Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Jacob Trouba signs (2 years, $3M AAV)

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Jacob Trouba spoke today following morning skate

Topics: What is it like being back? Does he still want to be traded? Why did he want to be traded? Where does he expect to play (will he play left side/right side)? What did he accomplish? Does he have some fences to mend with any teammates? When he looks back at what he has missed (camp/money) was it worth it? Why did a bridge deal make more sense? Is he prepared for any backlash from the fans? What is the biggest difference from training camp to today? What has he been doing and where was he? When does he think he will be ready to play? Does he have any regrets? What does he have to say about the rumours that he wouldn’t play in Canada? How did the meeting with Cheveldayoff a few weeks back change things? On the December 1st deadline. How much has he watched the team?

To listen click here.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Maybe they burned the bridge between them; however, I do not think the Jets did that with Trouba. Considering Trouba and Chevy met for coffee to talk seems to indicate that they came to an understanding.

The jets have two years to show Trouba where he stands in the Jets organization and to convince him to sign the extension. The bridge protects both parties here.

Agreed, but, by no means renders things solved.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
I don't have a dog in the fight. I don't want to trade the pieces required for Trouba so the only thing that has bothered me in this thread is the confidence that some Jets fans have in their GM. It's not warranted.
So you don't have a dog in this fight but it bothers you that Winnipeg Jets fans support their GM's decisions??? So far things have worked out pretty swell.

Most Jets fans agree that he's not perfect:
1) The Pav extension
2) The Stuart extension
3) Letting Frolik walk

That being said, you can at least somewhat justify why the moves were made. What errors do you think he's made? So far the Trouba situation has worked out very well for the Jets.

If you think that he should have moved Trouba already:

What were the top 3 offers received? (please order them from best to worst)
What other moves would/should be done to address the issues facing the team post trade?
What does the team do to ensure that they have not sent the wrong message to their other up and coming RFA's?

Oh, an edit from you. So you think I'm wrong now or you just don't want to publicly say that I'm not?

You need thicker skin. I agree with some of what you've said but disagree with most of it. I re-read and did an edit. I didn't mean to hit you in the feelings.

LOL

"...Thought so. Have a nice day pal."

I repeat....you need thicker skin.

aj8000

Jun 5, 2010
That's the nail in the coffin.

His time in Winnipeg is drawing to an end.

Maybe? maybe not. I guess we will find out someday. The official line is the trade request is rescinded and we will only hear about the trade the day it happens (if it does)

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
The guy is stuck in this crap hole for two more years because he needs to make a living and the Jets held all the cards.

He's just making neutral remarks to get by until he can actually leave. It's not exactly a new tactic.

What's your excuse for being "stuck in this crap hole"? You are certainly welcome to leave, especially if it means we don't have to read your drive-by, snarky comments in every Winnipeg thread.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
you tell us! How dare we have confidence in our GM, completely unwarranted! he's done absolutely nothing that has benefited the Jets during his rein in away way :sarcasm:

You tell me. When is the year that the Jets are actually suppose to contend?

I hear all about the prospects in the pipeline. Stacked everywhere. "Don't need any forwards"

What is the season where the guys are suppose to make a jump and the Jets are more than a team that does well to make a WC spot? (Or at least get that spot and be competitive in the series?)

Nov 24, 2006
Maybe they burned the bridge between them; however, I do not think the Jets did that with Trouba. Considering Trouba and Chevy met for coffee to talk seems to indicate that they came to an understanding.

The jets have two years to show Trouba where he stands in the Jets organization and to convince him to sign the extension. The bridge protects both parties here.

That's pretty interesting. Apparently Chevy and Trouba met in Detroit at a coffee shop. No Overhardt present. Wonder how Overhardt feels now.

aj8000

Jun 5, 2010

I hear all about the prospects in the pipeline. Stacked everywhere. "Don't need any forwards"

What is the season where the guys are suppose to make a jump and the Jets are more than a team that does well to make a WC spot? (Or at least get that spot and be competitive in the series?)

You sound bitter, did you want the Jets to trade him to your team?

Gabriel Landeskog

Aug 25, 2006
To further the narrative, I believe the low cap-hit is a compromise between the two parties to ensure he'll fit into the cap-structure of whatever teams he's willing to go to.

Jacob Trouba will be traded if Winnipeg Jets choose to trade him. They will have a year to negotiate a long term deal with Trouba being under contract. They will still remain in control of his RFA if they don't sign an extension prior to his of contract expiring. If it wasn't apparent previously its pretty obvious that Winnipeg has complete control over the situation for the next few years.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Maybe? maybe not. I guess we will find out someday. The official line is the trade request is rescinded and we will only hear about the trade the day it happens (if it does)

You don't have to be a PR expert to know that, sometimes, what is said/thought behind closed doors is not the same as what is said publicly.

Jacob Trouba will be traded if Winnipeg Jets choose to trade him. They will have a year to negotiate a long term deal with Trouba being under contract. They will still remain in control of his RFA if they don't sign an extension prior to his of contract expiring. If it wasn't apparent previously its pretty obvious that Winnipeg has complete control over the situation for the next few years.

And it'll be in the interest of both parties to trade Trouba if his 'coming around' to the Jets organization is just a PR stunt, and instead of negotiating a contract they'll be negotiating a trade. Never once doubted that the Jets weren't in control of a RFA.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
So you don't have a dog in this fight but it bothers you that Winnipeg Jets fans support their GM's decisions??? So far things have worked out pretty swell.

Most Jets fans agree that he's not perfect:
1) The Pav extension
2) The Stuart extension
3) Letting Frolik walk

That being said, you can at least somewhat justify why the moves were made. What errors do you think he's made? So far the Trouba situation has worked out very well for the Jets.

If you think that he should have moved Trouba already:

What were the top 3 offers received? (please order them from best to worst)
What other moves would/should be done to address the issues facing the team post trade?
What does the team do to ensure that they have not sent the wrong message to their other up and coming RFA's?

You need thicker skin. I agree with some of what you've said but disagree with most of it. I re-read and did an edit. I didn't mean to hit you in the feelings.

LOL

"...Thought so. Have a nice day pal."

I repeat....you need thicker skin.

It's not about thicker skin. You said I wasn't wrong but said I was salty. I posted a civil response saying I wasn't angry and explained why only to see you then edited the first part of your comment out leaving only your remark about being salty. Just seemed strange.

If you've read my posts at all about the Trouba situation I've said all along they shouldn't trade him until he is signed and builds his value back up. Chevy handled the Trouba situation well and he got the RFA to cave in the end. It's a battle he should've never lost because he had all the leverage. So he did well. It would've been a massive failure if he traded him for pennies on the dollar.

My reasoning for disagreeing with the Jets fans confidence in Chevy is results. The team has made the playoffs once since returning Winnipeg and they couldn't win a game.

You guys want to trust the process, that's fine. Say that. But the things that some people (main Gump Hasek) have said are just totally bonkers for a team that has done nothing. He claimed that Chevy would end up "robbing a team blind" in a Trouba deal. What basis does a Jets fan have to think that?

Other comments from random Jets fans such as "Chevy does it again" "Chevy GOAT" etc Why? The team has done nothing.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB

Probably in a few years. The typical rebuild takes anywhere from 5 to 10 years.

It's not like we don't have the right pieces in the right spot.

Goaltending has really let us down this year so far so it's a little nerve wracking hoping that comes around. That being said, super young team that has an 18 year old who's leading the league in goals....we've got plenty to be excited about.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
You sound bitter, did you want the Jets to trade him to your team?

I don't expect you to read all of my posts but I've been pretty vocal that I didn't like what Trouba was doing and that makes him, to me, not a desireable guy to trade for.

I can get past that and improve my hockey team but I'm not prepared to give up what it would take to get him.

So no, I don't want him.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008

Except next time he will be arbitration eligible with a 3.5M qualifying offer.

Two years is a long enough time for things to workout one way or the other, we have seen it go something like ROR, something like Weber, something like Subban, Turris, nobody here really knows what the deal is or if it changes between now and then, but it seems more often than not the player and team split at some point.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Like I said from the get go, the most likely outcome in these scenarios is always that nothing happens.

I think many posting here is a bit younger, but when you have followed 20 situations like the ones we have seen with Drouin and Trouba and seen how like 10-15 of them ends up with the player staying put, you know that this more or less always applies how infectious the situation.

With that said, I definitely do not think that Trouba or Winnipeg at this point are convinced to go forward and live happily ever after if you get what I mean. But, for all we know Trouba can be Winnipeg's No 1 D in a month of two while the team is climbing in the standings like a rocket or something like that. Stuff like that can make him change his mind.

Also, I know that many in Winnipeg completely cannot stand Jacob Trouba and really hates his guts. At least many have posted in this thread that they even rather see Trouba hurt than Winnipeg gain. BUT, I also think it is very important to remember that Cheevy -- traded -- for a top 4 RD very recently. People can talk about how players and kids must pay their dues and how much they should shut up and work hard. But reality is that you can't achieve much unless the team really makes way for you and pushes you forward. Like how many kids haven't we seen really really been nurtured by their team and great result come from it? Trouba OTOH saw his GM go out of his way to get an established top 4 D that surely would push him back the depth chart really hard.

That was a swap for Bogosian (another top 4 D). You make it sound like he traded a forward and brought in an extra D. Jacob has every opportunity to ascend past Myers on the depth chart. In his media interview he said he would do whatever the team wants or needs him to do.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
What's with some people's salty/bitter comments? Just say Congrats and let it go.

Yikes

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
It's not about thicker skin. You said I wasn't wrong but said I was salty. I posted a civil response saying I wasn't angry and explained why only to see you then edited the first part of your comment out leaving only your remark about being salty. Just seemed strange.

I have read your posts throughout this. Lets not pretend like you've been completely level-headed this whole time. :laugh:

If you've read my posts at all about the Trouba situation I've said all along they shouldn't trade him until he is signed and builds his value back up. Chevy handled the Trouba situation well and he got the RFA to cave in the end. It's a battle he should've never lost because he had all the leverage. So he did well. It would've been a massive failure if he traded him for pennies on the dollar.

Can't argue with you here.

My reasoning for disagreeing with the Jets fans confidence in Chevy is results. The team has made the playoffs once since returning Winnipeg and they couldn't win a game.
Rebuilds take time. We were in a weird spot where we had a mixture of vets and youth with absolutely NOTHING as far as prospects go. Go look up the prospect list from when the team moved here. It's absolutely pathetic. Now in hindsight, they should have gone scorched earth, traded the vets, and did a full blown rebuild. They didn't do that. They had a team that was in that grey area that you don't want to end up in. They also had a fanbase that wanted a winner right out of the gates.

I like what they did though. They kept their draft picks, they kept their vets, and made smaller trades when necessary. It's didn't fully work out as expected but it wasn't "wrong".

What we have now though, is a team that has a pretty good pipeline of prospects coming in and strength at most positions. Our biggest issue is letting the kids become men. Yeah it takes time. Yeah it's been frustrating. Yeah it can bring ya down. All that said, it's clear this team is heading in the right direction.

You guys want to trust the process, that's fine. Say that. But the things that some people (main Gump Hasek) have said are just totally bonkers for a team that has done nothing. He claimed that Chevy would end up "robbing a team blind" in a Trouba deal. What basis does a Jets fan have to think that?

Other comments from random Jets fans such as "Chevy does it again" "Chevy GOAT" etc Why? The team has done nothing.

I can't speak for most Jets fans as I can only speak for myself. I can see where the optimism from them comes though. Chevy has always said that he does 1 thing. He does "what's best for the Winnipeg Jets" and he's stuck to that. Outside of the 3 issues I listed before, Chevy has done very well and has earned a lot of trust from the fanbase.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Well, not quite yet.

Last game (age of forward line-up)....

18 (rookie) - 23 (vet) - 20 (sophomore)
19 (rookie) - 21 (rookie) - 30 (vet)
24 (rookie) - 23 (vet) - 21 (sophomore)
25 (vet) - 22 (sophomore) - 31 (vet)

They don't need forwards because they have a ton of excellent young forwards, but they are still very inexperienced.

Jets started in 2011 with nothing in their prospect pipeline, and the first picks from this management group are now just 23 and making a mark (e.g. Scheifele, Lowry).

You don't need to agree that they have a very strong young crop of forwards, but you would be disagreeing with just about every professional hockey analyst and commentator. You might be right, but I'm going to guess that you're wrong, and maybe that's because you are a fan of another team.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
What's with some people's salty/bitter comments? Just say Congrats and let it go.

Yikes

Because it's a discussion board, not a pat on the back forum.

It's definitely good news to get to some sort of compromise between the two parties though. Board members don't know what the compromise means but we're here to discuss it, or give our point of view.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax

To be serious contenders? I'd say 3 years away maybe as soon as 2, but that's unlikely, although a lot can happen in 2 years.. We need to become consistent playoff contenders first. We don't have prospects stacked everywhere, you ask any Jet's fan about what we have coming up on D and all you'll get is Stanley, then... question marks. Yes we have lots of promising forward prospects and young rookies/sophomores on the big club. Take a look since you seem to be so invested. THATS WHY JETS WERE SO ADAMANT ABOUT A YOUNG D MAN COMING BACK. you get that now? look at what we have up-front on the Jets, what we have coming up. Will they all pan out? no of course not, but to use a few examples - what good is a Spooner or a Kapanen really going to do? there are only so many top 6 spots available. Can they be a marginal upgrade on a few guys? yeah sure, but at the expense of a top 2 22yeard RHD, **** no. A forward could be welcomed, but it has to make sense, and outside of maybe RNH in proposals since training camp has made no sense. Pipeline we need D and C, emphasis on D.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
So then why did he turn down the supposed long term offer that was on the table?

Trouba just doing right publicly. Helps his trade value this way, smart move by all parties.

There was speculation by Bill Waters on TSN Radio that Overhardt was still trying to push for a cap hit above market value on the long term deal. So after all of this both sides relent a bit and come together on the bridge deal. Not what either side wanted but a workable situation for the Jets and Trouba.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00