Confirmed Trade: [WPG/OTT] Dylan DeMelo for 2020 3rd round pick

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Waste of a 3rd

Nothing against DeMelo but what is Winnipeg going to accomplish by doing this.

EDIT: on a second thought, i guess you have to do something so you can go "don't say i never did nothing for ya".. if you got to do something not the worst thing in the world but i just think it's likely that the Jets miss the playoffs and even if they decide to keep him, he's not the guy they need.

It's a depth pickup. DeMelo won't carry a team deep into the POs. But he will help a team get there. Overall I think it's a really smart low risk high reward pickup that could really end up helping Winnipeg. And if it doesn't work out, whatever... it's a 3rd rounder.

Reactions: larmex99 and hn777

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Yes he’s very steady. Can be a #4 but should be on the bottom pairing. Not a lot of offense but solid defensively and doesn’t make a lot of mistakes. He makes his defense partner better so he should be paired with an offensive minded guy.

Sami Niku and him would be the bottom pair then.

That look's alright then :)

For the Jets

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
I thought Demelo would at least garner a 2nd. I'd insult Dorion here, but I'm pretty confident no team was willing to part with a 2nd for him if it ended up being Winnipeg.
I’ll insult Dorion here.

He’s an idiot who is too stupid to realize if you aren’t getting the offers on a product you are looking for.....don’t sell the product.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
It's a depth pickup. DeMelo won't carry a team deep into the POs. But he will help a team get there. Overall I think it's a really smart low risk high reward pickup that could really end up helping Winnipeg. And if it doesn't work out, whatever... it's a 3rd rounder.

I know what it is, but i also don't think the Jets are in a place where they can go "whatever 3rd rounder". It'll take time to build that d-core and in a few years Wheeler is going to slow down. If the Jets want to be relevant in the future and avoid mediocrity, 3-4 years from now there has to be a healthy pool of young guys coming in and making an impact, and this is the time when you draft those guys. 3rd rounder might amount to nothing, but it may also be your next glue middle 6er or 2nd pairing defenseman.

Could always give DeMelo a call on July 1st. This season is just one of those years with Buff not playing, Little shut down for the season etc. I understand the GM wanting to help out the team but at the same time acquiring DeMelo isn't going to fool anyone into thinking this is anything more but a 1st round exit team at best.

Normally i couldn't care less about 3rd rounders but i think the Jets are in a somewhat unique situation. But that's just me.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I’ll insult Dorion here.

He’s an idiot who is too stupid to realize if you aren’t getting the offers on a product you are looking for.....don’t sell the product.

So better to lose one's product for nothing?

Quality advice there, tips.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Dorion likely would have gotten more if he simply waited until the deadline. By that point, Dillon, Martinez, and Scandella would have been traded, very likely upping the price on DeMelo.

Or lowering it because 3 teams that wanted a depth defenseman already made their moves.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I know what it is, but i also don't think the Jets are in a place where they can go "whatever 3rd rounder". It'll take time to build that d-core and in a few years Wheeler is going to slow down. If the Jets want to be relevant in the future and avoid mediocrity, 3-4 years from now there has to be a healthy pool of young guys coming in and making an impact, and this is the time when you draft those guys. 3rd rounder might amount to nothing, but it may also be your next glue middle 6er or 2nd pairing defenseman.

Could always give DeMelo a call on July 1st. This season is just one of those years with Buff not playing, Little shut down for the season etc. I understand the GM wanting to help out the team but at the same time acquiring DeMelo isn't going to fool anyone into thinking this is anything more but a 1st round exit team at best.

Normally i couldn't care less about 3rd rounders but i think the Jets are in a somewhat unique situation. But that's just me.
3rd rounders likely bust 90% of the time vs help getting into playoffs and a 50/50 shot at re-signing him this is a no brainer. I think the time to worry about 3to4 years into the future for the jets was 3to4 years ago. We have plenty of young dcore on the system. I will take a proven hockey player virtually tied for the last playoff spot over someone who has a 90% chance of never playing in league every time.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Dorion likely would have gotten more if he simply waited until the deadline. By that point, Dillon, Martinez, and Scandella would have been traded, very likely upping the price on DeMelo.

I dont know about that. Dorion knew which teams were interested and saw a few of those teams go other routes early. Waiting doesn’t magically make other teams interested in a player. There isn’t an infinite number of teams always going to be interested. The list was likely dwindling and Dorion made a deal before it was too late.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
3rd rounders likely bust 90% of the time vs help getting into playoffs and a 50/50 shot at re-signing him this is a no brainer. I think the time to worry about 3to4 years into the future for the jets was 3to4 years ago. We have plenty of young dcore on the system. I will take a proven hockey player virtually tied for the last playoff spot over someone who has a 90% chance of never playing in league every time.

I don't think the trade has much to do with a chance to re-sign him. If the Jets really want him next summer, they'll have a great chance regardless. It's not like DeMelo's phone will blow up with comparable offers.

The only thing DeMelo has proven in the league is that he can play well on a bottom feeder, without the pressure of playoff standings, getting good teams' questionable efforts. Last time he was on a playoff team they didn't qualify him nor did he crack the lineup on a regular basis. DeBoer chose to play Joakim Ryan 2 minutes more per game.

Things can change, maybe he can carry over confidence from Ottawa, play well in Winnipeg, re-sign and continue to play well in the future and making a name for himself. That's a lot of ifs, but it's possible. There's also the bad scenario where he looks better than he ultimately is on this short stretch and the Jets give him a contract he doesn't live up to turning the whole thing into a lost pick and overpaid player (if the Jets think he's a #4 at the end of the year, considering UFA prices, would it surprise anyone if they signed him to 3M per or something?). Happened before in similar situations.

I still think he's nothing more than a 3rd pairing defenseman on a team looking to go on a playoff run. I can understand why Sens fans like anyone who shows any competence, but i wouldn't be up in arms excited acquiring that type of player.

I don't see this as much different as the Islanders wasting a 3rd rounder for Brandon Davidson a couple years ago and ultimately missing the playoffs. DeMelo might be the better player, but the situation is the same.

Anyway, it's not a big deal. What im more afraid of is the Jets not bolstering the D in the summer and rolling with Poolman/DeMelo as their top 4 RHD's thinking it'll be fine just because both guys have played well this year.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
DeMelo gets a 3rd while Scandella gets a 2nd and Martinez gets 2 2nds is a bit mindboggling. Well done Chevy.

EDIT: Oh it looks like DeMelo has no term

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
At least we were not on his no trade list. lofl

tenor.gif
Too young to have one.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

I think the key variable here is the chance of signing him before UFA if he is a good fit. Hard to say what premium Chevy puts on that or how likely it is. But I think it's a low enough risk to take for how big of a hole on our team it is.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I don't think the trade has much to do with a chance to re-sign him. If the Jets really want him next summer, they'll have a great chance regardless. It's not like DeMelo's phone will blow up with comparable offers.

Depends on what those offers are... but I think you'll be surprised with what he gets come summer. I could easily see GMs being interested in him in the 2.5-3m range with term as a 4/5D who can play most situations and against quality opposition and not look out of place.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Depends on what those offers are... but I think you'll be surprised with what he gets come summer. I could easily see GMs being interested in him in the 2.5-3m range with term as a 4/5D who can play most situations and against quality opposition and not look out of place.
If he pans out, Chevy will have him signed by free agency. This trade will end up looking like a steal.

Reactions: Riptide

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
He's looked great so far IMO, especially tonight - very calm and collected while making clean moves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad