Post-Game Talk: [x-Toronto Maple Leafs] Win 4-1

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Maybe it was because of the early lead but I think the team played really sloppy tonight.

Lucky the habs were pushovers and had no fight.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Where are the veteran haters now on our team ?
Like many of us said
This team is all about the playoffs with our additions
Our vets couldn’t care less about the reg season
It’s all about the cup
We haven't played a playoff game yet. This is a random weekday game vs. a ~.500 team.

I want them to be clutch when it matters most, but that's not tonight.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
agreed but this might change a lot when the habs get all their regulars back. I think what you said will make a monumental difference but the games might be a little closer esp with Price in net

in theory, yes. The difference will be in how this team approaches the game compared to teams in the past. Again, which is why I suggest Nash plays. His style is conducive to playoff hockey.

Assuming Bogosian is healthy, based on who I would play, you'd have seven new players on the ice this post-season, eight, if you count a new starting goalie. All of the players who Dubas added were strictly for a demand for playoff success.

Price has had a bad year and he might try to make amends with a great playoff performance. I'm not sure he alone will be able to stop a hungry Leafs team. I still stick to my belief that this Leafs team has another gear reserved for the post-season, and we only saw some of it the last couple of games against the Jets.

Once the real season begins, I fully expect everyone will sacrifice as needed. No opponent is going to find an easy mark against the Leafs.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Cobra

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
There's no better satisfaction than watching the Leafs show the hockey world how bad of a team Montreal truly is. Purely satisfying to watch.

Matthews with his sweet 35th goal in 45 games, that trophy is his this season.

Tavares was in beast mode again. Nylander looked really good too.

Campbell looked calm and collected. Love him.

Can't complain about anything. Love my Leafs!

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
how or why in the wide world of sports did SN award Willie the 3rd star?????

did they not see the same game, Spetz, Brooksie, Sandin, Campbell all played far more significant roles in tonights win

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
how or why in the wide world of sports did SN award Willie the 3rd star?????

did they not see the same game, Spetz, Brooksie, Sandin, Campbell all played far more significant roles in tonights win
upload_2021-4-28_20-31-22.gif

Reactions: keonsbitterness

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
He is 25 years old... I highly doubt he turns into a 40-50 point guy if he is even a full time NHLer. The fact that he looks like he can even stay around in short spurts is more impressive than he has looked in the AHL for the most part.

It would be great if Seattle takes him. Get him a better shot and we don't lose anyone important. We can easily replace him in UFA and then we can trade Kerfoot for much better value than Brooks would have received.

I don't see any of the AHL games so this is just speculation, but could it be this is a classic case of a smart player, of somewhat limited physical abilities, being able to see his game improve because he's playing with other smart players. The feed off each other, and for Brooks the sum becomes better than the individual part?

Reactions: The Cobra

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Where are the veteran haters now on our team ?
Like many of us said
This team is all about the playoffs with our additions
Our vets couldn’t care less about the reg season
It’s all about the cup

these vets are war veterans. The playoffs is all out WAR.

This year the Leafs have the right experience and leadership on their side. Plus the younger guys Respect them.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Always good to have that playoff ticket punched as soon as possible. Would still be great to enter the grandest stage while riding on some kind of momentum.

Reactions: banks

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
in theory, yes. The difference will be in how this team approaches the game compared to teams in the past. Again, which is why I suggest Nash plays. His style is conducive to playoff hockey.

Assuming Bogosian is healthy, based on who I would play, you'd have seven new players on the ice this post-season, eight, if you count a new starting goalie. All of the players who Dubas added were strictly for a demand for playoff success.

Price has had a bad year and he might try to make amends with a great playoff performance. I'm not sure he alone will be able to stop a hungry Leafs team. I still stick to my belief that this Leafs team has another gear reserved for the post-season, and we only saw some of it the last couple of games against the Jets.

Once the reason season begins, I fully expect everyone will sacrifice as needed. No opponent is going to find an easy mark against the Leafs.

great analysis. However, historically, the young Leafs have had their ups and downs in the postseason. Marner has been hot and cold. Kapanen was good for us but hes gone. I think this team will do much better than last year however. Esp bc of the defense, Campbell, and how this team has been built to not be bullied/pushed around. Playoffs is a different beast so we will see if they can take their game up a higher gear.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
He is 25 years old... I highly doubt he turns into a 40-50 point guy if he is even a full time NHLer. The fact that he looks like he can even stay around in short spurts is more impressive than he has looked in the AHL for the most part.

It would be great if Seattle takes him. Get him a better shot and we don't lose anyone important. We can easily replace him in UFA and then we can trade Kerfoot for much better value than Brooks would have received.

Some guys are better players at the NHL level than the AHL level. The Marlies have been a hot mess for the better part of 2 years since Keefe got hired for the leafs. Playing with the big club he has looked very solid and has looked like a good NHL player.

Kerfoot will return a 3rd+4th most likely with his production being underwhelming again this season. Kerfoot is a decent 3C, but at 3.5M is too pricey to be a long-term fit for the team and not good enough in his role to be justifying that type of money.

The best-case scenario is to keep brooks on the team the next 7 games and try and push up his minutes to see how his play responds. If he continues to play well in a 3rd line role, then it makes sense to get him on a very cheap deal for next season and bring in a veteran 3C for cheap to split time with him.

We can still trade Kerfoot or let him be taken to the expansion draft, and the cap savings would be great with the vet coming in at 1M and brooks at 800K, so we'd save around 1.75M that could go towards Hyman's raise on his UFA deal.

Guys who could come in and play that defensive 3C role (altering with Brooks, if we find him good enough over this next stretch and the playoffs) are guys like Kuraly, Soderberg, Flippula, Derek Ryan, Bozak, Bjugstad,

I think brooks if he continues his play, gives dubas the option to find an internal replacement for kerfoot through platooning the 3C spot between brooks and a veteran C

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad