WWE: WWE TV - Raw & Smackdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
So Apollo Crews is now doing a reverse Kofi Kingston. Remember when Kofi first showed up on the main roster he had a Jamaican accent which mysteriously disappeared after a few months. Now suddenly after he turns heel Crews has a Nigerian accent. It's not quite as bad as having a 3 minute video package on something that happened just 10 minutes earlier but it's still another case of the WWE thinking that their audience has the attention span of a 5-year old. :thumbd:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
So Apollo Crews is now doing a reverse Kofi Kingston. Remember when Kofi first showed up on the main roster he had a Jamaican accent which mysteriously disappeared after a few months. Now suddenly after he turns heel Crews has a Nigerian accent. It's not quite as bad as having a 3 minute video package on something that happened just 10 minutes earlier but it's still another case of the WWE thinking that their audience has the attention span of a 5-year old. :thumbd:

The difference is, it's real with Apollo Crews. His parents are Nigerian, the accent is from them.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Not Dexter Lumis.

I don't watch NXT, so I don't know who he is, but if they bring him up, they'll just make him act/talk like everyone else.

Watch what they do with Rhea Ripley. I'm almost positive she'll eventually get the Nikki Cross makeover.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
If he ever shows up on RAW or Smackdown he'll likely end up being a rapper or some other stupid gimmick. :thumbd:

Nope. It's Sam Shaw's/Dexter Lumis's gimmick to not talk.

On NXT where Vince has little control over character development. If Lumis ever gets to RAW or Smackdown Vince will likely tinker with his character like he does with about 95% of the roster. :nod:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
On NXT where Vince has little control over character development. If Lumis ever gets to RAW or Smackdown Vince will likely tinker with his character like he does with about 95% of the roster. :nod:

Vince will be dead by the time Lumis is called up. So that's a no from me, to paraphrase Simon Cowell.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Apollo should be talking the way he normally talks. If that’s with an accent then it is but I suspect it’s not. Depends how much control he’s given over the character, but he’s getting a character so at least that’s still good for him, and he’s been excellent at performing it.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Apollo should be talking the way he normally talks. If that’s with an accent then it is but I suspect it’s not. Depends how much control he’s given over the character, but he’s getting a character so at least that’s still good for him, and he’s been excellent at performing it.

I don't mind a wrestler talking in an accent. They are just playing TV characters. But the problem is going from no accent to a foreign accent. That's just stupid. Imagine Walter White developing a British accent in the middle of Breaking Bad.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't mind a wrestler talking in an accent. They are just playing TV characters. But the problem is going from no accent to a foreign accent. That's just stupid. Imagine Walter White developing a British accent in the middle of Breaking Bad.
If it's his idea, then fine, it's his character, this is more than they've ever given him and so far he is delivering. But otherwise I think you're right.

Those other issues with characters having accents is a different thing when you have Rusev and Lana, everyone figures out Lana's accent was fake (since Total Divas is a thing) but they keep going with it, breaking them up and then burying Rusev when they get married in real-life. That's trying to have it both ways.

It's actually almost exactly like Sgt. Slaughter going heel being an Iraqi sympathizer because they needed a Wrestlemania program.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Jinder Mahal is awesome! He was just given too much too quickly.

85b8e94340009c5da9688d7b42393e83fe9d8326.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad