Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Jacob Trouba signs (2 years, $3M AAV)

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Agreed. Most of the people here seem blissfully unaware of that as of yet however. Suspect some fans from other teams may still be waiting for a trade several years from now.
I suspect if he isn't traded, a lot of Jets fans will be pretty disappointed down the road when he walks as a UFA.´

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
He's doing pregame skate and addressing media. Sounds like he might play today

There goes more of the narrative that he will soon be traded right out the window. If the plan was a sign & trade, they wouldn't risk an injury by using him.

It is like Mckenzie said, they didn't trade him because they can't replace him in trade. He fills a need, and in my view the intent is surely to extend him going forward - barring an amazing trade offer that prompts a move.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
There goes more of the narrative that he will soon be traded right out the window. If the plan was a sign & trade, they wouldn't risk an injury by using him.

Turris played six games for Arizona after his holdout. Then got traded.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I suspect if he isn't traded, a lot of Jets fans will be pretty disappointed down the road when he walks as a UFA.´

There is not a chance that he walks as a UFA. Chevy has 4 years to figure out what to do with him, and if he won't sign long term with the Jets he'll trade him long before he gets close to UFA status.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace

Yes, but the Turris situation was much uglier with tons of anger on both sides. I don't see much anger coming from the Winnipeg franchise thus far. We'll see how the player reacts going forward I guess, ya' never know, either way.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Trouba addressess Jets biggest need, with him their core is pretty much set and age wise he's a perfect fit for that core.

Laine, Scheifele, Ehlers, Connor, Morrissey, Trouba, Helle, 18-23y, in few years Buff will give up his top pairing role when Trouba is starting his prime. If Chevy trades Trouba he needs to somehow find a player like Trouba one way or another.

I can't really see Chevy wanting to trade Trouba.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
I don't think Trouba gets traded after this signing. The only trade that still makes sense in my mind is Skjei + 2 1sts for Trouba, but I don't think either side wants that are Jets think Trouba is worth more and Rangers think Skjei is worth more.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Yes, but the Turris situation was much uglier with tons of anger on both sides. I don't see much anger coming from the Winnipeg franchise thus far. We'll see how the player reacts going forward I guess, ya' never know, either way.

Turris was traded because he sulked after signing and turned in half efforts on the ice, cratering his trade value in the process. No indications anger from the franchise had anything to do with being traded, and all media reports from the beginning and throughout were the team expected it to be Turris' breakout season with no interest in trading him.

That doesn't imply anything for how Trouba will handle the situation. Just clarifying what happened with Turris.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
There is not a chance that he walks as a UFA. Chevy has 4 years to figure out what to do with him, and if he won't sign long term with the Jets he'll trade him long before he gets close to UFA status.
And if they struggle to re-sign him again? Let's say he signs a 1-year deal after this one and keeps wanting out. Trade value won't get higher. The shorter he is locked up and the closer he is to UFA the less value he has. The only way not trading him soon works out well for the Jets is if they manage to change his mind and lock him up long-term. Depending on the exact reasons Trouba wants out that may be possible, but word is he has been wanting out for a while so why think it's going to change in a year? There's also the question about how much of a good thing it is for the Jets to basically force a guy to play for them. Must be great for the lockerroom to know he doesn't want to be there.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Trouba addressess Jets biggest need, with him their core is pretty much set and age wise he's a perfect fit for that core.

Laine, Scheifele, Ehlers, Connor, Morrissey, Trouba, Helle, 18-23y, in few years Buff will give up his top pairing role when Trouba is starting his prime. If Chevy trades Trouba he needs to somehow find a player like Trouba one way or another.

I can't really see Chevy wanting to trade Trouba.

He never wanted to because he knew he wouldn't get a fair deal because of the salary and cap issues. Trouba is way easier to trade now and Chevy can get a better deal back. The real question is what did he agree to behind the scenes to get the deal done. Maybe just more minutes, right side only or agree to keep trying to trade him. Only the shadow knows.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

I'm sure Chevy is well aware how that has turned out for Arizona since. mistake CBJ and Coyotes made was they blinked and let emotion of a hardball agent get to them.

Jets are bottom third of the league in GA. Trouba should help with that.

Also, Morrissey playing like a solid 2nd pair puck mover negates the need to have Trouba play the left side. He will have to compete with Myers for 2nd pair when he's back, but until then there is 25 mins a game with Enstrom for the taking.

aj8000

Jun 5, 2010
And if they struggle to re-sign him again? Let's say he signs a 1-year deal after this one and keeps wanting out. Trade value won't get higher. The shorter he is locked up and the closer he is to UFA the less value he has. The only way not trading him soon works out well for the Jets is if they manage to change his mind and lock him up long-term. Depending on the exact reasons Trouba wants out that may be possible, but word is he has been wanting out for a while so why think it's going to change in a year? There's also the question about how much of a good thing it is for the Jets to basically force a guy to play for them. Must be great for the lockerroom to know he doesn't want to be there.

you are just bitter that he was not traded to the red wings. give it a break:shakehead

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Like I said from the get go, the most likely outcome in these scenarios is always that nothing happens.

I think many posting here is a bit younger, but when you have followed 20 situations like the ones we have seen with Drouin and Trouba and seen how like 10-15 of them ends up with the player staying put, you know that this more or less always applies how infectious the situation.

With that said, I definitely do not think that Trouba or Winnipeg at this point are convinced to go forward and live happily ever after if you get what I mean. But, for all we know Trouba can be Winnipeg's No 1 D in a month of two while the team is climbing in the standings like a rocket or something like that. Stuff like that can make him change his mind.

Also, I know that many in Winnipeg completely cannot stand Jacob Trouba and really hates his guts. At least many have posted in this thread that they even rather see Trouba hurt than Winnipeg gain. BUT, I also think it is very important to remember that Cheevy -- traded -- for a top 4 RD very recently. People can talk about how players and kids must pay their dues and how much they should shut up and work hard. But reality is that you can't achieve much unless the team really makes way for you and pushes you forward. Like how many kids haven't we seen really really been nurtured by their team and great result come from it? Trouba OTOH saw his GM go out of his way to get an established top 4 D that surely would push him back the depth chart really hard.

Last edited:

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Turris was traded because he sulked after signing and turned in half efforts on the ice, cratering his trade value in the process. No indications anger from the franchise had anything to do with being traded, and all media reports from the beginning and throughout were the team expected it to be Turris' breakout season with no interest in trading him.

That doesn't imply anything for how Trouba will handle the situation. Just clarifying what happened with Turris.

If Trouba takes the same route, I can only see him being suspended.

I doubt it happens though. Chevy didn't find a trade before, so if Trouba wants to make it worse, he's also not going to get traded any sooner. On top of that, he's on a bridge deal, which generally means that you are playing for a massive 3rd contract. Maybe it's just me, but not giving 100% now seems like a stupid risk to take.

Everything is possible. We'll see what happens.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Phew, major crisis avoided for all parties concerned.

Pretty sweet deal cash wise for the next two years for WPG or whoever ends up with him for the bulk of the deal, but man he is going to get paid next time around.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Phew, major crisis avoided for all parties concerned.

Pretty sweet deal cash wise for the next two years for WPG or whoever ends up with him for the bulk of the deal, but man he is going to get paid next time around.

Chevy has in a way quite effectively poisoned the well. He has little reason to trade him now while Trouba is on such a cheap ticket unless the return is an elite young player that replaces him, period. He won't be had cheaply on contract going forward either, as you stated, Trouba is in line for a big deal now. That cuts some franchises out that assumed they could sign him at a realistic long-term figure right now.

One team that has their books set up to pay Trouba handsomely on an extension - and as early as on July 1, 2017? The Winnipeg Jets.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
I suspect we hear news sooner about Trouba and Overhardt parting ways than we do about Trouba and the Jets parting ways.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Chevy has in a way quite effectively poisoned the well. He has little reason to trade him now while Trouba is on such a cheap ticket unless the return is an elite young player that replaces him, period. He won't be had cheaply on contract going forward either, as you stated, Trouba is in line for a big deal now. That cuts some franchises out that assumed they could sign him at a realistic long-term figure right now.

One team that has their books set up to pay Trouba handsomely on an extension - and as early as on July 1, 2017? The Winnipeg Jets.

Why do you want to keep a player who doesn't want to be there?

When you get an offer that is good enough, you move him. He doesn't want to be there.

Unless something changes, why would he sign long term there? I just don't understand your mindset on wanting to keep him no matter what.. but you are a delusional fan so it's not too shocking.

You believe Chevy is one of the best GM's in the league, don't you? It's crazy man, it's crazy to read.

aj8000

Jun 5, 2010
why do you want to keep a player who doesn't want to be there?

When you get an offer that is good enough, you move him. He doesn't want to be there.

Unless something changes, why would he sign long term there? I just don't understand your mindset on wanting to keep him no matter what.. But you are a delusional fan so it's not too shocking.

You believe chevy is one of the best gm's in the league, don't you? It's crazy man, it's crazy to read.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

I think you underestimate the remaining issues here because you want to see Trouba in a Jets uniform. Which is more than understandable.

Trouba still has a lady friend who will be attending med school in the US. I don't know if you are married/have a serious gf, or know people that have been in med school, but that isn't a situation where she can fly up to WPG for the weekend and that's Trouba's real life. And, no offense, she sure ain't going to med school in WPG.

If Trouba didn't want out, they would have signed long term.

Going bridge is the right move for Chevy and for Trouba, but it's not what the Jets or Trouba wanted. The pressure is off Chevy so he can be patient and get a better return, but it's still highly likely that Trouba is gone before the draft. In fact, given now that teams know they can't pressure Chevy into making a deal on the cheap, you may, like Turris, see a deal materialize in shorter than expected order.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad