Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Patrik Laine re-signs with the Jets (2 years, $6.75M AAV)

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
Then the Jets will have a bona fide star on the roster and plenty of cap space to sign him to a big long term deal.

hard to see how people cannot understand how good a deal this is for the jets.

the team will have the money needed to resign or extend this contract.

by far the funniest post so far has been...…."it is a sign and trade"

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
I mean, one only has to look at Trouba to see how this could easily walk Laine down a similar path.

well lets consider the facts between the 2

trouba made it clear after his elc that he wanted out and took the fastest route to ufa.

laine has never said he wanted out and has said he loves it in Winnipeg.

they are not even close.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

trouba made it clear after his elc that he wanted out and took the fastest route to ufa.

they are not even close.

I just don’t understand why Chevy is playing these games with his young stars.

And tbh it’s now Kane, Trouba, and Laine that the management has done this to.

Reactions: Ippenator

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016

what games are you talking about?

the team had around 15 mil to sign connor and laine.

one had to take a bridge so the other could get longer term.

in 2 years buff's contract is finished, allowing the bridged player to get a large extension.

kane was and still is a bit of a problem child.

I explained what happened with trouba.

neither one is close to the laine situation

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
what games are you talking about?

the team had around 15 mil to sign connor and laine.

one had to take a bridge so the other could get longer term.

in 2 years buff's contract is finished, allowing the bridged player to get a large extension.

kane was and still is a bit of a problem child.

I explained what happened with trouba.

neither one is close to the laine situation

Guess we will wait and see.

It certainly is impressive how long the leash is for Chevy and Maurice considering they basically have constructed a one and done team that has basically one cup run that ended in one win in the WCF.

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016

It certainly is impressive how long the leash is for Chevy and Maurice considering they basically have constructed a one and done team that has basically one cup run that ended in one win in the WCF.

while you are waiting and seeing, I suggest you pay more attention to the team.

then you may be able to have an informed opinion on jets management.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Great deal for Laine. He had the worst year of his career, scored 50 points and somehow parlayed that into a 2 year, 6.75M deal with a 7.5M qualifying offer. The team should have took advantage of the struggles and got a lower avg or a longer term.

Reactions: Menzinger

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario

Yes, the second youngest team in the league is a one-and-done crew. They peaked in their early-to-mid 20s and it's nothing but lotteries from here.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

And morissey - listen to chevys interview after signing him. He wanted long term out of his elc but the jets couldn't do it because of the cap and bridged him instead with the understanding that a long term deal would be done asap.

In two years buff and perrault are both of the books and laine can cash in if he earns it.

For every kane or trouba who didn't want to be here, there's an ehlers or schiefele or Morrissey who did.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

A team that is still one of the YOUNGEST teams in the league and has a core including their #1 G, #1D, #1C, and 2 top 6 wingers (including their captain) signed thru the 2023-2024 season. Plus Laine is under team control for 4 more years as is Conner. So that gives them 4 legit top 6 wingers.

The defense is a big question mark for sure. They do have a lot of potential to be a fast, smart puck moving group. Second line C is still a work in progress.

Would not say the window is closed. It is not wide open like 2 seasons ago.

Reactions: MrBoJangelz71

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Believe me. Winnipeg fans tell me this every time I say they are immensely overrated.

Still waiting for Roslovic to be their future 2C.

You realize the Jets were the second youngest team in the league last season? Do you realize they will be the youngest team in the league this season?

You seem green to the evolution of a hockey player, believing one of the youngest teams in the league had a single season window to compete for a cup, that mysteriously closes when most of the team is years away from their prime.

Just think of how stupid that sounds.

CreeksideStrangler

Feb 9, 2011
Toronto, ON

they are not even close.
from the sounds of his interviews it seems he isnt all happy in Winnipeg... but ok... he "loves" it there if you say so

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

It's weird seeing some hets fans get so defensive against this post.

Imo the Jets under achiving is one of the biggest chokes we've seen in recent years (Tampas recent playoff sweep aside). Theyve wasted some of their sweetheart deals, and their older guys are already turning into lesser players (out of the league in Buffs case). And they just lost Trouba for scraps and seem to be heading in a similar direction on with Laine.

If chevy isnt on the hot seat already, he definitely needs to be.

Reactions: Ippenator

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
It's weird seeing some hets fans get so defensive against this post.

Imo the Jets under achiving is one of the biggest chokes we've seen in recent years (Tampas recent playoff sweep aside). Theyve wasted some of their sweetheart deals, and their older guys are already turning into lesser players (out of the league in Buffs case). And they just lost Trouba for scraps and seem to be heading in a similar direction on with Laine.

If chevy isnt on the hot seat already, he definitely needs to be.

Obviously you haven’t met the majority of Jets fans. The Trouba / Hayes deal should’ve been reason enough to put him on the hot seat.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I hate bridge deals... but this is probably the only one this summer I approve of. We don't know what Laine is yet, he has regressed rather than grown. This is too risky to sign long term.

It's what had to be done.
Wouldn't be fair to Laine to sign long term right now at a much lower rate then a prime Laine will be worth and doesn't saddle the Jets with over paying a guy for his potential.

Even a bad year of Laine is still worth around what he is getting.
Many people have said it but all teams over pay some of their players. This is a guy worth risking some over pay in the short term.
He can outplay this contract pretty easily.

Best case scenario for the team and player is a huge season this year that makes both sides comfortable with an early extension next summer. Big money for Laine, time for the Jets to clear the cap space for the first year of that new deal and the fans aren't forced to play a what if game if we did trade him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad