Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

upload_2019-11-17_3-2-32.gif

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
Hopefully you are right. I am going to the game tonight! Stoked to see Makar live. Been watching hockey for 45 years now and he is already my favourite player of all time. Amazing personality to go with his elite skill set. All fans lucky to have him. Avalanche 5-4 in OT.

I don’t get to pat myself on the back very often at all when it comes to predicting scores (terrible at betting hockey), but nailed it for once!!!!

Very fun game to watch live. Refs should have blown the whistle for sure if they saw puck hitting Calverts head. Mackinnon incredible obviously. Makar is so good even when he doesn’t play lights out trying to make end to end rushes he still gets his points. Like other posters said why knock him when gets what looks like easy assists. So many players do that. He definitely has the potential for 100 points. I also really liked the play of Donskoi. No points but lots of chances and very strong checking and battling for the puck. I would also try keeping him with Mackinnon when Landy and Rantanan come back.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Truly great players will themselves to another level when the moment calls for it. We might be seeing the beginning of the next phase of MacK's evolution as a player. If he can do this without Landy and Rants by his side, god help the rest of the league when they come back.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
It's getting really hard to watch these games with these kind of refs being part of them. Really hard. Best league in the world but the officials are so awful. Can't even be happy although the Avs won. I'm steaming mad. Zadorov, Calvert, both within five games or so. The NHL needs to have a talk with their refs immediately.

Last edited:
Reactions: MacBradley

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Interesting watching the replay again. Didn’t notice until now that Mack was screaming at the ref as soon as the goal went in.

Good on EP for trying to do what he could. He spent a good 10-15 seconds trying to get the ref to kill the play. Something has to be done about this. Doesn’t matter which player, team or sport...it’s extremely dangerous to leave a player there while play continues. I mean in hockey people are skating on sharp blades with a frozen puck flying around.

kl35ha

Oct 19, 2017
Fell asleep somewhere at the start of the 3rd, just saw what happened to Calvert...man these refs...no whistle on Z injury now this bs! NHL really has the most horrible refs of any sports. The refs are definitely getting worst every single year.

Man another injury to an Avs player tho...don’t think we will ever have a full healthy roster again this season at this rate.

Wonder who we’re going to call up, hoping for Greer or maybe Kaut.

Reactions: MacBradley

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
This should generate discussion about the rule, but the refs did absolutely as they are supposed to.
Nope, the refs can blow the whistle if they think a player is seriously hurt. So they could have stopped the play but they chose not to. And when a player is lying on the ice bleeding from his head after being hit by a puck they focking should. No excuses to be made, that was poor judgement.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Really? I thought the rule was that it's up to the refs to blow it dead if they deem the injury serious. In that case the fault is absolutely on the refs.
It wasn't much different from any other situation where the play goes on. Calvert didn't seem to be in immediate danger or anything. Now, you could make the case that in situations like this (head area) they need to be quicker to blow it dead but with the current rules in place, they hardly made a mistake.

kl35ha

Oct 19, 2017
It wasn't much different from any other situation where the play goes on. Calvert didn't seem to be in immediate danger or anything. Now, you could make the case that in situations like this they need to be quicker to blow it dead but with the current rules in place, they hardly made a mistake.

When the other player on the opposite team want the refs to blow the whistle so the injury person can get some medical attention...that’s really is saying something there. NHL refs are incompetent AF.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Fun fact. We are the team with the most goals for in the Western Conference despite being without two 30+ goal scorers for quite some time now (Mikko missed his 11th, Landy his 9th straight).

That's damn impressive and another sign that Sakic did a lot of things right this off-season. And Bednar is doing a lot of things right right now - and so are Nate, Cale and all the other survivors currently trying to "not get hurt".

Last edited:

kl35ha

Oct 19, 2017
Sure they are. You do it.

Sure they aren’t...the most inconsistent bunch of refs that doesn’t even know the rules book. They are blow calls in other sports that are horrible but these guys just take it to another level.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Sure they aren’t...the most inconsistent bunch of refs that doesn’t even know the rules book. They are blow calls in other sports that are horrible but these guys just take it to another level.
And you're certain that even though the margin of error is consistently larger, this discussion doesn't need to involve the capacity limits of information processing. No, because if you did it, you'd do it better. It's about just doing it better if they wanted to.

kl35ha

Oct 19, 2017
And you're certain that even though the margin of error is consistently larger, this discussion doesn't need to involve the capacity limits of information processing. No, because if you did it, you'd do it better. It's about just doing it better if they wanted to.

Differ of opinions, let’s just leave it at that.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017

"Why don't you do it then" is one of the most idiotic responses to criticism out there. There no way to answer that, and someone shouldn't need to change their entire life just to have the right to be critical of something. It so dismissive of the person being critical. If you can't think of a better response to criticism than that, just shut your mouth and hope someone else comes up with a response for you.

Refs of all sports are bad in one way or another, but NHL refs are bad for very fixable reasons. Rather than their main focus being the rulebook, it's about game management. Imagine if their main focus was calling everything by the book, with a secondary emphasis on player safety. The fact that the Avs lead the league every year in both penalties taken and drawn is asinine. It's so predictable - if one team gets three powerplays you know the refs are just dying to find a reason to penalize the other team.

To go back to this particular case, the refs are so focused on managing the game and not being responsible for preventing a scoring chance, that they knowingly let an injured player lie on the ice unable to get help. They placed game management squarely ahead of player safety, and even above the rulebook, since bleeding from the head is by any definition a serious injury. And before anyone comes in and says the refs had no way of knowing he was bleeding from the head, in a sane league one of the officials would have skated over and checked on him to make sure he wasn't, I don't know, bleeding to death on the ice.

So in short, in this case, anyone with the basic motor skills necessary to be an NHL ref could have done a better job, because they could have blown a whistle.

Oh, and they could have waived off the icing when Myers clearly didn't try to catch up to the puck, but nobody cares about that botch.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015

You don't have to paint the Mona Lisa to know that crap thrown on a canvas isn't art.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
"Why don't you do it then" is one of the most idiotic responses to criticism out there. There no way to answer that, and someone shouldn't need to change their entire life just to have the right to be critical of something. It so dismissive of the person being critical. If you can't think of a better response to criticism than that, just shut your mouth and hope someone else comes up with a response for you.

Refs of all sports are bad in one way or another, but NHL refs are bad for very fixable reasons. Rather than their main focus being the rulebook, it's about game management. Imagine if their main focus was calling everything by the book, with a secondary emphasis on player safety. The fact that the Avs lead the league every year in both penalties taken and drawn is asinine. It's so predictable - if one team gets three powerplays you know the refs are just dying to find a reason to penalize the other team.

To go back to this particular case, the refs are so focused on managing the game and not being responsible for preventing a scoring chance, that they knowingly let an injured player lie on the ice unable to get help. They placed game management squarely ahead of player safety, and even above the rulebook, since bleeding from the head is by any definition a serious injury. And before anyone comes in and says the refs had no way of knowing he was bleeding from the head, in a sane league one of the officials would have skated over and checked on him to make sure he wasn't, I don't know, bleeding to death on the ice.

So in short, in this case, anyone with the basic motor skills necessary to be an NHL ref could have done a better job, because they could have blown a whistle.

Oh, and they could have waived off the icing when Myers clearly didn't try to catch up to the puck, but nobody cares about that botch.
Fine, I'll play. The referees are on skates, in the middle of a very fast paced pro sports competition on ice. They have to be out of the way of the play. At times they have to skate very fast to follow the play.

Meanwhile, they have to determine whether a dozen different infractions take place at any time between several players. Meanwhile, they've studied a very extensive rule book for the different things that may happen during a competition. This includes many things that barely ever happen.

However, many of these rules are also subject to their own interpretation of the situation. These interpretations may involve the location of a player on ice, or even the seriousness of an injury sustained. Such interpretation will have to be made while the other requirements also remain in place. But that's not all. There is also the question of game management, which factors in the league's views on things, as well as the teams on the ice. This also cannot be made without internal thought processes that affect calls.

Now, you'll see that my point about fans complaining about refs isn't actually "you do it", it's "they may not be able to do it". Oh yeah, is your work judged by thousands of biased people on the internet waiting to shout at you when you f*** up during this juggle act?

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Fine, I'll play. The referees are on skates, in the middle of a very fast paced pro sports competition on ice. They have to be out of the way of the play. At times they have to skate very fast to follow the play.

Meanwhile, they have to determine whether a dozen different infractions take place at any time between several players. Meanwhile, they've studied a very extensive rule book for the different things that may happen during a competition. This includes many things that barely ever happen.

However, many of these rules are also subject to their own interpretation of the situation. These interpretations may involve the location of a player on ice, or even the seriousness of an injury sustained. Such interpretation will have to be made while the other requirements also remain in place. But that's not all. There is also the question of game management, which factors in the league's views on things, as well as the teams on the ice. This also cannot be made without internal thought processes that affect calls.

Now, you'll see that my point about fans complaining about refs isn't actually "you do it", it's "they may not be able to do it".

Hm. I wasn't aware anyone was expecting the refs to be perfect. In fact, I think most fans are perfectly willing to accept that the refs can and will make mistakes from time to time. Where fans such as myself take issue is where there's a play that every single person watching can see, and the refs somehow miss it, or make the wrong decision about it. Calvert is one case of this. Even Petterson thought the play should be blown dead. I don't think anyone in the arena would have been shocked or overly upset had they blown the play dead, especially once they saw Calvert bleeding the from the head.

Basically, it seems like your position is if something is difficult, the people who do it should be above criticism.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Hm. I wasn't aware anyone was expecting the refs to be perfect. In fact, I think most fans are perfectly willing to accept that the refs can and will make mistakes from time to time. Where fans such as myself take issue is where there's a play that every single person watching can see, and the refs somehow miss it, or make the wrong decision about it. Calvert is one case of this. Even Petterson thought the play should be blown dead. I don't think anyone in the arena would have been shocked or overly upset had they blown the play dead, especially once they saw Calvert bleeding the from the head.

Basically, it seems like your position is if something is difficult, the people who do it should be above criticism.
Oh please. People whine about referees here during and after every game. And yeah, people wouldn't have been upset if the play was blown dead, but it's also not black and white that he should've just done it. First of all, he was looking at the play from where he was. Not on TV like we were. The referee was also doing the other things I mentioned at the same time. However, the referees didn't contradict ruling at any point. This situation on a surface level was not different from any other similar situation where the play isn't blown dead. The referee acted within his instructions and he did not make a mistake. How are they incompetent?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad