Confirmed with Link: [WPG/NYR] Hayes for 2019 1st, (F) Brendan Lemieux & Cond. 2022 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
I'm sorry but this is broken logic. You're comparing the first of a PO bound team, the only 'buyers', to a bottom feeder? I'd rather a late first from a PO bound team than a late second from a PO bound team because those are the only options. Sure, I'd rather a first from a bottom 10 team versus a PO team, but no one's giving you a top 10 pick for a pending UFA at the TDL.

Hope for the Jets to lose quickly so the pick isn't as low.

Right but the first will not be high. That's my only point. In all seriousness, I like the trade but let's not pretend we got a high first round pick.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Right but the first will not be high. That's my only point. In all seriousness, I like the trade but let's not pretend we got a high first round pick.
A first rounder is a first rounder. Sure, the higher the better, but first round is not the second or the third.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
For sure. I think you just need to realize off the bat that any first we get will be towards the end of the round. And if a PO team happens to have a bottom feeder's first pick, then the value of that pick skyrockets. CK would/should return a high value first rounder like that as he's a young, fast, big, strong, tough along the boards, did I mention fast, first liner with little injury history and not a pending UFA. No one else on the team (aside from Zbad) would bring that value back.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Gone: McQuaid

My pontentials: Claesson, Names, Vesey, Shatty, Smith (party), Strome
Made me think of Pulijarvi (pool party). Seems Edmonton is attaching Pulijarvi to Lucic's hips. Poor kid will never get out of jail, if that is the case. Has to be a way though.

Teams should be granted ONE more buyout this CBA. Get rid of the dead wood, and raise the quality of the league. For the Rangers to be "this competitive", doesn't say much for the rest of league.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Why do people always say this? The first is a first, not “might as well be a second”. A low first is a low first, and a high second is a high second.
People have the false belief that the draft is a complete crapshoot and ignore the realities that 1st rounders have better chances becoming NHLers than 2nd rounders. And 2nd rounders have a better chance than third, etc.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
But for all intents and purposes the end of the first round and the start of the second could literally be one pick so that's why it is said.
We were arguing about the value of getting a late 3rd for McQuaid yesterday, given we traded our own (early) 4th and a 7th for him. I think it's understood. I mean it's the TDL, the only teams giving up firsts for rentals would be contenders, and it's generally understood the picks will be towards the ends of the rounds.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
We were arguing about the value of getting a late 3rd for McQuaid yesterday, given we traded our own (early) 4th and a 7th for him. I think it's understood. I mean it's the TDL, the only teams giving up firsts for rentals would be contenders, and it's generally understood the picks will be towards the ends of the rounds.
Yea it's more of an expectations thing.

"oO first round pick you say eh? SEXY AF"
*salivates at chance of landing Hughes*
"...LATE first round you say?!? Now that wasn't a part the deal EF THAT!!!"

....yes, yes it was....from the start....

Reactions: nyr2k2

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
There is very little difference in value between the 30th or 31st pick (1st round) and the 32nd pick (2nd round).

There is a massive difference between the the 30th or 31st pick (1st round) and the 62nd pick (2nd round).

Something tells me teams like Ottawa, LA and NJ wouldn't give up their 2nd rounder for a few months of Hayes.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Is the 31st pick more valuable than it used to be now that it's a first round pick?

I'd argue the pick it self has always the same value, based on the potential pool of prospects available.

The nominality of the pick - be it the first of the 2nd rd. or the last of the 1 st rd - has nothing to do with the value of the pick.

Everything else is informational uncertainty.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
IIRC The pick actually does have a different value, only first round picks who are not signed, turn into a compensation pick.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Is the 31st pick more valuable than it used to be now that it's a first round pick?
I would think adding seven picks to the draft makes them all incrementally less valuable, no? The pool of players stays the same, but the means with which to acquire the players increases, making them all worth slightly less? I mean, a totally negligible amount, but still. Although I'm f***ing awful with statistics so I could be totally wrong.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
The return is ok, but I would have preferred signing him. Actually, what Gorton should have done was give Hayes a 2 year deal. Then, we would probably get a 1st rounder and a very good prospect for him at this deadline.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Will that 1st round pick develop into a Hayes caliber player? There is a better chance he doesnt than does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland