Post-Game Talk: [x-Toronto Maple Leafs] Win 4-1

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Who scores more in his career Caufield or Robertson?

Caufield gets more points, Robertson scores more goals is my guess.

If Caufield doesn't produce much in Montreal in the first 2-3 years, they'll ship him out and he could blossom elsewhere.

Definitely needs some seasoning. He has the speed to skate with the big boys but needs some practice and refining in his game. The hype he's getting seems to indicate he can be a big driver of the play on his line but we didn't see really any of that last night.

Reactions: Menzinger

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Who scores more in his career Caufield or Robertson?

I am actually going with Robertson on this one. I think Caufield could outscore him but Nick just seems to have more to his game, and Cole seems destined to be a perimeter shooter (but could be a damn good one)

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Caufield gets more points, Robertson scores more goals is my guess.

If Caufield doesn't produce much in Montreal in the first 2-3 years, they'll ship him out and he could blossom elsewhere.

Definitely needs some seasoning. He has the speed to skate with the big boys but needs some practice and refining in his game. The hype he's getting seems to indicate he can be a big driver of the play on his line but we didn't see really any of that last night.

He broke, no shattered Matthews season record for goals scoring at the USDT, the guy can snipe. I can'/t post new threads but I think it would be an interesting debate/poll question.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
On the Habs lone goal, I think Holl was a bit thrown off because he was expecting some back pressure from Nylander (so Holl backed off a bit) but Willy just kinda coasted there behind him.. Holl still should have stepped up on the gap but I think that's why he didn't

Willy guarded middle on that play which was correct play. Holl gave Suzuki too much space. Very poor gap control. He should have stepped up and used his reach if habs c started to go wide on him (and there was not enough space there to do it). Campbell started to cheat to the middle because Holl stick was in the way of puck and that was mistake. So a bit of confusion on the goal all around it.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
In a poll in the general NHL discussion I think Cole wins, not many people know Robertson outside of the Leafs orbit. Cole has more hype.

I'm not sold on Robertson yet either, both are small, and both are raw in terms of NHL experience. Robertson honestly does not look ready, he is a half second behind. If Robertson can find a niche on the 2nd unit pp, he might have a chance to score more but with our top 6 as deep as it is, he's at best on our 3rd line. Cole will get 1st unit PP and 1st or 2nd line minutes. hard to compete with that.

I think both are a couple of years away from any sort of impact.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Willy guarded middle on that play which was correct play. Holl gave Suzuki too much space. Very poor gap control. He should have stepped up and used his reach if habs c started to go wide on him (and there was not enough space there to do it). Campbell started to cheat to the middle because Holl stick was in the way of puck and that was mistake. So a bit of confusion on the goal all around it.

I like these sort of post, not because I agree with it but it's interesting to see how different fans would play certain, game within the game.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
In a poll in the general NHL discussion I think Cole wins, not many people know Robertson outside of the Leafs orbit. Cole has more hype.

I'm not sold on Robertson yet either, both are small, and both are raw in terms of NHL experience. Robertson honestly does not look ready, he is a half second behind. If Robertson can find a niche on the 2nd unit pp, he might have a chance to score more but with our top 6 as deep as it is, he's at best on our 3rd line. Cole will get 1st unit PP and 1st or 2nd line minutes. hard to compete with that.

I think both are a couple of years away from any sort of impact.
The problem for Caufield is he will not be allowed that time if it was he needs. The Leafs can and if needed have shown they will give him the time if he isn't ready. Development matters for players that aren't plug and play(top of the top players) and the Leafs have been proving their development model the last 5 years or so while the Habs are....well they are the Habs.

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
Caufield looks tiny. I think he has more skill but the NHL will present a bit of a wall for him, physically. I know some smaller players have done very well, but it tends to be the exception. Is he exceptional? I dunno.
Robertson looks a little stockier. Needs to improve skating a whole bunch. He has enough talent as well, but looks a step behind Caulfield that way.
I think both guys are 20 goal guys who will show flashes of brilliance but never really be in your top 3.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
D minutes tonight:
- Rielly 20:49
- Holl 20:22
- Muzzin 19:55
- Brodie 19:30
- Sandin 18:00
- Dermott 16:52

Keefe definitely trusts that third pairing; Sandin with solid PP time & Dermott with solid PK time as well.

With the way Dermott protected our basket as basketball center on that one play, why not? lol

May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
My absolute favourite thing going into this season was the lunacy that some "experts" picked Montreal to win the division.

If they had picked them to be a surprise or a much improved team - then sure. But people like Coliacovo and Serravelli choosing them to win the division over the likes of Toronto, Winnipeg and Edmonton was crazy.

That victory over Pittsburgh absolutely created a weird obsessed frenzy. Montreal had so many gaping holes going into this season but we're just ignored. They lack top talent, their D is largely immobile, their highest paid player is a goalie who for three years has been far below average, etc

david999

Jan 21, 2011
Caufield looked much smaller than advertised on the ice. He can skate but seems very easy to knock off the puck. Nic Petan type player.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
My absolute favourite thing going into this season was the lunacy that some "experts" picked Montreal to win the division.

If they had picked them to be a surprise or a much improved team - then sure. But people like Coliacovo and Serravelli choosing them to win the division over the likes of Toronto, Winnipeg and Edmonton was crazy.

That victory over Pittsburgh absolutely created a weird obsessed frenzy. Montreal had so many gaping holes going into this season but we're just ignored. They lack top talent, their D is largely immobile, their highest paid player is a goalie who for three years has been far below average, etc
People, incl myself, thought Suzuki and Kot, would continue to play at last year's playoff level .. clearly da league has figured them out and they are not dominating anymore .. and Price played way way way over his head .. given addition of Edmundson (who is NHL +/- leader) to that mix into looked promising assuming Price and centres stayed at that level all year .. i thought Habs and Leafs would be 2 best teams too .. i had Leafs 1st, Habs and Jets 2nd/3rd and Canucks 4th ... but Demko took too long to get into form and loss of 2nd Swede centre that's it for them

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
I’m not sure he is 5’7” he is looking smaller than that

Smurfs dratted smurf. Century old tradition!
Welcome_Baby_Smurf.jpg

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
loving the Thornton - Brooks - Spezza line. Brooks looks like he has a shot to be an everyday player in 2021-22 season at this point. Hell if he continues this level of play, I'd have zero concerns putting him on the ice in the playoffs. Doesn't play a risky game at all, has the ability to distribute the puck far better than most 4th liners, and has been relentless in puck retrieval. Its an abortion of a line on paper, but the product has been outstanding. Maybe it's just my eyes deceiving me, but it felt like the entirety of their 10+ minutes last night was played in MTL's end. The recent point production from that line will likely fizzle off, but they have controlled play most of the time IMO

Agreed. I call them Brooks et Spezza-Thornton- BeST line.

May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
People, incl myself, thought Suzuki and Kot, would continue to play at last year's playoff level .. clearly da league has figured them out and they are not dominating anymore .. and Price played way way way over his head .. given addition of Edmundson (who is NHL +/- leader) to that mix into looked promising assuming Price and centres stayed at that level all year .. i thought Habs and Leafs would be 2 best teams too .. i had Leafs 1st, Habs and Jets 2nd/3rd and Canucks 4th ... but Demko took too long to get into form and loss of 2nd Swede centre that's it for them

That's the problem with extrapolating anything from a 10 game sample size. Especially a playoff series that Montreal didn't deserve to be in and in a never before seen playoff situation. They had good performances against a terribly performing Penguins team and somehow that launched them in projections above the Leafs. That's just lazy analysis.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad