Confirmed Trade: [WPG/OTT] Dylan DeMelo for 2020 3rd round pick

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Pierre Dorion special. Never even offered him a contract took a 3rd with a week left before the deadline. This screams of a guy with 12 players on expriring contracts that did absolutely no work and is now panicking because he has no time to either sign or trade all these players.

Seriously? We have heard rumors for weeks, and you think that Dorion suddenly decided to trade him? The fact that he was never offered a contract, suggests the contrary.
You can hate the deal if you like, but there is nothing to suggest this wasn't the plan.

Dorion was on the radio last week, and specifically mentioned some of the UFAs would end up staying (so that they don't have to recall players from Belleville) and that others would be moved.
So no, he doesn't have a week to move or sign 12 players.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Winnipeg is going to miss the playoffs by 1 point because they didn't do this a month ago.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Seriously? We have heard rumors for weeks, and you think that Dorion suddenly decided to trade him? The fact that he was never offered a contract, suggests the contrary.
You can hate the deal if you like, but there is nothing to suggest this wasn't the plan.

Dorion was on the radio last week, and specifically mentioned some of the UFAs would end up staying (so that they don't have to recall players from Belleville) and that others would be moved.
So no, he doesn't have a week to move or sign 12 players.

Everyone else here thinks the sens got ripped off.

How can you spin that not negotiating is a good move when you have this many players on expiring contracts?

Reactions: LudwigVonKarlsson

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
That's an awful return for the Senators, DeMelo is a really solid defenseman. Good #4/5 guy, but I'm not sure he moves the needle much for the Jets overall.

Wow this is a disappointing return, how in the hell does a 37 year old Andy Greene get more. PD sure loves making trades with the West because hes afraid of getting schooled by any of his Eastern GM counterparts.

Reactions: hn777

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Good value for the Jets, ideally Jets sign him now. Well done Chevy.

I wouldn’t want to give up anything of high value for a rental but a 3rd is super cheap even if he doesn’t resign.

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
I don’t have access to his rapm charts but by looking at his usage and corsi differential, he looks good. Good haul by winnipeg and surprised dubas did not jump on it although that may have been due to cap.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Wow this is a disappointing return, how in the hell does a 37 year old Andy Greene get more. PD sure loves making trades with the West because hes afraid of getting schooled by any of his Eastern GM counterparts.

Greene ticks off a lot of boxes - playoff (+SCF) experience, veteran presence, leadership.

Demelo is relatively unproven. It's extremely hard to gauge exactly what a guy like Demelo is, playing the minutes he does on a bottom feeder.

He may end up being a better player than Greene, but with Greene you know what you're getting, and that's a list of things GM's appreciate.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Everyone else here thinks the sens got ripped off.

How can you spin that not negotiating is a good move when you have this many players on expiring contracts?

I'm not spinning anything. I didnt say it was good that they didn't extend an offer, I said that clearly that was the plan.

Not everyone here thinks they were ripped off.
Was DeMelo ever going to return a 1st Rd Pick? Sens fans would have been happy with a 2nd Rd pick, and we got a 3rd.
So the value between a 2nd Rd Pick and a 3rd changes the deal from a Win to a ripoff? Come on.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'm not spinning anything. I didnt say it was good that they didn't extend an offer, I said that clearly that was the plan.

Not everyone here thinks they were ripped off.
Was DeMelo ever going to return a 1st Rd Pick? Sens fans would have been happy with a 2nd Rd pick, and we got a 3rd.
So the value between a 2nd Rd Pick and a 3rd changes the deal from a Win to a ripoff? Come on.

Andy Greene just went for a 2nd plus a prospect. He is 37 years old plays LD and makes more money on the cap. Demelo has been a solid top 4 all season long, I wasnt expecting a 1st no one was but once that value is established why move him with so much time left for a 3rd?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Demelo isn't great but we need him way, way more than we need a third.

Absolute garbage of a trade for us. Decent trade for Winnipeg, they will like him.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto

Yeah Jarmo sure fleeced him at the deadline last year.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Greene fits the bill on a lot of things. Can see why he'd be attractive for the Islanders, moreso than Demelo would be to most of the league.

I can't speak for DeMelo... but for the Isles Greene is definitely more attractive. Isles have depth at RD, but are suffering from injuries on LD. One of those injuries is to Adam Pelech, a really unsung anchor to their defense. There was a chart that compared Pelech's vs. Greene's usage and they lined up very comparable.

So with that said I agree with you. DeMelo may appear more valuable to most, but Greene is easily the more attractive option to the Isles... why the "overpayment" of a second rounder.

Reactions: Rhaegar Targaryen

jrs

Oct 11, 2017
I’m hoping Chevy wasn’t going to waste assets for potentially High heart break but I’m okay with this

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
That's an awful return for the Senators, DeMelo is a really solid defenseman. Good #4/5 guy, but I'm not sure he moves the needle much for the Jets overall.
He's a bottom pairing dman to be honest. Was hoping for a 2nd rounder instead of a third. He's also a UFA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad