Player Discussion Xavier Ouellet: The X-Man

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I really hope a team is desperate after camp and they come calling for a Benn or Schelmko
Bergevin needs to move one of the 2 ASAP

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Reilly - Petry
Mete - Juulsen
Alzner - Schlemko
Valiev

If things get tough for the kids, flip Mete and Alzner

When Weber is back

Reilly - Weber
Mete - Petry
Alzner - Juulsen
Schlemko

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
So do you see Reilly and Quellet not making the roster? Or do they make it as spares? Where do they fit with you
Yeah, but since we're rebuilding I would give them the opportunity to see what they can do playing regularly at the NHL level - can they attain a level of consistency. But Julien will go with Schlemko, Benn, and Alzner anyways.

Both Reilly and Ouellet would have the opportunity to play regularly on this team but they're still bottom pairing Ds at this point. Sad to say but Ouellet has a nice name. Media and fans may like him more. They can also play on the PP something most of the other Ds can't do much. I like Mete's skating ability but I've yet to see more from this kid, I would probably send him to the AHL to work under Bouchard and see if he can learn a few things or get better at others (shooting or play as a QB on the PP)

Anyhow, my point is just that you can't make them play on the first pairing with Weber only because they've had some good pre-season games. Consistency is the key, once the season starts and stretches on, it's hard for players, who are playing above their level so they can impress in pre-season, to keep their good form for 80 games. I've seen enough young players that couldn't keep up (in previous Habs rosters).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Both Reilly and Ouellet would have the opportunity to play regularly on this team but they're still bottom pairing Ds at this point. Sad to say but Ouellet has a nice name. Media and fans may like him more. They can also play on the PP something most of the other Ds can't do much. I like Mete's skating ability but I've yet to see more from this kid, I would probably send him to the AHL to work under Bouchard and see if he can learn a few things or get better at others (shooting or play as a QB on the PP)

Anyhow, my point is just that you can't make them play on the first pairing with Weber only because they've had some good pre-season games. Consistency is the key, once the season starts and stretches on, it's hard for players, who are playing above their level so they can impress in pre-season, to keep their good form for 80 games. I've seen enough young players that couldn't keep up (in previous Habs rosters).

Well, if they play some good pre-season games, don't they get a chance? Isn't that how pre-season works? Were limited with options on D so why not try it

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
He had a good game but I'm still not sold on him long term. I think he's another Barberio (and I feel Barberio was better as a player). He might get hot for a bit playing for his local team like Chaput is currently doing but at the end of the day, these guys are bubble guys and were let go from terrible teams. I will double down on this and say this is no Vegas hidden gem type of situations.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He had a good game but I'm still not sold on him long term. I think he's another Barberio (and I feel Barberio was better as a player). He might get hot for a bit playing for his local team like Chaput is currently doing but at the end of the day, these guys are bubble guys and were let go from terrible teams. I will double down on this and say this is no Vegas hidden gem type of situations.

Correct. If he was a Vegas hidden gem, Vegas would of taken him. He is just a depth D but I like this skills. Kind of like a Beaulieu. He can skate good, has decent vision, and a good shot that gets to the net. What would your rather? Benn, Schlemko, or Alzner types?

If Mete gets sent to the AHL, Quellet is a decent guy to pair with Weber IMO. Am I saying it's a perfect fit? No

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Ouellet is better than Barberio.

More cerebral.
I find it the opposite, Barberio could process the game better and handle the speed of the NHL better. This is only pre-season but an article on The Athletic showed pretty well that Ouellet is prone to brain farts which is not good with his sub-par skating.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Ouellet is better than Barberio.

More cerebral.

Which really isn't saying much. I'm waiting for the intensity to increase in these next two games and want two of these guys to stand out.
There are better options with the Euros IMO. It also seems we want a player able to play both sides.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Anyway I feel bad for Weber if we put Ouellet on his pairing. Even Subban never had to play with so many fringe guys. It's hard to make the Subban trade look slightly better when we don't put Weber in a position to succeed. This is the equivalent of all the fringe guys we used to put on Saku's wing because he could make them look decent.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Anyway I feel bad for Weber if we put Ouellet on his pairing. Even Subban never had to play with so many fringe guys. It's hard to make the Subban trade look slightly better when we don't put Weber in a position to succeed. This is the equivalent of all the fringe guys we used to put on Saku's wing because he could make them look decent.

How much different is Quellet vs Beaulieu? Subban did play with Beaulieu at times... without success. I see no harm with trying Quellet with Weber cause the options on LD are not good. It's the same as trying Drouin and Domi at center.

We are not cup contenders or a legit playoff team. What's the problem with experimenting? We got Kotkaniemi from last years experimentation

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
How much different is Quellet vs Beaulieu? Subban did play with Beaulieu at times... without success. I see no harm with trying Quellet with Weber cause the options on LD are not good. It's the same as trying Drouin and Domi at center.
It may be because I'm biased in favor of the players I am familiar with but Beaulieu has always been the better prospect, AHL player and NHL player (if his stock took a huge hit in the last year). Ouellet played close to 18 mins two years ago and only produced 12 pts in 66 games. Beaulieu had 28 in 76 GP with barely any PP time.

Beaulieu is the better skater and the better player (when we tried the experiment Beaulieu was 23). Xavier is already 25. I don't think think you can compare the two, people talk a lot of smack about Beaulieu but it was a good move to try him beside Weber and it made sense.

NHL

Sep 1, 2014
I say Benn get claimed somewhere like Chicago or L.A.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It may be because I'm biased in favor of the players I am familiar with but Beaulieu has always been the better prospect, AHL player and NHL player (if his stock took a huge hit in the last year). Ouellet played close to 18 mins two years ago and only produced 12 pts in 66 games. Beaulieu had 28 in 76 GP with barely any PP time.

Beaulieu is the better skater and the better player (when we tried the experiment Beaulieu was 23). Xavier is already 25. I don't think think you can compare the two, people talk a lot of smack about Beaulieu but it was a good move to try him beside Weber and it made sense.

Fair break down between Beaulieu and Quellet. Personally, I have no problem with sending Mete down to the AHL to work on development and Quellet with Weber once he is healthy. When we are not cup contenders or a legit playoff team, nothing wrong with trying a few options and I'm pretty sure they will.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Please tell me you spell "Quellet" this way voluntarily.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

so you'd rather Benn, Schlemko, or Alzner play with Weber and Petry than Mete and Reilly?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Ideally, Mete and Juulsen should go back to the AHL and be given the opportunity to dominate.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
so you'd rather Benn, Schlemko, or Alzner play with Weber and Petry than Mete and Reilly?

Benn and Schlemko should not be in the long-term plans for this team, so it doesn't matter if they're exposed in the short-term.

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Benn and Schlemko should not be in the long-term plans for this team, so it doesn't matter if they're exposed in the short-term.

By Julien publicly praising Schlemko, you'd think he has a spot. But, Julien was also praising Ward, and management thankfully cut him. Maybe they'll do the same with Schlemko, Benn, Alzner, and Plekanec.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad