Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Jacob Trouba signs (2 years, $3M AAV)

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Pretty sure it's stipulated in the contract, No Canadian teams.

That can't be stipulated in this contract as he does not have a NMC/NTC. There may be an understanding not to trade him to a Canadian team, but they can technically do it if they wanted to.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Pretty sure it's stipulated in the contract, No Canadian teams.

I don't think players under a certain age are permitted to have NTC in their contracts as per the CBA????? They could have a gentlemans agreement but not sure it can be in the contract???

I may be wrong but I think I read that somewhere

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The aav isn't amazing for a bridge deal. imo his value would've been higher with a long term deal in place because he'll have to be signed long term after already going through a rough negotiation. Someone want to explain why a bridge deal would boost trade value significantly?
Yeah I think you're right. People just see the cap hit and think every team will offer up a huge package to try and land him. But it's less than 2 years and he has to be re-signed. And how many teams can feel confident that they can get him extended without the same problems the Jets have gone through? Trouba wants to be in the US, that excludes a bunch of teams. He favors the Michigan area, that again narrows down the amount of teams that feel they have a good chance to re-sign him long-term. And he wants to be given a big role as RHD, so you can pretty much remove any team that has the #1RD position locked up.

Jets aren't going to get the kind of trade value they think out of this guy.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
I'll start by saying I don't disagree that it looks like an easy, attractive contract to trade, and benefits both parties.

However, Uncle Bobby Mac seems to think talk of a trade is over analyzing and that we won't see anything come of this is the near future. Mainly because, if Trouba was willing to take this deal in Winnipeg then he surely would have been willing to take it elsewhere. As an RFA, both he and Overhardt have the right to talk with other teams to a certain degree, correct? So what stopped him from talking to, let's say Red Wings, and coming to a ballpark number so Red Wings would feel confident to put in a meaningful trade request to Chevy?

Could it be that this was in fact the case, but because the contract terms were not guaranteed, any team offering to trade was offering less than what Chevy will get now? Was Chevy waiting to sign so he can better assess the amount he requires back for a trade on a young RHD signed cheap for 2 years?

I find it hard to believe even teams close to the cap were not kicking tires at this situation- maybe now they'll really inquire since a contract has been signed?

Interesting situation. I always wonder how transparent this sort of thing is among GMs. Bob McKenzie makes it seem like any and all possibilites are discussed, yet I see it being much more bluffing, refusing to show cards, and less of a dialogue when proposing/negotiating trades.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
If Winnipeg wants a top lhd, there are not much options out there.

What i mean is which teams have depth on the left side and needs on the right side :

Calgary : Girodano and Brodie on the left side and Hamilton on the right side.
Philly : Ghosts and Provorov on left and pretty much nothing on the right
NYR : McDonagh, Staal and Skjei on the left and Girardi on the right

I think we could rule out Calgary.

Remain Philly and NYR

McDonagh is going nowhere and Winnipeg wouldn't be interested in Staal.
I don't think Philly would trade Ghosts.

So Trouba for Provorov or Skjei??

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I know supposedly Dreger said, That Toronto and Winnipeg had a deal in place for Trouba. But according to Overhardt Trouba wouldn't sign it. But i guess that could change if Chevy were to deal him there now.

Now that he's under contract, he can go anywhere and has no say in the matter. Although I suspect Toronto would rescind their offer after hearing he won't re-sign there - they would have 2 years to change his mind though, plus 2 more years of control after this deal runs out.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Now that he's under contract, he can go anywhere and has no say in the matter. Although I suspect Toronto would rescind their offer after hearing he won't re-sign there - they would have 2 years to change his mind though, plus 2 more years of control after this deal runs out.

Well yeah he could be traded to Toronto for 2 years, And then stipulate that he wont resign there so what Lou would offer Chevy would be pretty minimal in a deal if he refused to resign there after 2 years.

Nov 24, 2006
After hearing the TSN guys and then Cheveldayoff speak about this, I don't get the sense that Trouba will be traded. At all.

MikeRahl

Feb 20, 2010
Well yeah he could be traded to Toronto for 2 years, And then stipulate that he wont resign there so what Lou would offer Chevy would be pretty minimal in a deal if he refused to resign there after 2 years.

Trading for Trouba is something that could get a GM fired, or get him tons of praise.

Does a team not on his list trade for him and hope over the course of 2 years they can convince him to stay. The one bonus is that they do have 2 RFA years left under arbitration, and the QO will be low due to the bridge.

Toronto might not tickle his fancy now, but what does that team look like in 2 years with Matthews developing, Marner, Kapanen, Nylander et al. Might be hard to leave that situation.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
My point stands then. He has already just signed with a Canadian team and that team can offer him big $$$ to extend the deal as early as July 1, 2017.

Yeah i think the odds that Trouba signs long term with the Jets are like zero, He could've rather easily signed a long term deal now around 6 years $33 million according to Dreger Chevy would've given him that deal. With the 2 year bridge deal signed pretty cheaply is more or less sounds like he still wants out. But at the same time wants to play hockey as well.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
I don't think Trouba will sign log term with the Jets.....But we will get him cheap for 1 1/2 years then trade him to a team in the USA with 2 years of RFA time remaining....

Im fine with that......

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Yeah i think the odds that Trouba signs long term with the Jets are like zero, He could've rather easily signed a long term deal now around 6 years $33 million according to Dreger Chevy would've given him that deal. With the 2 year bridge deal signed pretty cheaply is more or less sounds like he still wants out. But at the same time wants to play hockey as well.

Or, he could wait until Enstrom comes off the books in another year - and given that Myers also will be entering the final year of his deal after that, and sign a big deal in Winnipeg to stay on as the #1D. He can be extended by Winnipeg as early as July 1, 2017. That gives them plenty of time to avoid a messy situation in the future, and their books are clear then so they can easily afford it.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Or, he could wait until Enstrom comes off the books in another year - and given that Myers also will be entering the final year of his deal after that, and sign a big deal in Winnipeg to stay on as the #1D. He can be extended by Winnipeg as early as July 1, 2017. That gives them plenty of time to avoid a messy situation in the future, and their books are clear then so they can easily afford it.

Do we really still think this is about usage Gump? :popcorn:

I don't see it as that but I hope you are right!

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I think you're right. I still expect a trade. For one thing, a bridge deal is the last thing the Jets would have wanted considering their future salary cap structure. In a couple of years they are going to need to be re-signing Ehlers and Connor and Laine, soon thereafter. They also have players like Lowry and Armia coming off bridge deals then. They would have loved to have Trouba locked up at around $5.3 million, rather than an more expensive deal to buy out more UFA years.

I think they want Trouba to come in and play top-notch hockey to ramp up his trade value. If Trouba settles in and decides to stay, they'll make it work. But I think the end-game here is a trade, on Chevy's terms.

One consideration is that Trouba might be much more valuable after the expansion draft, when more teams would have an interest without having to protect him.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Do we really still think this is about usage Gump? :popcorn:

They drafted Trouba to build around him and likely never realistically considered trading him, despite the spin by other fans. His usage has already been strong (top-2 in Winnipeg team-wide last season 5V5, amazing numbers for a d-man that young), and is set to increase as other contracts expire. He can be the #1 D here and get paid like one.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Sounds more like speculation .....

This is not permitted per the CBA.

I know supposedly Dreger said, That Toronto and Winnipeg had a deal in place for Trouba. But according to Overhardt Trouba wouldn't sign it. But i guess that could change if Chevy were to deal him there now.

Yeah i keep forgetting that he's only a RFA, Cant's do that unless you're a under contract with a NMC/NTC.

It has nothing to do with the team I cheer for. Its not allowed and it sounded like speculation (if not pure speculation) IMHO.

Nov 24, 2006
Pretty sure that Chevy isn't going to come out and say yes Trouba is definitely getting traded. Pretty sure Chevy will keep it tight lipped no matter what.

I know how Chevy works, and yes, he's not going to say that. His typical boring answer is that he'll do what's in the best interest of the club. His words went beyond that though which is telling for a guy like Chevy. Also echoed by TSN guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00