Player Discussion Xavier Ouellet: The X-Man

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
I don't live in Montreal anymore, but is he getting a lot of attention from the local media?

If so then that's a good reason to keep him on the team over other potential 6th dmen.

Why should he......6-7-8 D men dont usually get a lot of attention

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Was he joining the attack on the beginning of the year?
I say that because I only started to notice, since being paired with Mete, how often he joins the rush.
Before, I just noticed a steady safe defensive with average skating, making the most of his abilities.
Lately, it's been different. Still, there aren't results on the score sheet, but he created some offensive chances.
Anyone knows if Ducharme had coached him in junior. I wondered if they might be re-creating how he used to play in juniors, on the offensive side of the puck.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Yeah he's kinda been under the radar all year but I'm liking his game a lot. Very good guy on that bottom pair.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
What a great suprise. He’s been really solid and adding some offence. Not at all the Xman we saw in preseason. Bet Detroit wishes they didn’t buy him out now.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Yeah. Sure he's going more to the offense, but he caused 2 turnovers, 1 being a goal against..
I hope it doesn't scare him too much though... because if he starts producing, then it will be great.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
“I signed the contract (27/05/2019) for the challenge. The same thing than last year. I saw and I see the opportunity in Montreal. They gave me the opportunity last year. It was good... I had a great season in general... A beautiful opportunity. Just to be part of the organization in general... Especially the organization of the Canadiens... It'll be a competitive team. We'll possess a great team. In Montreal, it'll be very competitive. In Laval also... When you play for Laval it's the American Hockey League tho... Many young defenseman. Many young prospect who're coming. I'm happy to be at home... I'm happy for the challenge who's in front of me. Very excited to have another year with this organization... I've a big competition. It's something that excites me... A challenge that I'm eager to accomplish... It's something that I like. We play to win. We play to reach the playoffs. Whether it's Montreal or Laval...”

“Once again, me and my agent are looking for an opportunity like being able to establish myself in the NHL. Yes it doesn't change... I was clear with the organization that my goal was to find a way to establish myself in the National Hockey League at 100%. That's what I get into my mind in this summer. I told my agent, I told everyone, my goal is to return in the National Hockey League... So, I was sure everyone knows it.”

Reactions: DAChampion

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
“It was a pretty crazy season for me... Lots of emotion. It was a really emotional season. I lost my mother to cancer in February 2019. I'm really happy with the time I had in Montreal... I had a great experience last year (2018/ 2019). I mean, I had a pretty good season. That's something want to capitalize on and take my chance next season. That's what I see for the future. I see an opportunity in Montreal... My goal is the same, it's to be in the NHL... So I just feel like I can help this team and help this organization be better... And that's what I want to do...”

“Named captain of the Habs' AHL affiliate? It meant a lot... It's a big confidence boost. I think it says a lot about the person and the player that I’m. I took that job with a lot of pride... And I'll use that to build for next year. To build through the offseason, train, and get ready for next year and come into camp with a lot of confidence and ready to go...”

“I'm trying to make it clear to everyone that my goal is to get back in the NHL. So the team knows that's the mindset I’ve. It's just going to be about the way I play... If I can make an impact and make the team in Montreal, they'll do what they’ve to do but my part is just to be ready."

“My offseason regimen changes every year... I want to get a little quicker. I want to get a little faster. So that’s the whole emphasis and challenge for the summer... I'll be skating a little more and I’ve access to the ice rink. So I can just skate as much as I want...”

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
The Habs aren't going to make the playoffs. Why call up Laval's captain when they are in a playoff push? Good for Ouellet but I don't like this move for the organization as a whole.

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Did his job well as emergency #6D. You want your third pairing Dmen to go unnoticed all game and quietly log the minutes without exposing the team.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
That's why you sign those guys. To be a leader on your AHL team and a #9-10 defenceman on your depth chart who can fill in for some games and not look out of place. He had a stretch of good games last year as well.

Reactions: Walrus26

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

No surprise here. He wants to sign with Montreal and play in Montreal. A red flag would go up if he wanted to sign with Montreal and play in Laval.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017

“It's a huge honor to be the Laval Rocket captain for sure. Happy and we've a good challenge this year. It's all good. In general, I see this role as a teamwork. It'll be the job of all the veterans together to take this leadership and to show the way to the youngers. I think that we've a good group of veterans who've a lot of experience. It's up to us to work together as a unit.”

“I've been captain in junior with the Armada. I always had this personality to work hard. It's something natural, I'm just trying to be myself.”

“I had Bouchard in junior. I worked with him a lot when I was younger. We're back together in our professional path. I've a lot of respect towards him as a coach and as a person. When it's time to work and hockey he's a someone who's in a business mode. The personal life has nothing to do in the professional life. By knowing him you know that he's someone very passionated and that he works extremely hard. He spends a lot of time in the little details.”

“My goal is to find my way back to the NHL. Becoming a captain is something that came with my personality. I doesn't change anything at the way I'm as a player. It's a little bonus. I always wanted to work hard and to show the way to the young players. That's my role.”

“Exactly, that's the main goal in each year to participate to the playoffs (AHL). You don't have always the elements to succeed tho. But I think that year we've everything we need. We've no excuses. We've good veterans, skills, work ethic. Put this all together and let's work as a team in order to realize this objective.”

“It's very hard. The AHL is a league that's very competitive. All the players their goal is to play in the NHL. There's a lot of movement of players (recalled, traded, assigned, etc). It's a long season. A lot of travel and games. But we're doing the thing we've love the most which is to play hockey.”

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2020-6-16_12-27-17.png

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Xavier Ouellet was everything the Rocket asked for this year

“Ouellet is fantastic at jumping up into the play to carry the puck, often leading the rushes out of his own defensive zone before carrying the play in deep and leaving a pass off for his forwards to create their own chances. He also has no issue working high in the zone, especially along the goal line. This allowed the Rocket to get creative with their offensive zone attacks, especially on the power play and in overtime.”

“While Ouellet can use his hands in close, he is more than capable of loading up a cannon of a shot from the point as well, adding to his versatility in the Rocket attack. His nine goals put him in the top eight in the AHL for defencemen, and he did so in fewer games than his peers due to injuries and recalls.”

“It’s hard to overstate just how important Ouellet is to the Laval Rocket. He’s more than just an on-ice producer. He’s the team captain, leading on the ice and helping to prepare the prospects for the next level of their careers.”

Reactions: 1909

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017

«Je me sens très bien physiquement. La plus grosse affaire ça va être de rattraper le temps perdu sur la glace et de me sentir confortable sur mes patins puisque je n'ai patiné depuis sept jours. Mais avant ça j'ai patiné toute la semaine à Brossard et je me suis entrainer fort. Je ne pense pas que ça va me nuire, avec les jours qui me restent avant le 1er match. Je me sens prêt pour faire parti du top 6 depuis que l'annonce a été faite qu'on allait participer aux rondes qualificatives des séries. J'avais commencé à me préparer depuis ce temps-là. J'ai gardé mon but en tête et je pense que j'ai bien fait quand j'étais ici à la fin de la saison. J'arrive ici au camp en forme et ça se voit. À partir de là, je fais juste continuer mon élan.»

«Le protocole était assez clair. J’avais le droit d’être chez moi et d’aller faire mes tests. Je me suis entrainé à la maison. J’ai continué à m’entrainer chez moi et je savais qu’à mon retour, il resterait 9 ou 10 jours avant le premier match. J’ai assez de temps pour montrer à la direction que je suis prêt. Je l’ai montré en fin de saison. La direction sait ce que je peux faire.»

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad