Confirmed Trade: [WPG/OTT] Dylan DeMelo for 2020 3rd round pick

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
sens could have gotten a 3rd on deadline day. There was no real point of jumping the gun here. Winnipeg got a really nice deal here. Demelo is a solid #4/5 dman who is sound defensively. Good sound dmen are hard to come by, obviously he doesnt have the offensive skills to be considered an elite dman but this was a bargain buy

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
I don't know much about De Melo. Yes, Winnipeg needs every help it can get at D, but is he useful?

Cynick

Know-Nothing
Dec 24, 2008
Toronto
This is the kind of guy that playoff teams should be excited to pick-up at the deadline: reliable through and through. You can trust him defensively in all situations (and know that he won't chip in whatsoever offensively). A great move for Winnipeg. Dorion sold low here even if DeMelo wasn't a big name like some of the other defencemen on the market.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I don't know much about De Melo. Yes, Winnipeg needs every help it can get at D, but is he useful?
Yes he’s very steady. Can be a #4 but should be on the bottom pairing. Not a lot of offense but solid defensively and doesn’t make a lot of mistakes. He makes his defense partner better so he should be paired with an offensive minded guy.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

He's useful. He's a steady stay at home guy, doesn't do much offensively but he doesn't make many mistakes.

You don't really notice Demelo. Which is probably the best thing you can say about him.

He'd be a great fit on the bottom pair of a good blueline, and can sub up and not look out of place at all. He spent a lot of time with CHabot, and looked solid doing it.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
IMG_7193.png

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
HF hive mind might think a rental bottom pair D man with little brand recognition is worth a second, but a 3rd seems quite reasonable.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
The Sens will be a team on the rise I can see why he wanted to stay. He would have been the type of player to keep for that as well.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Sbisa gets knocked out do you think? Not bad value when you consider you replace Sbisa with DeMelo for a mid to late 3rd. That's a bigger gain than St. Louis got by replacing one of the young kids with Scandella, or Siegs for Dillon. Probably the best bang for your buck trade so far today.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I'm not sure how to process a trade for the Jets where mostly everyone thinks we did pretty good at the time of the trade (not in hindsight). What even is this?

IIRC many liked the Bogdan Kiselevich trade for us and he never even played a game for us.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Seems this is the year that all the prices are steep, but for a steep price this isn't that bad. I think DeMelo could build his game well the same way Neal Pionk did this season. But rather a player went the other way.

Looking forward to seeing DeMelo play today.

But is it trade deadline today, am I missing something? Because there have been a ton of trades today...

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Not an Ottawa fan but with the Dillon and Scandella trades both teams retained 50%. Scandella makes 4.75 and Dillon 3.9, at this point in the year I'm not sure what the actual cash that's left but those teams are eating money. The St. Louis and Washington pick will be late 2nd so likely 55+ while Winnipeg 3rd could be 75. So just a 20 spot difference and Melnyk doesn't have to pay a player to be on another team. And he has by far the least playoff experience of the three.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Not an Ottawa fan but with the Dillon and Scandella trades both teams retained 50%. Scandella makes 4.75 and Dillon 3.9, at this point in the year I'm not sure what the actual cash that's left but those teams are eating money. The St. Louis and Washington pick will be late 2nd so likely 55+ while Winnipeg 3rd could be 75. So just a 20 spot difference and Melnyk doesn't have to pay a player to be on another team. And he has by far the least playoff experience of the three.

We have a bingo !

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

DeMelo is only making 900K so even with teams eating 50% of those salaries DeMelo's cap hit is still less than half of those other two. Retention is irrelevant.

I thought DeMelo would get a little more, I thought the consensus was that at the very best he was going to return a 2nd. A 3rd round pick is not all that far off, the overreactions are par for the course for these parts though.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Waste of a 3rd

Nothing against DeMelo but what is Winnipeg going to accomplish by doing this.

EDIT: on a second thought, i guess you have to do something so you can go "don't say i never did nothing for ya".. if you got to do something not the worst thing in the world but i just think it's likely that the Jets miss the playoffs and even if they decide to keep him, he's not the guy they need.
Add depth simple. Depth is key in a run and push for playoffs . Good move

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad