Player Discussion Xavier Ouellet: The X-Man

Jul 6, 2016
For the time being, he is a fine #6 d-man. Let's hope Juulsen and-or Fleury will compete for that spot soon.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Mete isn't an NHLer. Ouellet is ok defensively in the AHL, he has no business being in the NHL.

If you can be a mostly gaffe-less D-man while playing in the NHL than yeah you do belong. No argument they're both bottom pairing guys but let's put away the hyperbole. Sure I'd like to see Juulsen and Fleury but Julien feels more confident with the Mete-Ouellet pairing.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Its nothing personal X-man ...But i just honestly think we have FOUR better options than this guy for bottom pair, its almost kind of mind blowing they selected him for the on ice playoff roster...and his play isnt showing much either

If Julien honest to god continues with a bottom pairing of Mete - Ouellet they will get eaten ALIVE, how can this coach not see this...

Reactions: MasterD

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If you can be a mostly gaffe-less D-man while playing in the NHL than yeah you do belong. No argument they're both bottom pairing guys but let's put away the hyperbole. Sure I'd like to see Juulsen and Fleury but Julien feels more confident with the Mete-Ouellet pairing.

he makes lots of mistakes in the AHL so I don't think he belongs in the NHL, but do like him as a decent AHLer to have around for depth in a pinch.

Jul 6, 2016
Its nothing personal X-man ...But i just honestly think we have FOUR better options than this guy for bottom pair, its almost kind of mind blowing they selected him for the on ice playoff roster...and his play isnt showing much either

If Julien honest to god continues with a bottom pairing of Mete - Ouellet they will get eaten ALIVE, how can this coach not see this...

What other options does he have in hands ? Folin ? ouch !; Juulsen ? not ready enough; Fleury ? mistakes prone still. Olofsson ? See Folin.

I would take Mete out of the line up before Ouellet right now. Hopefully, neither of them will be in the line up at the beginning of next regular season.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
Alzner would make a better left d in the playoffs vs Philly. Loads of experience against them. To think he's only 31 and Montreal can't find a spot for his experience.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Alzner would make a better left d in the playoffs vs Philly. Loads of experience against them. To think he's only 31 and Montreal can't find a spot for his experience.

Alzner opted out so it wasn't an option to find a spot for him

Reactions: MasterD

mynamejeff420

Apr 14, 2020
Ouellet is without a doubt a better option for the third pairing than Fleury or Juulsen, even though he's left handed. Ouellet is a neutral impact player who's a slight positive impact defensively. Fleury is just all around awful and Juulsen hasn't played in 2 years, but when he did play he was also terrible. Claude's making the right decision because the alternatives are all awful. The only player who should be in the running for the spot is Folin, and he's the same type of player as Ouellet, only right handed (which to be fair probably makes him a better option for the third pair, since Mete would then be able to play on his strong side).

upload_2020-8-13_1-56-55.png

upload_2020-8-13_1-58-37.png
upload_2020-8-13_1-58-51.png
upload_2020-8-13_1-59-5.png

Also the people calling Mete a #6/7/AHL D are totally out to lunch. He's a great defenseman who's elite at driving play. Our lineup is way better with him in it.
upload_2020-8-13_1-59-50.png

Over the past 3 seasons he's 15th among defensemen in RAPM xGPM. That's a caliber of player you want in your lineup each and every night. He should be on the top pairing with Weber as they've had so much success together over the years I don't get why Claude refuses to play them together, and especially because the Chiarot/Weber pairing is a total dumpster fire.

TL;DR: Ouellet isn't great but he's way better than Fleury and Juulsen, and the only person who should be in contention for that spot is Folin. Also Mete is great.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
I reeeeeeeally don't understand why this guy is getting minutes while we have guys like Fleury, Juulsen and Romanov in the wings...

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I reeeeeeeally don't understand why this guy is getting minutes while we have guys like Fleury, Juulsen and Romanov in the wings...

Romanov is ineligible to play.

Fleury and Juulsen could definitely be worse.

My main criticism of his usage yesterday is he shouldn't be on the pk. He's not strong enough to move guys screening Price out of the way.

Reactions: Hins77

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Ouellet is not my favorite. Far of it, at least hes working on each shift and try to be responsible... He is not like Dale weise who was litteraly doing nothing right

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
He and Mete have to gtfo , both of them stink.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Strong game by Ouellet. Excellent play to set up the first goal. These are his true first NHL playoffs and I'm happy to see he's elevating his play for the occasion.

I was also skeptical at first because I wanted Fleury or Juulsen. But as of now, he's the right guy in the right chair.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Ouellet is without a doubt a better option for the third pairing than Fleury or Juulsen, even though he's left handed. Ouellet is a neutral impact player who's a slight positive impact defensively. Fleury is just all around awful and Juulsen hasn't played in 2 years, but when he did play he was also terrible. Claude's making the right decision because the alternatives are all awful. The only player who should be in the running for the spot is Folin, and he's the same type of player as Ouellet, only right handed (which to be fair probably makes him a better option for the third pair, since Mete would then be able to play on his strong side).

View attachment 360757
View attachment 360758View attachment 360759View attachment 360760

Also the people calling Mete a #6/7/AHL D are totally out to lunch. He's a great defenseman who's elite at driving play. Our lineup is way better with him in it.
View attachment 360761

Over the past 3 seasons he's 15th among defensemen in RAPM xGPM. That's a caliber of player you want in your lineup each and every night. He should be on the top pairing with Weber as they've had so much success together over the years I don't get why Claude refuses to play them together, and especially because the Chiarot/Weber pairing is a total dumpster fire.

TL;DR: Ouellet isn't great but he's way better than Fleury and Juulsen, and the only person who should be in contention for that spot is Folin. Also Mete is great.

If these stats are so important why are you unwilling to explain them?

You're going technical and using abbreviations, it's standard to introduce every abbreviate unless it's universally known like PK or PP.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
The guy was signed to be a #9-10 defenceman and a leader in Laval and found himself in the lineup due to circumstances (Scandella and Reilly traded, Fleury and Folin suck and Juulsen not healthy). The amount of crap he's getting for an honest effort from a large part of this fanbase is mind-boggling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vachon23

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Alzner is kind of like the Weise of habs dmen.

There is literally nothing I can say that he does which would bring value to this lineup. If the only thing you can say is experience, thats just because there is no other redeeming on ice quality.

It's not that oulette brings alot to the table either, but he does bring some speed, and mobility, I guess. Alzner is "okay" in certain aspects, and poor in others, and he doesn't excel at anything in particular at the nhl level.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
He wouldn't be asked to step up in our top 4 and play difficult minutes, he would just be replacing the atrocious 13 minutes Mete and Ouellet have been giving us on our 3rd pair.
Since when has Ouellet been atrocious.? The guy played 1 game and they won it. You guys really need to stop expecting a rookie 3rd rounder to step in and displace a vet. Believe me, I wish he could, but its very unrealistic.

Jul 6, 2016
Since when has Ouellet been atrocious.? The guy played 1 game and they won it. You guys really need to stop expecting a rookie 3rd rounder to step in and displace a vet. Believe me, I wish he could, but its very unrealistic.

You know that Ouellet cannot win on this board. I think he is a fair d-man for a bottom spot or as a #7. Way safer and better than Mete defensively.

Reactions: Sagikev

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
You know that Ouellet cannot win on this board. I think he is a fair d-man for a bottom spot or as a #7. Way safer and better than Mete defensively.
Absolutely. He wouldn't be the captain in Laval if they didn't have some confidence in him. I think he's just fine as a replacement 3rd pair guy. He's not going to make any more mistakes than anyone else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad