Confirmed with Link: [WPG/NYR] Hayes for 2019 1st, (F) Brendan Lemieux & Cond. 2022 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Big and heavy team, when they can get a hold of the opponents they are unstoppable. On the flip side, when they don’t they will look awful (kind of like LAK).

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I watched 2 periods of the Jets game tonight to see Kevin. What an absolute mess. On paper, the Jets have it all, including perhaps the best center depth in the league. But watching that team play: serious coaching and systems issues. Stretch/"hope" passes all over the ice, multiple odd man rushes against each period, 40 shots against, terrible PK, and just very lackadaisical in defensive zone. Eerily similar to the AV brand of hockey. They lost to the Wild, who are below them in the standings. Just look at the Jets forum post game thread, it's almost despair over there with how bad their coach is. Contender? That team might not even make the playoffs if they repeat that performance for the rest of the season.

Feeling grateful to have DQ. I seriously forgot how frustrating it was watching a team give up 40+ shots every night and grade-a odd man rushes every 5 minutes.
They should have fired Maurice a while ago, they’re AVing it with that guy. They had the same issue with Noel, just holding onto mediocre coaches for too long.

Reactions: TheGortonConspiracy

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
The big mistake with Hayes was giving him only a 1 year contract, they should have done at least 2 years then he would have returned a much bigger package

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Yea there was talk Hayes wanted 5 years 6 mill per from rangers before the trade
That’s still a 2C salary. I guess JG doesn’t see Hayes as a 2C on a Cup winner. Not sure I agree, personally, but I can see not wanting to lock that in at that point in time. That was prior to the rebuild getting ramped up with Panarin, Kakko, and, Lafrenière. Not to mention ADA blossoming and getting Trouba and Fox. So much changed in a year-plus.

Reactions: bl02

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Ultimately it was Hayes and Pionk for Trouba and Lemieux (and a conditional 4th in 2022).

Hayes had 13 points in 20 games for Winnipeg and finished the year with 55, but then signed with Philly. He had 41 points in 69 games last year, so he paced for 49. He’s a good all around player. I don’t think we’d feel set or satisfied with him as our long term 2C though. At 7.14M for 6 years... He averages basically 44-49 points per season.

Pionk got 3M a year for 2 years as well after the trade. So 10.14M between them last year. Trouba and Lemieux cost us 8.925M last year and will probably cost us about 9.5M this year.

Last year:
Pionk: 45 points @3m
Hayes: 41 points @7.14M
Trouba: 27 points @8M
Lemieux: 18 points @925k

Pionk would be redundant on this team with Fox, ADA and Lundkvist all in the system, but had himself a nice year statistically. He’s not a good defender, but 45 points in a shortened season from a young RH defender is still pretty solid. Hayes won’t ever live up to that contract. He gets 600k more than Kreider and puts up 10-15 points less. Sure, he’s an adequate center and good two way player, but that’s a lot of money for a borderline 50 point guy. Philly fans seem happy with his play, but not price tag. Trouba also won’t live up to his contract. We can hope, however, that as the team matures he finds some of his offense again. He needs a non-rookie to help out with the tougher assignments and share the load. He’s not an 8M guy though. Lemieux needs a new contract but brings something we needed. So far he’s been fine as a 4th liner but I’d like to see him a bit more engaged and given a chance to be a legitimate third line guy who can chip in some goals.

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
Ultimately it was Hayes and Pionk for Trouba and Lemieux (and a conditional 4th in 2022).

Hayes had 13 points in 20 games for Winnipeg and finished the year with 55, but then signed with Philly. He had 41 points in 69 games last year, so he paced for 49. He’s a good all around player. I don’t think we’d feel set or satisfied with him as our long term 2C though. At 7.14M for 6 years... He averages basically 44-49 points per season.

Pionk got 3M a year for 2 years as well after the trade. So 10.14M between them last year. Trouba and Lemieux cost us 8.925M last year and will probably cost us about 9.5M this year.

Last year:
Pionk: 45 points @3m
Hayes: 41 points @7.14M
Trouba: 27 points @8M
Lemieux: 18 points @925k

Pionk would be redundant on this team with Fox, ADA and Lundkvist all in the system, but had himself a nice year statistically. He’s not a good defender, but 45 points in a shortened season from a young RH defender is still pretty solid. Hayes won’t ever live up to that contract. He gets 600k more than Kreider and puts up 10-15 points less. Sure, he’s an adequate center and good two way player, but that’s a lot of money for a borderline 50 point guy. Philly fans seem happy with his play, but not price tag. Trouba also won’t live up to his contract. We can hope, however, that as the team matures he finds some of his offense again. He needs a non-rookie to help out with the tougher assignments and share the load. He’s not an 8M guy though. Lemieux needs a new contract but brings something we needed. So far he’s been fine as a 4th liner but I’d like to see him a bit more engaged and given a chance to be a legitimate third line guy who can chip in some goals.

I would prefer Trouba focus on being a defensive horse. If he can put up 35 to 40 points and be reliable on defense like McD then it's a W. He's not going to get 1PP time, and even 2PP is questionable with our forward depth. Not many players put up over 40 points without top PP minutes.

Trouba admits the transition didnt go as well as he wanted. He's never been THE GUY before and now with Staal gone there will even be a leadership void he needs to fill. This year will either be his opportunity to live up to his ceiling or possibly getting moved before the next off season.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Lemieux needs a new contract but brings something we needed. So far he’s been fine as a 4th liner but I’d like to see him a bit more engaged and given a chance to be a legitimate third line guy who can chip in some goals.

Here, here! Wasnt it Lemieux who seemed out of shape and NOT ready for those type 3rd line minutes when we first acquired him? Would LOVE for him to live up to what he possibly could bring offensively, but hasnt really done so thus far. Seems he will be relegated to 4th, UNLESS......lets just hope he is in tip top shape to grab more playing time on 3rd.

If things really pan out on our 3rd line......there simply not even be room for him on the 3rd. Imo.

Last edited:

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
Yes but can Lemieux DO THIS

what im trying to figure out is who was #6 and why there is a "C" on that jersey in the background......

Wasn't Hollweg there during the Jagr/Drury era? Thats numbers 68 and 23

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Lemieux needs a new contract but brings something we needed. So far he’s been fine as a 4th liner but I’d like to see him a bit more engaged and given a chance to be a legitimate third line guy who can chip in some goals.
Here, here! Wasnt it Lemieux who seemed out of shape and NOT ready for those type 3rd line minutes when we first acquired him? Would LOVE for him to live up to what he possibly could bring offensively, but hasnt really done so thus far. Seems he will be relegated to 4th, UNLESS......lets just hope he is in tip top shape to grab more playing time on 3rd.

If things really pan out on our 3rd line......there simply not even be room for him on the 3rd. Imo.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Thread is old. Hayes talk can be had in the Around the nhl thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad