Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Patrik Laine re-signs with the Jets (2 years, $6.75M AAV)

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
There's only one Kyle Dubas and he seems to be......special when it comes to contracts but leaf fans like you seem to enjoy paying another 2% of the cap on Marner than Rantenen. Yay Dubas! What an embarrassment.

Enjoy your contract talks, in 2 years time.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
I think its a pretty awful situation. It took so long to complete this deal that they basically kicked the can down the road on their D which is basically giving up another year of being competitive with Laine. If a bridge deal was where you were going to end up, should have done that 2 months ago and tried to salvage this year.

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
Laine was overpaid by $500K per year. That said, the price of peace was worth it IMO. Jets management have more information than all of us and seem too want to work with Laine. What he did as a teenager was amazing. Here's hoping he can build on that to become one of a few elite players in the game. Time will tell.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I think its a pretty awful situation. It took so long to complete this deal that they basically kicked the can down the road on their D which is basically giving up another year of being competitive with Laine. If a bridge deal was where you were going to end up, should have done that 2 months ago and tried to salvage this year.

With the Buff situation as it is I'm not sure Laine signing earlier would have made much of a difference. UFA signings rarely work out. I think Jets management needs to see what the D looks like as is and then go from there.

The only quick fix for a D would be to part with elite talent from the forward group and we're not guaranteed / likely to get a similar player back in return. Patience is the best way forward from this tough spot.

We'll see how the team does this year and if it is a "lost year" I like our chances of being very competitive the next year. When you're as young as the Jets are time is on your side.

Reactions: wraithsonwings

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Laine was overpaid by $500K per year. That said, the price of peace was worth it IMO. Jets management have more information than all of us and seem too want to work with Laine. What he did as a teenager was amazing. Here's hoping he can build on that to become one of a few elite players in the game. Time will tell.
I don't know, it was on his first season when a work mate of mine noted that every hattrick will be +$500k to his next contract.

One more or less isn't here or there.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Incidentally, Leave Is Leaf by Opus is Laine's Finnish team Tappara's long-time goal song.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
If Laine scores 50 over each of the next 2 years, and gets paid 14mils/year on a long deal, he still makes less money than AM over AM's contract... After scoring 50 twice and signing long term....

I don't think that the Jets are too worried about that....
Not sure what you mean. You mean if He gets 14 over the following 3 years? Meaning 5 in total, same as AM (this 2 plus following 3)? If so that’s terrible logic. What if Matthews scores 50 the next 2 years as well? Laine would be older when he signs that contract thus giving him more opportunities to hit 50. If AM does it too then Laine gets 14 a year... then what? I’d rather have AMs contract.

People call Matthews inconsistent but he isn’t close to as inconsistent as Laine.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Yeah how terrible to get a discount for the next 2 years only to be forced to sign him long term for... less than Marner already makes anyway :laugh:

Oh come on - there's some risk to the Jets here.

If he scores 50 each year, wins a Rocket Richard, he's going to be up there with Matthews and McDavid, even if he doesn't really fix his defensive game. And if he does...

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Oh come on - there's some risk to the Jets here.

If he scores 50 each year, wins a Rocket Richard, he's going to be up there with Matthews and McDavid, even if he doesn't really fix his defensive game. And if he does...

So they get 2 50 goal seasons out of him for 6.75, as opposed to having to pay Marner money right off the bat? Seems like an advantage not a risk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad