Confirmed with Link: [WPG/NYR] Hayes for 2019 1st, (F) Brendan Lemieux & Cond. 2022 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Someone will probably pay 7x7 and good on them. I don't think it will be the Rangers.

Brooks says all but says Zibanejad and Hayes as your two best players isn't enough to win a championship, and yet in his freestyle he wants to commit more than $12 million per year and a pair of NMCs to that effort.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The return is ok, but I would have preferred signing him. Actually, what Gorton should have done was give Hayes a 2 year deal. Then, we would probably get a 1st rounder and a very good prospect for him at this deadline.
Hayes would never do that.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Someone will probably pay 7x7 and good on them. I don't think it will be the Rangers.

Brooks says all but says Zibanejad and Hayes as your two best players isn't enough to win a championship, and yet in his freestyle he wants to commit more than $12 million per year and a pair of NMCs to that effort.

I’m pretty sure a few of us here have been making that same argument as to why the Rangers shouldn’t re-sign Hayes. And, I’m still under the belief that the other top six center still isn’t in the organization.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

Also he seems to have forgotten that Kreider exists.

Lots of issues with that article imo but thats not unusual for Brooks

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Larry is Old man yelling at cloud. He's completely out of touch with reality.

Larry just stick to what you know at this point, writing articles kissing Lamirello's ass and reminiscing about the glory days of the pre-cap Devils.

Last edited:

Gresch04

Feb 12, 2009
Mika game has taken a big step forward but he's still 33rd in scoring. Given the overall jump in scoring this year a PPG looks good on the Rangers but is not elite. We still don't have a true 1C.

Hayes' overall game is still a 2C at best and I'd take Mika all day long over Hayes. So paying Hayes $6-7M is crazy.

I'd rather roll the dice on a late 1st that gets packaged for a real 1C and hope the kid we got is a bottom 6 who can actually score 15+ goals vs. good effort/low output guys like Fast, Names, and the like.

Reactions: Leetch3

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Also, Kevin Hayes was drafted 24th overall in 2010. So I'd say there remains a strong possibility that the player drafted around that area by us this year can be as good as he is.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Yep. You can't just trade everykne for picks because eventually we'll probably need a Kevin Hayes.

Oh well, just have to hope we hit on the picks.

You are of course right.

However, if we go back 10-15 years it was really hard to get players. Now players are available, but the cap space is the big key.

Gorton will have all the ammo in the world to get involved in trades for players too.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
The person picked with that pick has a dramatically higher chance of being good and cheap when we actually need it. That’s why this deal happened.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Also, Kevin Hayes was drafted 24th overall in 2010. So I'd say there remains a strong possibility that the player drafted around that area by us this year can be as good as he is.
For a 24th pick Hayes has done extremely well, so I think it's unlikely we do as well next time.

So far, since Hayes, Konecny is the best player selected at 24. It's not a great group.

Last edited:

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
Will that 1st round pick develop into a Hayes caliber player? There is a better chance he doesnt than does.

While I understand this sentiment, I don't think the priority right now is to worry about who you're drafting in June and whether or not they become a Hayes-caliber player by 2022 or so. Gorton & Co are focused on consolidating assets and turning what they believe are players who do not help their rebuild, into assets that do help. This trade certainly accomplishes that goal. And after the dust settles, they now have more options. Whether it's selecting the player at the top of their list with Winnipeg's 1st, or packaging that pick to move up for their guy or move it for another player.

Squarp

Ranger for Life
Feb 19, 2012
The people complaining the draft pick won't be as good as Hayes are the same people that would complain we can't sign a free agent or one of our younger players because Hayes's cap hit is too high. You can't please everyone. Plus you don't even know if hayes wanted to sign long term here.

Gresch04

Feb 12, 2009

Hayes was the 24th pick yet is 10th in PPG among forwards. The odds are against doing that well with a late first. Still like the trade for other reasons.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
The more I dwell on it the more I'm starting to think that Hayes just was never in their long-term plans. He's a guy you take advantage of while he's still getting paid peanuts but stay as far away as possible from once the time comes for him to get paid.

I wish him well but the Rangers probably did the right thing here .

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I get it now.

Gorton wanted to break a record by coming up with something more useless than future considerations.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Like it or not, the Rangers are always going to be interested in toughness.

If they are, I'd rather they trade for young, controlled ruffians than do stupid shit like McQuaid or bring in absolute garbage like McLeod.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Larry is Old man yelling at cloud. He's completely out of touch with reality.

Larry just stick to what you know at this point, writing articles kissing Lamirello's ass and reminiscing about the glory days of the pre-cap Devils.

Im not sure what the problem is? If anything, I think his latest article covers all the bases without taking too firm of a stand on anything.

And quite frankly, after today, we should begin wondering as fans what the longer-term strategy is. To trade all expiring contracts, hope to rebuild through late 1st round picks (and beyond), and get super lucky in the lottery? I sure hope there's more to it - because pretty soon we won't have a player worth a lick on this roster outside of Zibanejad

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Something I wanted Gorton to add to this rebuild is a real piece of shit player for trolling. Idk if Lemieux is that? His AHL stats last season are nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad