GDT: XX: Avalanche @ Canucks | 8 PM MT | November 16, 2019

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Oh please. People whine about referees here during and after every game. And yeah, people wouldn't have been upset if the play was blown dead, but it's also not black and white that he should've just done it. First of all, he was looking at the play from where he was. Not on TV like we were. The referee was also doing the other things I mentioned at the same time. However, the referees didn't contradict ruling at any point. This situation on a surface level was not different from any other similar situation where the play isn't blown dead. The referee acted within his instructions and he did not make a mistake. How are they incompetent?

There are two refs. The outside ref could have called the play dead. While I don't think incompetent is the right word for the Calvert play, it was certainly the wrong thing to do. I'd call the icing call incompetence though.

Reactions: MacBradley

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Cale Makar is the gift that just keeps on giving... the 2017 draft has become one of my favourites of all time :thumbu:

Yes, he is simply incredible right now, looking like generational talent and I don't know what to say about MacKinnon, my favorite player right now in the world. Colorado is a very fun team following right now but I am sure they will frustrate us many games. ;-)

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
There are two refs. The outside ref could have called the play dead. While I don't think incompetent is the right word for the Calvert play, it was certainly the wrong thing to do. I'd call the icing call incompetence though.
Yeah. I get that. But then this isn't a question of the refs. Clearly the refs are doing what they're told when they're even agreeing on it.

As far as icings, yeah those suck but don't questionable icings happen most nights. Again, they're subject to interpretation and with interpretation comes the added likelihood of a mistake. Mistakes, even by the refs are a part of what happens on the ice. And I know you're not arguing this in some outlandish way, there's common ground here, but I'm just thinking out loud.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Yeah. I get that. But then this isn't a question of the refs. Clearly the refs are doing what they're told when they're even agreeing on it.

As far as icings, yeah those suck but don't questionable icings happen most nights. Again, they're subject to interpretation and with interpretation comes the added likelihood of a mistake. Mistakes, even by the refs are a part of what happens on the ice. And I know you're not arguing this in some outlandish way, there's common ground here, but I'm just thinking out loud.

I have a far bigger issue with league policy and the rulebook than I do with the Refs on that play, but even given the rules and what they're told, I strongly believe they still should have blown the whistle.

As for icings, yes mistakes happen, but with less than 2 minutes left in the game mistakes are not as excusable.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Still don't think Makar and Mack are on the ice together enough 5v5.. Thought Bednar figured that out.

Hes still stuck on putting EJ and G out there with the top line more often than not. Don't care if it means moving Makar to the left.

Makar had more ice time (5v5) with MacKinnon than any other player....not forward...player.

Graves is going to set the record for penalties in a season.

Graves has less than half the penalty minutes of Zadorov, in more games played.

If Zads took as many penalties as Graves he’d be sat well into next month

To reiterate, Zads has over double the PIMs as Graves, in fewer games.

The best pk is the goalie and ours are career backups right now

Don't really think you can label a 22yo and a 25yo as career anything just yet.

Makar with another leech!

Not sure if joking, and I know this post was earlier in the game...but 3 of Makar's 4 assists tonight were primary. On the season, he has 15 of 22 points as primarys.

They don't need n excuse, NHL refs are not held accountable for anything.

Yes they are. Just very rarely publically.

That’s not on the Canucks, I wouldn’t want the Avs to stop playing in that situation. That is 100% on officiating crews that are not held responsible for their absolute incompetence

See above. Also, not blowing it dead is not incompetence. It was a judgement call, and given that there was no visible blood on the ice this time, it is understandable that they did not feel it was worth killing a scoring chance.

We can all thank Alex Kovalev for this rule. Everyone here remembers that series in 95

Very true:

Holygg **** boyos. Watcjied this game drubk at a bar on my phone. Ficking pumped!!!!

Wow. You impress me. That is what my sober texting looks like.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I feel like Hughes is what we all wish Girard was. So similar in the way they skate and defend but Hughes just has that extra gear to take over the offensive zone and create offense in a way that Girard couldn’t imagine.

real nice young defenseman. Vancouver has something going there.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I feel like Hughes is what we all wish Girard was. So similar in the way they skate and defend but Hughes just has that extra gear to take over the offensive zone and create offense in a way that Girard couldn’t imagine.

I'm quite happy with what Girard looks to be developing into. If we didn't have Makar and other offensively gifted d-men in the pipeline I'd be worried, I actually don't mind that Girard will likely end up not even being a powerplay guy when all is said and done. He can be the guy we all talk about being underrated when everyone is focusing on Makar/Byram etc..

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'm quite happy with what Girard looks to be developing into. If we didn't have Makar and other offensively gifted d-men in the pipeline I'd be worried, I actually don't mind that Girard will likely end up not even being a powerplay guy when all is said and done. He can be the guy we all talk about being underrated when everyone is focusing on Makar/Byram etc..
Oh I love Girard. We have a hell of a player on our hands. My post was more so just to pump Quinn Hughes.

Hornstar

Feb 3, 2018
It wasn't much different from any other situation where the play goes on. Calvert didn't seem to be in immediate danger or anything. Now, you could make the case that in situations like this (head area) they need to be quicker to blow it dead but with the current rules in place, they hardly made a mistake.
Not sure how you can argue they made the right call? When the opposing players are calling for a stoppage you damn well should do it

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008

Was thinking the same thing last night. Although, Girard looked more dynamic in his rookie year than he does now.

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
Bednar should instruct his goalies to dislodge the net if something like the Zadorov/Calvert situation happens again (assuming the NHL does nothing). Yeah it's a penalty, but it's worth taking in that case. Or take a penalty for having the medical staff come onto the ice during play.

kl35ha

Oct 19, 2017

Half of them for being bigger and stronger than opposing players. Z get so many bs calls. Don’t understand why Bedz like to play tough love with NHL players (he also did it with Makar) but is willing to let player like Graves get free passes and stay in the lineup as regular.

kl35ha

Oct 19, 2017
Bednar should instruct his goalies to dislodge the net if something like the Zadorov/Calvert situation happens again (assuming the NHL does nothing). Yeah it's a penalty, but it's worth taking in that case. Or take a penalty for having the medical staff come onto the ice during play.

It’s just funny that they are so quick to blow to whistle on very stupid little things but in situations like Z and Calvert they’ll just shallow the whistle. That’s what get me. The NHL can just give a five major or fine a player if it turn out that he’s faking it in this kind of situation.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Half of them for being bigger and stronger than opposing players. Z get so many bs calls. Don’t understand why Bedz like to play tough love with NHL players (he also did it with Makar) but is willing to let player like Graves get free passes and stay in the lineup as regular.
Not going to argue Z getting the big-man calls. But Bednar coaches each player in the way that he feels best matches their personality. Z apparently needs wake-up calls from time to time, and it works. And I am not sure what he has done wrong with Makar? He has improved quite a bit since the first games of the season...some of that has to be thanks to coaching, yes?

And for reference, this game, Graves had the exact same 5v5 Corsi stats as EJ, tied for 2nd best D on the team for CF%(rel) at 5.95%. Zads was the worst of the D at -21.95%. Z had fewer shot attempts for (5) than Graves (8), despite half-again as much ice time. Z also had way more shot attempts against (21) than Graves (13). For context, the only player on the team that was positive 5v5 Corsi tonight was Bura. And for scoring chances, Graves was -2, and Z was -10. Cole was -5, and the other 3 were positive.

And to be honest, given that he has taken 5 penalties in two games, Graves should sit. But his overall play has not been as bad as the peanut gallery would have us believe.

Last edited:
Reactions: klozge

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Graves - while a rollercoaster- doesn't freelance. Cole doesn't either. Nor does Barbie. They play within the system. What gets Z in trouble is abandoning his role and taking cheating penalties because of that. He plays a lackadaisical game at times, that's why he gets benched. All these theories about double standards are absolutely hilarious.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Makar had more ice time (5v5) with MacKinnon than any other player....not forward...player.

Graves has less than half the penalty minutes of Zadorov, in more games played.

Don't really think you can label a 22yo and a 25yo as career anything just yet.

Not sure if joking, and I know this post was earlier in the game...but 3 of Makar's 4 assists tonight were primary. On the season, he has 15 of 22 points as primarys.

Yes they are. Just very rarely publically.

See above. Also, not blowing it dead is not incompetence. It was a judgement call, and given that there was no visible blood on the ice this time, it is understandable that they did not feel it was worth killing a scoring chance.

Very true:

Wow. You impress me. That is what my sober texting looks like.

I was exaggerating obviously, when talking about the Graves penalties. Just acknowledging that he’s been a walking penalty the last two games.

Reactions: Tweaky

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I’m not really sure what’s going on here... but I like it.

upload_2019-11-17_11-6-28.gif

Matt Roberts

May 26, 2019
Interesting watching the replay again. Didn’t notice until now that Mack was screaming at the ref as soon as the goal went in.
EJ actually turned and yelled at him twice while the play was still going. That's actually what created the window for that goal. EJ was out of sorts because play continued, then started running around and they set up right behind him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad