Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Patrik Laine re-signs with the Jets (2 years, $6.75M AAV)

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
what if laine has two 50 goal seasons?

Good problem to have.
Jets back of the brinks trucks and pay the man.
You want to be have players that are worth the big bucks.
They have great value contracts with Scheifele, Morrissey, Ehlers etc...

If Laine earns himself a 10 - 12 million dollar pay day then we have a monster scoring machine on our hand. A fans dream in some ways.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
agenda? geez some fans are pretty paranoid. I don't have a dog in the fight one way or another. I don't even know if you think I'm anti-Jets or anti-Laine whatever wars you wage into your own mind. But i'm rooting for both so not sure where you are coming from or what you think I meant.

You may not have intended it to but your post came off as pretty snarky. Sort of like only bad things can happen.
People add their own intonation, emotion etc... to other people's typed words so it's easy to misunderstand people.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Is there a GM that drafts better than Chevy?
Laine, Scheif, Ehlers, Trouba, Morrissey, Heinola and Connor are all 1st round picks.

Reactions: Moon Man

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
no. Laine is not sure he wants to be a Jet, and the Jets are not sure they want Laine.

lose-lose
Try to follow. I'm typing as slow as I can...

The Jets bridged Laine (similar to Morrissey) so they can sign Connor long term as there wasn't enough cap space to allow them both signing long term.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Try to follow. I'm typing as slow as I can...

The Jets bridged Laine (similar to Morrissey) so they can sign Connor long term as there wasn't enough cap space to allow them both signing long term.

No. This is a bad faith contract. Watch what kind of good faith contract Connor will get.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
No. This is a bad faith contract. Watch what kind of good faith contract Connor will get.
he got 50m which is exactly what I said he would get.
Actually I made a post on August 3rd that nailed both of these contracts to the term and money...

Both long term.
Both bridged.
KC bridged and Laine long term.
Laine bridged and KC long term.
Make your guesses. Here are mine...

KC 7 x 7.143m or 50 m over 7 years. Laine 6 x 9m.
KC 2 x 5.25m. Laine 2 x 6.75m.
KC 2 x 5.25m. Laine 6 x 9m.
Laine 2 x 6.75m. KC 50m over 7 years.

jrs

Oct 11, 2017
he got 50m which is exactly what I said he would get.
Actually I made a post on August 3rd that nailed both of these contracts to the term and money...

Both long term.
Both bridged.
KC bridged and Laine long term.
Laine bridged and KC long term.
Make your guesses. Here are mine...

KC 7 x 7.143m or 50 m over 7 years. Laine 6 x 9m.
KC 2 x 5.25m. Laine 2 x 6.75m.
KC 2 x 5.25m. Laine 6 x 9m.
Laine 2 x 6.75m. KC 50m over 7 years.
Yer a wizard ducky

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I just don’t understand why Chevy is playing these games with his young stars.

And tbh it’s now Kane, Trouba, and Laine that the management has done this to.

I'm not sure what you are talking about.
I don't think those 3 players have anything in common aside from playing for this franchise.
Kane wanted out the moment the team moved here.
Trouba decided he wanted out once he found out his girlfriends school / work options.
Laine wrote a love letter to Winnipeg in year 2 and then held out like every other RFA this summer.

Trouba and Laine both had some gripes (legitimate) about usage during their ELC. The difference I see is that this fact is more important to Laine then it was to Trouba.
i.e. the usage comments were a way to deflect from the actual reason of wanting to play in the States for his girlfriend.

Laine's got show improvement and regain his production and the team has to prove how they intend to use their 2nd highest paid player.

Both parties have to come to the table over this 2 year deal to set up the extension that Jets fans hope can happen.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
that he may need to play elsewhere if they dont put him on the top line for starters

You know that's not what he said.
He expressed disappointment on his usage and TOI.

It's fair to say this.
It's untrue to say he doesn't like Winnipeg.
He literally wrote a story "Winnipeg is Good".
The city fits for him.
He just wants more opportunities and wants to play with the best players.
Many fans agree and essentially all athletes should have the desire he's striving for.
Now, combine that with a predatory local "journalist" who is known to work for a trash magazine and you get a very biased account. Keep in mind the writer added his own perceptions and feelings to the article and has on multiple occasions has wrote extremely negative pieces about the Jets / Maurice / Little as he is trying to sell magazines and get clicks to their websites.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
How do you know?

It's pretty simple.
Laine and is agent know that he can potentially get a massive deal in the next few years if he has some really strong seasons.
Signing long term now would have limited by quite a bit what he could get.

• Jets have limited cap space
  • Laine just had a down season and was dealing with back issues
  • New tv deal is coming
  • Contracts are expiring and the team can plan for the increase to Laine's cap hit
  • A 50 goal season with some improvements to his game really go a long way to getting him the top money he would like to earn.
His agent commented on this today.
If things go well and he shows what we think he will then he'll be in a great place to get a huge long term extension.

If he doesn't play well then he was not worth it and the Jets would have been handcuffed with that.

Like any player nothing is guaranteed and lots can happen between now and the next extension. I'm not going to presume doom and gloom until it's necessary.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
You compared him to Subban, In what world is Laine’s situation even comparable?

Highly talented individual that management wants to see more of before giving him the keys to the kingdom. That's where Subban was when he signed his bridge contract. The comparison is pretty apt.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
It's weird seeing some hets fans get so defensive against this post.

Imo the Jets under achiving is one of the biggest chokes we've seen in recent years (Tampas recent playoff sweep aside). Theyve wasted some of their sweetheart deals, and their older guys are already turning into lesser players (out of the league in Buffs case). And they just lost Trouba for scraps and seem to be heading in a similar direction on with Laine.

If chevy isnt on the hot seat already, he definitely needs to be.
I blame it mostly on Maurice. With a more open minded and innovative coach they would have been serious Stanley Cup contenders already, instead of the one year pretenders that they briefly were. And sure Chevy gets a big part of the blame for letting a coach like Maurice to ruin the Jets chances for real success for so many years already.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00