Speculation: XLIV - Nylander's Wednesday or Thursday Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Babcock wants to be a legend in Toronto, having Nylander in the line-up makes that dream more of a possibility.

Reactions: smitty10

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
He should listen to a REAL insider like Friedman rather than some guy like Dubas

That's huge news there (the tweet). That video is from today I assume? If so I think that's saying the deal is done to be honest and they are working out structure now which can take awhile.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I agree that Marner right now does not merit equality of circumstance with Kucherov. That being said, why isn't anyone talking about the fact that every star on that team appears to be paid a discounted amount due to the tax situation there? Everyone is hung up on 10MM as unprecedented and that Marner isn't worth it. I disagree. I think he is worth it...but the leafs can't afford it. That is why I think we are taking about a contract between a 3 year bridge or a 5 year deal to bring the cap hit in line. The leafs simply can't buy up UFA years
I think he could be worth it too. Which poses a huge problem unless Marner takes the discount route like with his ELC.

Probably impossible to implement, but there should be something in place where the player contract is signed with the league, and then the player is assigned to the team. That way there is no jurisdictional benefit to be had. It also prevents any loopholes from occurring.

Probably a logistical nightmare, but it is something that could be used to level the playing field.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
I think Dubas is okay with offering Nylander what he wants (6.9 x 6), he's just waiting this out and leaking trading block stuff to see if the Nylanders sweat a little and lower their ask.

Reactions: Goonface2k14

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
Facts and agendas, by person, IMHO…

Willy Nylander – to get the biggest payday possible. Not greedy, IMO, just doing his due diligence, with daddy and agent helping to run the show. I think he truly wants to stay with Toronto, but is following the process down to the wire to maximize his paycheck.

Kyle Dubas – to get Nylander back in the lineup this season, at the lowest cap hit possible. Dollars are precious considering Marner and Matthews are going to make more and need a contract for next season. He has already gone public stating that he will have all three back with the team, so his top priority remains to stick by his word. Might have some birthday cake later today if time permits.

Mike Babcock – to have the most stacked lineup as possible at his disposal. Seems to be adding Nylander into his media scrums more and more these past few days, maybe because he knows something, but more likely because he’s growing impatient with things and doesn’t want the deadline to pass and not have #29.

Michael Nylander – to get his son the biggest payday possible, and make sure he is happy with the outcome. As a former professional athlete, he knows the process. As a father, he for sure factors in his child’s happiness along with dollars into the equation.

Lewis Gross – to get his client the biggest payday possible, so he can cut the biggest commission cheque possible. Doesn’t want his client to regret a decision down the road, so he is representing him to the best of his ability and likely is taking a lot of direction from Michael.

Elliot Friedman – to get as many people as possible to listen to him, as with any other media personality. As a well recognized “insider”, he will be certain to separate opinion from fact before stating anything, but he knows full well that his opinion will generate buzz if it has any drama to it, like his latest opinion that this will be Willy’s last season in Toronto. He bases it on nothing more than what we’ve already known ever since the big three plus JT came into the fold, which is that cap dollars will be tight. So for me its just an opinion that he somewhat trolled out there because there was no news from actual sources, because it gets people talking about him.

Chris Johnston – to also get as many people to listen to him, and also considered a well recognized insider. Seems to be less opinionated than Friedman, and sticks to facts, like how he reported that the two sides were $500K apart last Saturday.

Bob MacKenzie – to remain as cautious as possible with anything he says. After all, he is the godfather of insiders for many people, so he takes the most caution in separating fact from opinion. Because of his strong reputation, doesn’t need to throw out click bait tweets or dramatic opinions, as that would just hurt his rep in the long run. Likely has zero insider information, as it seems like the Leafs are feeding their facts, few and far between, through the Friedman and Johnston.

Pierre LeBrun – also a very respected insider, who also wants the most people as possible to listen to him. Recently tweeted, likely based on a source from another NHL team, that the Leafs have again asked teams to provide their best offers as the process comes down to the wire.

Darren Dreger – again, another top “insider”, but often sounds like he has nothing but an opinion on the topic.

Brian Burke – former Leafs GM who seems like he is still hurt by his firing from MLSE. Has zero insider information, and likes to stir the pot with comments on things like offer sheets and being stubborn near the end of negotiations, because he has it in for the Leafs.

Marc Savard – respectable former player trying to make a name for himself in the media. Does radio for Leaf broadcasts with Gord Stellick on the FAN 590. Seems like he had some prior inside knowledge on coach firings (Yeo and McLellan), and doesn’t just randomly tweet things for attention, so his tweet that $6.9M likely gets Nylander in a Leafs uniform has some weight to it, IMO.

Berger/Blundell/Other rats on twitter – media outcasts throwing darts to try and get lucky with baseless announcements. Don’t pay any attention to these clowns, their reputations speak for themselves.

Am I missing anyone?

And with that said, I think the media is mostly in the dark because Dubas has run a tight ship. They’ve gone through the process with Willy down to the wire, and as Johnston/Friedman reported, are likely very close now. For me, the Lebrun tweet was not a huge surprise considering its November 29th. Just par for the course. The Leafs are trying to get Willy’s camp to feel some pressure to sign at their number. I’d be shocked if a trade actually went down at this point. Since they are so close on salary, and sitting out the season would be a big failure for both parties (reputation-wise and operationally), I think both sides will eventually meet in the middle on the $300K gap on deadline day, and until then, we’ll continue to hear nothing but speculation.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
So if:

Nylander signs for 6.5 x 6
Matthews signs for 11x8
Marner signs for 8x8

Is the strategy still bad ?

We haven't even seen the outcome of the "Bad Strategy" and you are already are throwing the management under the bus.

okay i can play the "if" game as well

if nylander doesn't sign for 6.5x6
matthews doesnt sign for 11x8
marner doesnt sign for 8x8

if willy sits out the entire season; if the value in return from a willy trade is sub-par

was is a "good strategy" by dubas and leafs management?

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
okay i can play the "if" game as well

if nylander doesn't sign for 6.5x6
matthews doesnt sign for 11x8
marner doesnt sign for 8x8

if willy sits out the entire season; if the value in return from a willy trade is sub-par

was is a "good strategy" by dubas and leafs management?

Good strategy is indicated by future results not current contracts.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
For Babcock to say "we talk every day" then "he will be here, be a career leaf." Bold statement to make...except not really when he and Dubas talk every day.

Reactions: freshwind

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
There are different bonus pools. The ones he was referring to were B bonuses

so friedman was wrong? I thought so but this was the first article that popped up. I knew Marner and Nylander got the basic bonuses but the ones Matthews got that "lou never gives out" I wasn't sure on.

One note on Marner contract: he gets the "A" bonuses. Lou Lamoriello historically does not believe in them (see Adam Larsson), but…
— Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC) July 28, 2015

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Facts and agendas, by person, IMHO…

Willy Nylander – to get the biggest payday possible. Not greedy, IMO, just doing his due diligence, with daddy and agent helping to run the show. I think he truly wants to stay with Toronto, but is following the process down to the wire to maximize his paycheck.

Kyle Dubas – to get Nylander back in the lineup this season, at the lowest cap hit possible. Dollars are precious considering Marner and Matthews are going to make more and need a contract for next season. He has already gone public stating that he will have all three back with the team, so his top priority remains to stick by his word. Might have some birthday cake later today if time permits.

Mike Babcock – to have the most stacked lineup as possible at his disposal. Seems to be adding Nylander into his media scrums more and more these past few days, maybe because he knows something, but more likely because he’s growing impatient with things and doesn’t want the deadline to pass and not have #29.

Michael Nylander – to get his son the biggest payday possible, and make sure he is happy with the outcome. As a former professional athlete, he knows the process. As a father, he for sure factors in his child’s happiness along with dollars into the equation.

Lewis Gross – to get his client the biggest payday possible, so he can cut the biggest commission cheque possible. Doesn’t want his client to regret a decision down the road, so he is representing him to the best of his ability and likely is taking a lot of direction from Michael.

Elliot Friedman – to get as many people as possible to listen to him, as with any other media personality. As a well recognized “insider”, he will be certain to separate opinion from fact before stating anything, but he knows full well that his opinion will generate buzz if it has any drama to it, like his latest opinion that this will be Willy’s last season in Toronto. He bases it on nothing more than what we’ve already known ever since the big three plus JT came into the fold, which is that cap dollars will be tight. So for me its just an opinion that he somewhat trolled out there because there was no news from actual sources, because it gets people talking about him.

Chris Johnston – to also get as many people to listen to him, and also considered a well recognized insider. Seems to be less opinionated than Friedman, and sticks to facts, like how he reported that the two sides were $500K apart last Saturday.

Bob MacKenzie – to remain as cautious as possible with anything he says. After all, he is the godfather of insiders for many people, so he takes the most caution in separating fact from opinion. Because of his strong reputation, doesn’t need to throw out click bait tweets or dramatic opinions, as that would just hurt his rep in the long run. Likely has zero insider information, as it seems like the Leafs are feeding their facts, few and far between, through the Friedman and Johnston.

Pierre LeBrun – also a very respected insider, who also wants the most people as possible to listen to him. Recently tweeted, likely based on a source from another NHL team, that the Leafs have again asked teams to provide their best offers as the process comes down to the wire.

Darren Dreger – again, another top “insider”, but often sounds like he has nothing but an opinion on the topic.

Brian Burke – former Leafs GM who seems like he is still hurt by his firing from MLSE. Has zero insider information, and likes to stir the pot with comments on things like offer sheets and being stubborn near the end of negotiations, because he has it in for the Leafs.

Marc Savard – respectable former player trying to make a name for himself in the media. Does radio for Leaf broadcasts with Gord Stellick on the FAN 590. Seems like he had some prior inside knowledge on coach firings (Yeo and McLellan), and doesn’t just randomly tweet things for attention, so his tweet that $6.9M likely gets Nylander in a Leafs uniform has some weight to it, IMO.

Berger/Blundell/Other rats on twitter – media outcasts throwing darts to try and get lucky with baseless announcements. Don’t pay any attention to these clowns, their reputations speak for themselves.

Am I missing anyone?

And with that said, I think the media is mostly in the dark because Dubas has run a tight ship. They’ve gone through the process with Willy down to the wire, and as Johnston/Friedman reported, are likely very close now. For me, the Lebrun tweet was not a huge surprise considering its November 29th. Just par for the course. The Leafs are trying to get Willy’s camp to feel some pressure to sign at their number. I’d be shocked if a trade actually went down at this point. Since they are so close on salary, and sitting out the season would be a big failure for both parties (reputation-wise and operationally), I think both sides will eventually meet in the middle on the $300K gap on deadline day, and until then, we’ll continue to hear nothing but speculation.

This is a very good post.

Something unfortunately that’s fairly uncommon in this thread.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
It's not? What is optimal if it's not being tied for #1 overall and having the 3rd most cap space available as of today?

You can only be so proactive as a manager in this league as it takes the player and agent wanting to get a deal done to get something done. Marner would have been an idiot to sign anything before playing the season with Tavares. Just like Matthews would have been before playing out his ELC with that insulation behind him.

any plan has to involve foresight; one cannot just look at this year and claim that it is good management yielding optimal result and that this optimal result is sustainable for the foreseeable future because it is cetris paribus moving forward;

which is not true

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
any plan has to involve foresight; one cannot just look at this year and claim that it is good management yielding optimal result and that this optimal result is sustainable for the foreseeable future because it is cetris paribus moving forward;

which is not true

If we win the Cup it's absolutely true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad