been quite a few people angered by talk of the Flames on this board. Not last night in particular, but over the offseason absolutely.

Like acknowledging talented players on other teams is a bad thing simply because we're on the Oilers board. Obviously I get some people like to come in and troll, but I find it crazy how upset some people get when you do talk about other teams and their players.

I can't help but compare it to my friend and I. He's a die hard flames fan and I'm a die hard Oilers fan. We like to razz each other, but are also able to talk about each others teams in an unbiased fashion regarding players, prospects and coaching. On here, and this site in general, it seems like a huge amount of people are unable to. I dunno. It's probably just a me problem, and I'll keep it off of the forum from here on out. Just found it very hard to have any sort of neutral discussion on HF this offseason because everything is a giant pissing match.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
There's been quite a few people angered by talk of the Flames on this board. Not last night in particular, but over the offseason absolutely.

Like acknowledging talented players on other teams is a bad thing simply because we're on the Oilers board. Obviously I get some people like to come in and troll, but I find it crazy how upset some people get when you do talk about other teams and their players.

I can't help but compare it to my friend and I. He's a die hard flames fan and I'm a die hard Oilers fan. We like to razz each other, but are also able to talk about each others teams in an unbiased fashion regarding players, prospects and coaching. On here, and this site in general, it seems like a huge amount of people are unable to. I dunno. It's probably just a me problem, and I'll keep it off of the forum from here on out. Just found it very hard to have any sort of neutral discussion on HF this offseason because everything is a giant pissing match.
I don't see one poster here "angered" about it. Weird take. I see non stop ridiculing the Flames. That ain't anger.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
If we're to read anything into the lines, it would seem that Holloway is the odd man out for now and based on Holland's "Holloway is top 9 or bust" comments (which I agree with), I'm having a hard time seeing him on the team until one of the top 9 forwards are moved although I'm sure they could move Foegele to the 4th line I suppose.
Holloway has been better than Foegele and most have him slated to be on the third line.

McLeod will be on the third line most like but it could be Ryan as well or Janmark.

Someone of "value" will be sent to the minors. I dont know if it will happen but due to cap restraints and play to date in preseason my preference would be Foegele sent down. Due to cap I think it has to be one of Ryan, Foegele, or Janmark.

In short there are 2 spots available behind: McD, Kane, Yama, Drai, Hyman, Pulj, and RNH. I think Holloway will be one if he can keep pushing as he has been.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Pretty good breakdown about last night's Bakersfield Condors Flamers game: .

I keep advocating Studdy as an commentator for Oiler broadcast - valuable insight as an ex-pro depth player who takes listeners into the headspace. I enjoy this podcast mainly to hear his analysis along with the quirky personality.

I like Strudwick because he has winked at me thrice but also wears sexy pants

• Wow
Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I can't believe they even have pre-season games for betting. Even if you know the lineup you really don't know how much the good players are actually going to play.

Going to have to take a look myself and see if there are any other dumb odds going forward.

Usually the biggest mismatch are towards the end of the pre-season when you get the crossover of teams that have set their rosters and the teams that are giving their fringe players one more game/resting their stars 👍

or you have the home stars vs the away scrubs like last night or Florida vs Carolina tonight

Last edited:

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
So does Foegele get waived?
Usually the crash and bangers get a little bit of a pass in evaluation during preseason from the coaches.

You can injure yourself or others playing a game at high speed when you play with high physicality. Those players take it a little easier when the games don't matter.

However Foegele didn't do any of that last year. That's the Foegele from Carolina.

Some players are not self-motivators. I believe Foegele falls into that category.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
My friend from Calgary didn’t stop trash texting me until 2:00 am last night. He said the Red Mile was on fire and thousands of people were parading…

Really low standards down there then, I guess. To be fair, Flames fans will take whatever they can get. Their one blip Cup sandwiched between legendary franchises wins is all that keeps them from being a bottom tier Canadian team for success.

Would anyone outside of Calgary notice if the Flames got relocated tomorrow?

I couldn't resist going onto the CP forums and had some serious lol's

I just hope if we lose a BOA in the future I am able to wipe it from my memory that fast.

I’m sure you could write a whole new chapter in the DSM just by researching the “people” that post on CP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad