Post-Game Talk: Yaaaaawn

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I just went to James Taylor in Edmonton back in May. Wonderful singer songwriter. I’m trying to catch up,on musical acts that are putting on the 18th green that I’ve seen or want to see one more time before they head to the clubhouse the final time.

i leave for Arizona in 2 weeks and have tickets so far for:
-Hall and Oates in Laughlin Nevada (seen them in the 1980s)
-Gordon Lightfoot (seen him in 1976, the first or second act to play the new Northlands Coliseum
-ZZ Top, never seen them before and won’t be the same without Dusty Hill, but I’m guessing they will still play some great blues.
Saw Gordon Lightfoot twice, last time half a dozen years. Strong caution the man is really old and cannot sing. I mean he just can't so if you're going have that in mind. It was even at the Jube so acoustics weren't a problem. Even in conversation now he has trouble. Very raspy voice. Love the man but a minimum expectation putting on a show is that you can still sound even remotely like you did. Or at least to the point of recognizing song or lyrics.

Saw James Taylor too and he was fine. He wasn't vain. ;)

Hey @brentashton , @Ritchie Valens git a funny story for ya cause i threw in Ozzy

Years ago, at least 20 years I figure, Dr Hook played at a beer garden in my home town. They had the band catered for in the hockey dressing rooms. My uncle was bouncing it and had to go in dressing room to get Dr Hook. He was completely wasted. He didn’t even know what province he was in let alone town. My uncle had to take him to the stage. When he got up on stage and started, he never missed a note and sounded awesome. Something like Ozzy. I guess they gotta take the edge off

Seen ZZ Top at Shediac Rock Fest in 99. They were absolutely awesome. We were right beside stage in a private area with free food, free booze for Moosehead. We pulled off a scam to pull that one off. I’ll get ya that story in a bit. Funny as fuk
Sylvia's mother said....

What was with Rays eye. never really found out.

Y'all are getting mellow. heh

Try some Crosby Stills Nash on for size or Moody Blues. Saw both of those. Its not quite what you think it will be and you end up needing more caffeine than Alcohol.

Reactions: brentashton

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Saw Gordon Lightfoot twice, last time half a dozen years. Strong caution the man is really old and cannot sing. I mean he just can't so if you're going have that in mind. It was even at the Jube so acoustics weren't a problem. Even in conversation now he has trouble. Very raspy voice. Love the man but a minimum expectation putting on a show is that you can still sound even remotely like you did. Or at least to the point of recognizing song or lyrics.

Sylvia's mother said....

we’re Seeing Gord at Celebrity Theatre in south Phx. Only 2600 seats and in the round, all seats within 70 feet of the stage. Ya, when you’ve “died once already” and are in your 80s I can expect a limited vocal register. But he’s a national treasure. There’s a couple of songs I’d love to hear him sing that I know he doesn’t perform anymore, but I’m sure it will be an enjoyable night. And I don’t know what’s wrong with Ray’s eye, other than he might have had closeted desires to be a pirate at one time. ;)

Last edited:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

Sylvia's mother said....

Try some Crosby Stills Nash on for size or Moody Blues. Saw both of those. Its not quite what you think it will be and you end up needing more caffeine than Alcohol.
CSN no, CSNY ok.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

Sylvia's mother said....

Ever hear of JJ Cale? Big fan

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
1970s rock. Gotta love it!
70’s music , those artists who wrote those songs were writing stories from their minds to music. The good ones were unbelievable. I like those tunes they kinda combined 2 songs in one
Blinded by the light
10CC - Not in love
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
I know I’m leaving dandies but u know what I’m getting at

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
we’re Seeing Gord at Celebrity Theatre in south Phx. Only 2600 seats and in the round, all seats within 70 feet of the stage. Ya, when you’ve “died once already” and are in your 80s I can expect a limited vocal register. But he’s a national treasure. There’s a couple of songs I’d love to hear him sing that I know he doesn’t perform anymore, but I’m sure it will be an enjoyable night. And I don’t know what’s wrong with Ray’s eye, other than he might have had closeted desires to be a pirate at one time. ;)
For some reason this video really works for me. Whenever I hear the song now I see the video in my head..

So many great Lightfoot tunes. 70's were so great. I mean every week you were falling in love with new songs, albums.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
I didn’t put John Denver because he was flying that plane I believe that day. Same as Sonny Bono as well?
Regardless, Denver was a great musician and songwriter
Hey @brentashton , can u imagine John Denver and Jim Croce teaming up for a song if they were alive. Be a dandy I bet

Sonny Bono died from a skiing accident.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
My favourite Lightfoot tune

Sonny Bono died from a skiing accident.
Sorry, your right.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
For some reason this video really works for me. Whenever I hear the song now I see the video in my head..

So many great Lightfoot tunes. 70's were so great. I mean every week you were falling in love with new songs, albums.

My place in AZ is just off the Carefee Highway. I drive it 2-3 times a week in the winter. I must say when I drive it I often wonder what he was experiencing when doing the same.

I think we should start a new thread and ask everyone what their top 10 albums or songs if lost on a deserted island would be. There’s no wrong answers, just what are your “comfort” songs.

Yeah, listened plenty. Couple GF were heavy into him. Can't say he worked for me even though I like a lot of singer songwriters. I probably didn't listen to the right material or just didn't connect. Huge 10CC fan here. Manfred Mann sure hit his stride a few times. Classic act.
John Prine?

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Yeah, listened plenty. Couple GF were heavy into him. Can't say he worked for me even though I like a lot of singer songwriters. I probably didn't listen to the right material or just didn't connect. Huge 10CC fan here. Manfred Mann sure hit his stride a few times. Classic act.
They say JJ Cale is greatest musician who never made it big. When that BitTorrent site I downloaded as much music as I could. I got all his stuff . Great guitarist

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
My place in AZ is just off the Carefee Highway. I drive it 2-3 times a week in the winter. I must say when I drive it I often wonder what he was experiencing when doing the same.

I think we should start a new thread and ask everyone what their top 10 albums or songs if lost on a deserted island would be. There’s no wrong answers, just what are your “comfort” songs.

John Prine?
Sorry. Just don't connect with some subset of that genre. Maybe I need to be a guitarist to appreciate these. I never knew anybody too much into folk, just me and I did get into acts Like Joni Mitchell, but I probably missed much of this. Not a folkie. Even though guys like Donovan I quite liked, but he straddled genres.

Just saw that Bob Dylan liked Prine a lot. But he liked Warren Zevon too. The latter I love. Really tbh I never heard of Prine in the 70's. Big Clapton fan, Cream fan, Blues/Brit invasion, that kind of thing.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Starting to listen to 10CC more now. Few went to make Godley & Creme. The bands that came outta England in the 60’s were simply the best .

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
@brentashton
We did that album stuff when Covid started and we were locked in on FB
Everyday u did a favourite album for 10 days. When that was up, we then did a 10 worst one
It was actually really fun to do

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Starting to listen to 10CC more now. Few went to make Godley & Creme. The bands that came outta England in the 60’s were simply the best .
10CC just have the greatest lyric humor and the albums really play it up. Sometimes best to listen to cover to cover albums, how the songs integrate, and not as stand alones albeit plenty are great. Sheet Music still my favorite album of theirs. Something great was in the water in London and England in the 60's. What a tidal wave of music.

Reactions: Oilers in NS

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
10CC just have the greatest lyric humor and the albums really play it up. Sometimes best to listen to cover to cover albums, how the songs integrate, and not as stand alones albeit plenty are great. Sheet Music still my favorite album of theirs. Something great was in the water in London and England in the 60's. What a tidal wave of music.
I sit in my garage , when I’m not watching sports I’ll throw on the Amazon Music from my Firestick , suck back some cold ones and definitely have a left hander or 5 and listen to tunes like that . Always find some good tunes along the way. Screen is 9’ across and 5.1 system. It’s like a Camp that u don’t go to the woods for. It’s a disaster in here now because the mess from the hurricane but I like it. Having a big hockey pool here in 2 weeks. 20-25 guys usually. Good time and party. Oilers play Flames that night as well. Hopefully no more hurricanes

Attachments

• 75D5194A-1CB1-4417-A1C3-EEA15177409A.jpeg
    75D5194A-1CB1-4417-A1C3-EEA15177409A.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I am a massive Lightfoot fan, have seen him many times, won a ched contest years back and got a full cassette library of his albums. (yeah that long ago) and got to meet him backstage plus dinner for 4 at La Ronde.

My fav acts aside from Lightfoot are the Moody Blues, Jethro Tull and Crowded House.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad