Player Discussion Xavier Ouellet: The X-Man

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
By Julien publicly praising Schlemko, you'd think he has a spot. But, Julien was also praising Ward, and management thankfully cut him. Maybe they'll do the same with Schlemko, Benn, Alzner, and Plekanec.

I'd rather see all of those guys on the team this year. The youth should be protected and be allowed to dominate at lower levels.

However, Bergevin likes to rush players, so it probably won't happen.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I'd rather see all of those guys on the team this year. The youth should be protected and be allowed to dominate at lower levels.

However, Bergevin likes to rush players, so it probably won't happen.

Every teams like to rush player. That's how the Pens and the Hawks created their dynasty. The Bruins too. They graduated kids at 22 and under. If a kid must play in the AHL up until he is 23 then he is more than likely not a very good player. There's exceptions but dominating players on average graduate before they turn 23. Mete has one NHL season of experience. Juulsen has one AHL season of experience. If they are better than the guys in place they should stay.

Reactions: Riddum

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I have
Mete- Juulsen as a pair of the future so play them together n0w to build chemistry
Ouellet/Reilly - Petry
Alzner-Shlemko

One of Ouellet/Reilly is the spare. Benn gets waived

When Weber comes back Shlemko is the odd man out barring injury

The Habs goal for this season might be different vs what we want. I would try Mete with Juulsen as well but I think they will prefer not to plan two young D man playing together. Two guys who have not played a full season in the NHL yet. I would like to see it but would be surprised if they try it this soon.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Every teams like to rush player. That's how the Pens and the Hawks created their dynasty. The Bruins too. They graduated kids at 22 and under. If a kid must play in the AHL up until he is 23 then he is more than likely not a very good player. There's exceptions but dominating players on average graduate before they turn 23. Mete has one NHL season of experience. Juulsen has one AHL season of experience. If they are better than the guys in place they should stay.

The plan should be to do whatever we can to get another top 5 lottery win shot. I don't see the Habs doing this. And I'm not sure if Mete and/or Juulsen is best in the NHL or AHL. I don't think their development is hurt in either case. So whatever supports another tank year. I want a shot at Hughes or one of the other talent in that top 5 or top 10

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
so you'd rather Benn, Schlemko, or Alzner play with Weber and Petry than Mete and Reilly?

I did say, at first, that I would have anyone over Benn and Schlemko. Still, they're not good enough to be first pairing... but they would be good complimentary pieces next to Weber like how Mete played well on his side last year.

Let me say it in another way. Emelin can play next to Subban or Weber but he's no first pairing

Jul 6, 2016
The plan should be to do whatever we can to get another top 5 lottery win shot. I don't see the Habs doing this. And I'm not sure if Mete and/or Juulsen is best in the NHL or AHL. I don't think their development is hurt in either case. So whatever supports another tank year. I want a shot at Hughes or one of the other talent in that top 5 or top 10

Sorry. Habs won't tank.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
The Habs goal for this season might be different vs what we want. I would try Mete with Juulsen as well but I think they will prefer not to plan two young D man playing together. Two guys who have not played a full season in the NHL yet. I would like to see it but would be surprised if they try it this soon.

except this is what they have done all camp and most likely will do when camp breaks.
what have become so obvious on this board is the lack of real insight, people just keep repeating the same stuff even if it is not fact fact show us.
Yes management sucked in the past, but i repeat many moves have been made to the coaching staff and top new progressives minds are in, so dont expect business as usual.

Last edited:
Reactions: a55p2

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
except this is what they have done all camp and most likely will do when camp breaks.
what have become so obvious on this board is the lack of real insight, people just keep repeating the same stuff even if it is not fact fact show us.
Yes management sucked in the past, but i repeat many moves have been made to the coaching staff and top new progressives minds are in, so dont expect business as usual.

I actually expect some rebound.. possibly a wild card spot at best. But it’s looking like a 10-15 range pick in the next draft. I know they will be fighting for the playoffs but I prefer another tank year.

I want a cup, not a cup pretender. Need to tank and get more top talent. Middle of the pack strategy is stupid

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I actually expect some rebound.. possibly a wild card spot at best. But it’s looking like a 10-15 range pick in the next draft. I know they will be fighting for the playoffs but I prefer another tank year.

I want a cup, not a cup pretender. Need to tank and get more top talent. Middle of the pack strategy is stupid

I agree and been saying it non stop this team will be better then people think, they will challenge for a spot, and whether they make it or nor depends on health of the team and health of opposing teams.

As for building a contender, i wish we get a gm like masai ujiri or the raptors, top seed and conferance finals not enough, he said his job is to build a championship winner.... What a difference from Mb who wants to build a team that makes the playoffs, then maybe we get hot or lucky...

Jul 6, 2016
MB is always trying to win...................all the while making decisions that have brought us to the lottery picks...hard to believe money Molson wont fire him...................no instead, let's allow this moron to fix his own mess???

That is why a President of Hockey Operations like Shanahan in TO should had been hired to do a cleanup. First to fire MB and get some more forward thinking guys in place like Julien BriseBois as GM.

Molson missed the boat (the one on his Molson Ex beer bottles) big time.

Reactions: BLONG7

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree and been saying it non stop this team will be better then people think, they will challenge for a spot, and whether they make it or nor depends on health of the team and health of opposing teams.

As for building a contender, i wish we get a gm like masai ujiri or the raptors, top seed and conferance finals not enough, he said his job is to build a championship winner.... What a difference from Mb who wants to build a team that makes the playoffs, then maybe we get hot or lucky...

I agree with you we have an outside shot at a wild card spot. We are in a minority on this one though. I would be annoyed to the highest level if we get a wild card spot and lose to the Leafs in the first round though!

Habs are in dangerous territory with a middle of the pack strategy in my opinion. I expect some rebound and it concerns me. Some fans just can't handle a bottom 5 finish several years in a row but it's the best direction we can take at this point. I don't care about Price and Weber's feelings to be honest.

I am on the fence about our short 2 or 3 year window to win a cup for when Kotkanimei, Suzuki, Poehling, Brook, Ylonen, etc are ready to make an impact in 2 years and prior to Price turning 35 and Weber turning 37. I think the best situation for us is to tank for another 2 years and entertain the idea of trading Weber and Price for solid futures to accelerate the rebuild. Imagine getting top 5 picks in each of the next draft and what we could get for Price and Weber? Add Petry to that mix as well.

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
That is why a President of Hockey Operations like Shanahan in TO should had been hired to do a cleanup. First to fire MB and get some more forward thinking guys in place like Julien BriseBois as GM.

Molson missed the boat (the one on his Molson Ex beer bottles) big time.
The could, even right now, hire a hockey president, to fit in between Molson and MB.............and make MB's leash short, very short. We need a hockey mind in control, and it can't be one of molson or Bergevin as we have seen what has happend.

Jul 6, 2016
The could, even right now, hire a hockey president, to fit in between Molson and MB.............and make MB's leash short, very short. We need a hockey mind in control, and it can't be one of molson or Bergevin as we have seen what has happend.

Molson wants to keep that positon himself for some reasons I don't understand. Is he keeping MB for $$$ reasons...huge contract with another 4 years to go ? Is he that naive and short-sighted ?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Molson wants to keep that positon himself for some reasons I don't understand. Is he keeping MB for $$$ reasons...huge contract with another 4 years to go ? Is he that naive and short-sighted ?
Short sighted for sure...he nor MB have the ability to look ahead...totally different results if they had.

New blood, new brains so to speak needed, badly.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Mete and Juulsen need to play in the NHL this year imo. They're currently capable of doing it but not quite good enough to be difference makers on a consistent basis. We'll still finish bottom 5 with or without them.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Mete and Juulsen need to play in the NHL this year imo. They're currently capable of doing it but not quite good enough to be difference makers on a consistent basis. We'll still finish bottom 5 with or without them.

Personally, I have no problem with Mete and Juulsen on our NHL roster and even playing as a pair. They get to learn on the job and improve as the season goes along while we stand to get another top 5 pick with some of the mistakes they might make. Same as Scherbak in our top 6 and PP time.

Last year was a disaster but a blessing in disguise. We ended up with Kotkaniemi and a very good early 2nd round pick in Ylonen. Add the other 2nd round picks (Romanov and Olofsson) and we inserted some very good talent in our prospect pool. We needed it!

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
People are getting fooled by this pre season.

It was fun watching the young guys, but wait till we face real NHL teams with real NHL superstars. And Price still has to prove that he is back and that he can remain healthy. In the last 3 years look how many games he missed, and he has put up a .915% and 2.5+ GAA. Far cry from the number he put up in 2014/15.

This team was bottom 5 last year, and we lost Max and AG. Yes the team seems more fun this year but reality is going to set in soon.

After this brutal first month of the schedule wild card and middle of the pack will be mirages.

Reactions: BLONG7

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
ego brother ego...

Jul 6, 2016

It was fun watching the young guys, but wait till we face real NHL teams with real NHL superstars. And Price still has to prove that he is back and that he can remain healthy. In the last 3 years look how many games he missed, and he has put up a .915% and 2.5+ GAA. Far cry from the number he put up in 2014/15.

This team was bottom 5 last year, and we lost Max and AG. Yes the team seems more fun this year but reality is going to set in soon.

After this brutal first month of the schedule wild card and middle of the pack will be mirages.

Or... They could do very well... but will phase out at Christmas time and free fall to the bottom of the standings. Mainly because lack of size and skills. these little forwards might have big hearts, but they gonna get out of energy down the road.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Or... They could do very well... but will phase out at Christmas time and free fall to the bottom of the standings. Mainly because lack of size and skills. these little forwards might have big hearts, but they gonna get out of energy down the road.

The first month is going to be tough. Its big hitters, we get a small reprive with I think Det and Ottawa, but aside from that its team after team.

Either way I think this fun little pre season has lead people to overestimate the team. When we hit real NHL rosters were going to get squeezed out like you said.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

More than likely going to happen...........we will not be able to score goals...we just wont and people will blame Price for not getting it done...

Reactions: scrubadam

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad