GDT: XX: Avalanche @ Canucks | 8 PM MT | November 16, 2019

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I have a sin to confess. A horrible, horrible sin.

There was a brief moment in time when... when... I thought Nathan MacKinnon wasn’t a very good number one pick. That he was a ‘meh’ pick. I was not a true believer.

And after the 2016-2017 season I thought we would have been better off with a player like Auston Matthews. I’m not proud of it. It’s a black mark on my soul to this day.

I just want to say that I’m sorry, and I will repent as long as is necessary.
upload_2019-11-17_10-51-56.gif

Last edited:

Mitchgou

Nov 14, 2018
I really want to like Graves, he is big and the kid is from Yarmouth but those penalities have to stop, its

killing the team right now. Not sure what we should do about Cole though.

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017

There was a brief moment in time when... when... I thought Nathan MacKinnon wasn’t a very good number one pick. That he was a ‘meh’ pick. I was not a true believer.

And after the 2016-2017 season I thought we would have been better off with a player like Auston Matthews. I’m not proud of it. It’s a black mark on my soul to this day.

View attachment 278759

Meh. He's no Connor McDavid.

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013

View attachment 278759

I think you communicated something many of us here hate to admit we once believed, it being that MacKinnon was a waste of lottery win. It was understandable given how he played up to that point and how bad those teams looked. Once Duchene was traded it became clear it was MacKinnon’s team and he unleashed a whole new gear.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
I don’t think Compher has played a very good week of hockey, but MacKinnon doesn’t score his OT goal if he wasn’t conducting some sneaky interference on one of the Canucks players there in the neutral zone.

We're impressed because we rarely see this. But many teams do it on regular. Especially on the PP to open up temporary passing lanes.

Don't directly pick the guy but knock into him and drag your skate so it takes his stick out of the lane.

Reactions: MacBradley

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I really want to like Graves, he is big and the kid is from Yarmouth but those penalities have to stop, its

Graves is still very much a developing player in my eyes. Although he's having some weaker games these days I'm still extremely happy with the overall improvement compared to last season.
Cole showed what he is twice in OT against Calgary last playoffs. He's able to provide good, physical defense at times but he's not exactly a smart player. I don't think there's a lot one can do about it, though. He won't change and I don't see Sakic trading him this season.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Graves - while a rollercoaster- doesn't freelance. Cole doesn't either. Nor does Barbie. They play within the system. What gets Z in trouble is abandoning his role and taking cheating penalties because of that. He plays a lackadaisical game at times, that's why he gets benched. All these theories about double standards are absolutely hilarious.
I don't disagree about Zadorov, but I do about Graves. The guy absolutely is freelancing out there and he's now getting exposed for it badly. He needs to sit and watch for a game or two and recharge.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008

Cole has been trash, but I think he'll turn it around. He's obviously not up to full speed, and it seems clear he probably should've stuck closer to his December return time.

Reactions: MarkT

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
Cole has been trash, but I think he'll turn it around. He's obviously not up to full speed, and it seems clear he probably should've stuck closer to his December return time.

Maybe, but he actually looked good the first few games back... then he nose-dived. Is that stunted recovery because he came back to early and he aggravated something? I guess it's possible.

Reactions: shadow1

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Other players around the league reacting too...

Can you imagine how disorienting and probably painful that horn was to Calvert after being hit in the back of the head with a puck?

It's like somebody hitting you in the head with a bat, and then blowing an air horn in your ear. That's some Daffy Duck shit.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Has there been any statement from the league about this after all the uproar on Twitter? Even a "we stand by our refs" generic nonanswer? They have to at least address the situation after all the players and media types calling them out.

Reactions: MarkT and LTC Pain

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
They need to clarify the rule apparently. It says right there if they believe the injury to be serious then they can whistle the play dead regardless of who's in possession. If a guy bleeding out of his head doesn't count as a "serious" injury, I'm not sure what does. It's obvious the officials are spooked after the beating they took in last year's playoffs. It doesn't excuse it, but it does make it somewhat understandable.

Anyway, they won, and in OT! So that's nice.

Didn't like the defensive shell they went into that ultimately led to the blown lead. I get they were rattled, but I've seen it happen in other games this season (and previous seasons) and it's just not acceptable, especially after the team made considerable efforts to make themselves better defensively up front. They could've done a LOT more to get in passing lanes and force the Canucks players to make mistakes.

I noticed last season when the Avs played them that Markstrom looked a little weak on his catcher side. Last night Demko gave up a lot of goals on his blocker side. Not sure if that's just an off-night for either goalie or something more troubling. Either way, not my goalies, not my business, though I remember Demko from the WJC so I'd like to see him succeed in the NHL.

We saw MacKinnon in full rage mode actually channel that anger toward something useful. That's nice, as I recall when the Avs and Nucks met up either last season or the season beforehand, he got mad at Edler and tried hitting him, and ended up getting hurt and missing games. Either way, he does appear to have evolved and that's a good thing.

Hope to hell Calvert isn't seriously hurt. I am getting really, really tired of player after player going down every game.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I don’t understand the hesitation to blow the whistle. The penalty for the Nucks is to have an offensive zone faceoff. The penalty for the Avs for the whistle NOT being blown is to play a man down. One is not equal to the other.

What is a serious injury in their mind? Does it have to be “Malarchuk spilling blood like a garden hose”-level?

Reactions: MarkT and LTC Pain

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad