Player Discussion Xavier Ouellet: The X-Man

Jul 6, 2016
The first month is going to be tough. Its big hitters, we get a small reprive with I think Det and Ottawa, but aside from that its team after team.

Either way I think this fun little pre season has lead people to overestimate the team. When we hit real NHL rosters were going to get squeezed out like you said.

Most of the teams they will face will take the Habs lightly at the start of the year, thinking they can beat them without a sweat. That will be an error. But those same teams won't be caught twice and will eventually do what it takes to beat the Habs in the second half of the season.

Reactions: scrubadam

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Most of the teams they will face will take the Habs lightly at the start of the year, thinking they can beat them without a sweat. That will be an error. But those same teams won't be caught twice and will eventually do what it takes to beat the Habs in the second half of the season.

Pens/LA/Pens/DET/STL/OTT/CAL/BUF/Bos/Dal

Thats a killer 1st 10 games. I bolded 3 games that are the most winnable. Maybe Calgary could be in that catagory but I wouldn't.

3-7/4-6 start is almost he best we can hope for.

The in November

Was/TB/NYI/NYR/BUF/LV/EDM/CAL/VAN/WASH/NJ/BUF/BOS/CAR

14 games in November, and I highlited 4 games and thats probably being generous.

Very good chance this team starts 8-16 or even worse.

Jul 6, 2016
Pens/LA/Pens/DET/STL/OTT/CAL/BUF/Bos/Dal

Thats a killer 1st 10 games. I bolded 3 games that are the most winnable. Maybe Calgary could be in that catagory but I wouldn't.

3-7/4-6 start is almost he best we can hope for.

The in November

Was/TB/NYI/NYR/BUF/LV/EDM/CAL/VAN/WASH/NJ/BUF/BOS/CAR

14 games in November, and I highlited 4 games and thats probably being generous.

Very good chance this team starts 8-16 or even worse.

If Price is top-shape, I would be more generous than you. I would say 10-10-4.
Habs can beat the NYR, win 1 vs the Pens and they are always succesful vs BOS... So
But BUF is better and games vs Western Canadian Teams are no pic nics.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
If Price is top-shape, I would be more generous than you. I would say 10-10-4

Either way its a tough 2 months of the season, going to be very hard.

Last year team started 1-6-1 and it set the tone for the whole season. These first 10 games are going to be very tough and its very possible we are in the same hole.

Its a bit hyperbolic to say but I think the season really rest on those first 10 games. If we tank it like last year the year is done. If by some miracle they can go 6-2-2 or something then it will give the team some confidence and they might carry the momentum for the rest of the year.

Jul 6, 2016
[QUOTE="scrubadam, post: 149935493, member: 269771"]Either way its a tough 2 months of the season, going to be very hard.

Last year team started 1-6-1 and it set the tone for the whole season. These first 10 games are going to be very tough and its very possible we are in the same hole.

Its a bit hyperbolic to say but I think the season really rest on those first 10 games. If we tank it like last year the year is done. If by some miracle they can go 6-2-2 or something then it will give the team some confidence and they might carry the momentum for the rest of the year.[/QUOTE]

I think the six months of the season are gonna be hard.

Reactions: scrubadam

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
[QUOTE="scrubadam, post: 149935493, member: 269771"]Either way its a tough 2 months of the season, going to be very hard.

Its a bit hyperbolic to say but I think the season really rest on those first 10 games. If we tank it like last year the year is done. If by some miracle they can go 6-2-2 or something then it will give the team some confidence and they might carry the momentum for the rest of the year.

I think the six months of the season are gonna be hard.[/QUOTE]

LOL more like the 6 months of this season and the 6 months of the next season ...

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I think we will start a little rough but finish season strong. I have us at .500 for the season. This is s fun speedy team to watch

.500, as in 1 point per game, is far below average in the NHL with all of its loser points. It means being a lottery team.

If you mean tgat the Habs will finish with 41 wins, which is a more meaningful interpretation of "playing .500," then you're being optimistic.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
No it won't. Habs suck badly, better teams can take them lightly and still get away with it.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
.500, as in 1 point per game, is far below average in the NHL with all of its loser points. It means being a lottery team.

If you mean tgat the Habs will finish with 41 wins, which is a more meaningful interpretation of "playing .500," then you're being optimistic.
I think we can go 34-34-14ish. With new coaching changes we play a more speed, team oriented game. They are fun to watch. If Kotkaniemi makes the team gives them that missing center they been craving for several years.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Playing for .500 is in relationshions to points. Teams that have 40 wins are usually part of the top of the league, so it's misleading to go by that given the current point system.
Looking at the total in points is a more realistic interpretation.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Playing for .500 is in relationshions to points. Teams that have 40 wins are usually part of the top of the league, so it's misleading to go by that given the current point system.
Looking at the total in points is a more realistic interpretation.

41 wins actually means that a team is near the middle of the standings.

82 points actually means near the bottom of the standings.

The term ".500", was around before loser points. If people were better at mathematical reasoning, it would now mean 41 wins in a season, as that's closer to the original meaning and goal. The definition would have changed immedoimmed when the point system changed .

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

The term ".500", was around before loser points. If people were better at mathematical reasoning, it would now mean 41 wins in a season, as that's closer to the original meaning and goal. The definition would have changed immedoimmed when the point system changed .
You sir, are correct.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018

We need that artificial parity. I find the league has changed a lot for the worse too, I'd liked to know, relative to other sports, how often does luck play a larger role than skill. Seems like like is more heavily involved now, years ago, the best team usually went on to win the cup. Now it feels like the game is so tightly checked that lucky bounces and complete flukes are equally as common. Maybe it's my perception, but seems like the luck/skill ratio has gotten completely unbalanced in the game today. Coaches coaching not to lose instead of trying to win allows teams with a skill deficit to stay competitive, but it makes for some awfully boring games.

Last year I found myself watching more NBA games than NHL games which is batshit crazy for me.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
My feed cut out last game about half way through but I thought he had one of his better games so far. I've seen him be a bit shaky at times but all in all he's doing a lot better than I thought he would. Not uber skilled but not totally bereft of offense. As a #5ish-#7 I think you could do a lot worse.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Sometimes I feel he does nothing great but I also feel he is better than:

Schlemko (arguable)
Alzner
Benn

But below:

Weber
Petry
Rielly
Mete
Juulsen

He is fighting with Schlemko for that last spot once Weber is back, hopefully that means the end of Alzner...

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
He's been very quiet lately from the action I've seen.

I mean that as a compliment.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
A few brain farts here and there but he's mostly doing his job. Wouldn't mind if he's next on the waiver wire though.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I don't live in Montreal anymore, but is he getting a lot of attention from the local media?

If so then that's a good reason to keep him on the team over other potential 6th dmen.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
He really isn't very good. He is a poor skater and is prone to brain cramps. Shlemko is a big upgrade and a far better fit on this team. Ouellett is at best #8 on the depth chart when everyone is healthy. Kulak should be ahead of him as well and Oloffson will easily surpass him once he gets into game shape. On a positive note, he has helped keep Alzner on the bench and he has played within his limitations. Ufortunately he will be on waivers at some point unless injuries get out of hand

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->