Confirmed Trade: [WPG/OTT] Dylan DeMelo for 2020 3rd round pick

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Everyone else here thinks the sens got ripped off.

How can you spin that not negotiating is a good move when you have this many players on expiring contracts?
66% of those are Sens fans, another40% don't follow the Sens and the rest have been duped by the Greene trade.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
The Senators don't have much of value to move.

Tierney and Pageau are the only players worth picks in the top three rounds. Tierney isn't a pure rental though, he's an RFA.

Anderson and Namestnikov MIGHT get 3rd rounders but it is a long shot. Anderson is more dynamic in that he goes from negative value to in an absolute best case dream scenario maybe getting us a 3rd if all the Panthers goalies get lost in an impromptu space shuttle trip to Mars. Otherwise, Anderson probably doesn't get traded.

Everybody else who would realistically be available is maybe worth 4th-7th rounders.
Still, imagine adding a 1st and a 3rd for Pageau, a 2nd for Tierney and a 3rd for one of Anderson or Namestinkov.

That would put you guys with 12 picks in the top three rounds, albeit at this point it's probably better for Dorion to ask for 2021 or even 2022 picks if he was smart.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
The value is fair/close.

Sens fans wanted a 2nd, but I doubt Jets fans would have been happy with that trade.
I personally would have tried to do something like DeMelo + our latest 3rd for the Jets' 2nd, but that would likely make more sense to do on draft day when you know players are available.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Dillon got more. :laugh: Pierre Dorion is a total joke of a GM. It’s insane that at no point in the season he didn’t even offer a contract and then traded him for below market value, you don’t see this anywhere else in the NHL, but its a staple strategy of this dysfunctional organization.

Reactions: hn777

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Well, in terms of Jets, I'd say he's better than Beaulieu, Kulikov, Sbisa and Poolman, so would be #3 for Jets. That's the thing.
Doubt he is better then poolman. Better than niku sbisa and beaulieu more likely

Sensin5

Jan 27, 2013
Everyone else here thinks the sens got ripped off.

How can you spin that not negotiating is a good move when you have this many players on expiring contracts?

In fairness, everyone here thinks the Sens get ripped off in every trade. I'm sure there are likely pages and pages on how Sens got ripped a new one when they traded Yashin for Chara and what became Spezza.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I think Demelo is the kind of player who ideally slots into the bottom pair. But he doesn't look out of place when subbed up due to injury.

He's not flashy, just steady and solid in his own end.

Good player. He'll make the Jets better

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
3rd is an OK return. DeMelo is a little better than his points/reputation suggest but definitely a 3rd pairing player on a playoff team. Ottawa fans raging here are just over-valuing their guy and/or looking for a reason to hate on the management.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad